Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    What a load of crap. Williamson did Barry dirty in this issue. If Barry wasn't trying to catch Wally's dumb ass, then most of the events in this issue would have never happened and yet Bary was given most of the blame. Williamson should really write Wally because that's who he clearly cares about. I am going to drop this series until it is given a better writer, and that would not be difficult to do.
    Oh thank god! Looking at this thread I thought I was the only one who felt Williamson is losing his **** on this one. I think I'm with you on dropