Page 92 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1454
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which is ironic in its' own way.

Yeah... Batman has his share of underage Robins and is used to respecting a kid based on their skill and training and not their age...

But then he's also alwayd suspicious of Superman and Green Lantern because they're too much power to be left unchecked...

If you're afraid of an evil Superman... he should be extremely concerned about Captain Marvel
    I could be wrong, but it just appears to me that Batman instinctively trusts kids more than he trusts adults. Since Billy is a kid, while Kal is an adult, by that logic, Billy is more trustworthy, despite the similar powers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I could be wrong, but it just appears to me that Batman instinctively trusts kids more than he trusts adults. Since Billy is a kid, while Kal is an adult, by that logic, Billy is more trustworthy, despite the similar powers.
    That's an interpretation that holds, I feel. It also goes nicely with the idea that kids aren't afraid of Batman like adults are/tend to be, especially adults of the criminal persuasion.

Spectacular Member

And idk if anyone is reading doomsday clock but billy suit was on the cover of issue #9
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMzgvNjY3L29yaWdpbmFsL0REQ185Yl9DVlIuanBn.jpg

BANNED

Surprised no one talked about some of the details Johns offered about Shazam at the NY Comic Con. Herer are some of them:

"The cover kind of tells you the tone of the book,” Johns said at New York Comic Con. “It’s going to be a continuation of the first era of the book, and there’ll be a retelling of the origin, with the Rock of Eternity… I always try to make my books new-reader-friendly...We’re going to lean more into the magic, the powers of Shazam. When Billy starts exploring the Rock of Eternity, he’ll find doorways to other places. We’re going to feature Mr. Mind and Dr. Sivana.”
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/sh...revealed-by-dc

Johns said at his spotlight panel at New York Comic Con this year that we will be “exploring a new corner of the magic universe that no one’s seen before.” “Magic is often presented as being dark,” he said. “There’s a lighter side to magic,” and Shazam! will explore that.

With magic involved in the DC universe, that usually means Zatanna is sure to follow, and that’s the case with Shazam! Geoff Johns divulged that both Zatanna and Mr. Mind will be featured in the series.

We’ll dive a lot more into the magic of Shazam as well. “Shazam’s powers are kind of a rolodex — even he doesn’t know what he can do,” Johns explained. The series will go into way more depth the magic that powers him and his capabilities.

Artwork was shown from the first issue, showing Shazam at the Rock of Eternity. “We’ll start to understand what all those thrones mean,” explained Johns.

With the comic being released amidst hype for the movie, fans may be wondering if the two will have anything to do with one another. Johns explained that they will have a very similar feel and feel like part of the same universe. “It will almost feel like the sequel to the movie — it picks right back up” from where the movie leaves off, said Johns. The goal is to provide supplemental reading for fans of the movies to pick up if they become interested in the character.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-at-nycc-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    Surprised no one talked about some of the details Johns offered about Shazam at the NY Comic Con. Herer are some of them:

"The cover kind of tells you the tone of the book,” Johns said at New York Comic Con. “It’s going to be a continuation of the first era of the book, and there’ll be a retelling of the origin, with the Rock of Eternity… I always try to make my books new-reader-friendly...We’re going to lean more into the magic, the powers of Shazam. When Billy starts exploring the Rock of Eternity, he’ll find doorways to other places. We’re going to feature Mr. Mind and Dr. Sivana.”

Johns said at his spotlight panel at New York Comic Con this year that we will be “exploring a new corner of the magic universe that no one’s seen before.” “Magic is often presented as being dark,” he said. “There’s a lighter side to magic,” and Shazam! will explore that.

With magic involved in the DC universe, that usually means Zatanna is sure to follow, and that’s the case with Shazam! Geoff Johns divulged that both Zatanna and Mr. Mind will be featured in the series.

We’ll dive a lot more into the magic of Shazam as well. “Shazam’s powers are kind of a rolodex — even he doesn’t know what he can do,” Johns explained. The series will go into way more depth the magic that powers him and his capabilities.

Artwork was shown from the first issue, showing Shazam at the Rock of Eternity. “We’ll start to understand what all those thrones mean,” explained Johns.

With the comic being released amidst hype for the movie, fans may be wondering if the two will have anything to do with one another. Johns explained that they will have a very similar feel and feel like part of the same universe. “It will almost feel like the sequel to the movie — it picks right back up” from where the movie leaves off, said Johns. The goal is to provide supplemental reading for fans of the movies to pick up if they become interested in the character.

This all actually raises a question I’ve been taking for granted: is the new series going to be in continuity with new 52? I had previously assumed yes, but this interview seems to say no.

Astonishing Member

I didn't realize Zatanna would have a part in the book at some point. Kinda makes me want to see Khalid Nassour here now, too. This also makes me wonder what other magic-related characters and things will pop up down the road.

One thing I feel is apparent, and it's that Johns seems to in it for the long haul, and that's good to know.

This all actually raises a question I’ve been taking for granted: is the new series going to be in continuity with new 52? I had previously assumed yes, but this interview seems to say no.
    It's in continuity with what was done in the New 52 story, but the expansion of that story from here on out will be in Rebirth continuity, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's in continuity with what was done in the New 52 story, but the expansion of that story from here on out will be in Rebirth continuity, if that makes any sense.
    I think there will be a few changes from New 52 continuity to line up better with the movie. They are changing the Wizard's name from Mamaragan back to Shazam, for instance (as shown on the DC Nation page https://insidepulse.com/wp-content/u...8618091275.jpg

Also, really glad they got rid of all the extra lines on Cap and family's costumes. They disappeared after the first drawing on the rollercoaster.
    Last edited by maxmcco; 10-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Cool to see some of the other Mystic character show up in Shazam. I like what Johns said about exploring a lighter side of magic. Only concern I have is movie synergy. Even when the movies are great I still have reservations about borrowing too much from the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cool to see some of the other Mystic character show up in Shazam. I like what Johns said about exploring a lighter side of magic. Only concern I have is movie synergy. Even when the movies are great I still have reservations about borrowing too much from the films.
    Well, if the movie is a hit, I think they would be wise to modify Billy's bratty temperament in the comic to better match the movie version, which Sandberg said would be less caustic.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Well, if the movie is a hit, I think they would be wise to modify Billy's bratty temperament in the comic to better match the movie version, which Sandberg said would be less caustic.
    True. Movie Billy seems more reserved, if a bit snarky, than outright aggressive like in the comic.

Astonishing Member

I think there will be a few changes from New 52 continuity to line up better with the movie. They are changing the Wizard's name from Mamaragan back to Shazam, for instance (as shown on the DC Nation page https://insidepulse.com/wp-content/u...8618091275.jpg
    I didn't even realize the New 52 Wizard was called anything but the Wizard in that story. Does anyone have a screen of that name being said?

Overall, while there might be some pragmatic adaptation on the comic's end, the story should still take place approximately where Johns left off. Maybe a slyly small time skip past the winter season. Maybe not.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-11-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

True. Movie Billy seems more reserved, if a bit snarky, than outright aggressive like in the comic.
    By the point the story left off at, Billy wasn't caustic or bratty, so there'd be no reason to change anything in the upcoming run. And as mentioned multiple times, he wasn't nearly as bad as reactions blew out of proportion, and it was justified towards the story and it didn't last long at all. Of note, throughout the story, Billy was more characterized by his self-doubt and worry that he works to overcome than any caustic-ness, anyway.

People love to cite that director/writer, but given the context of the book's story, I feel he's just doing PR for those who did have that kneejerk reaction and never let it go. There really isn't anything that needs to be "toned down", especially at the risk of potentially undermining that part of Billy's character arc of him accepting his new family as a family in the movie. Regardless however, functionally speaking, I doubt the young Billy at the start of the movie will be that much removed to Billy at the start of the book, particularly with how close they seem to be following the plot (a lack of Black Adam and Sivana in his place aside).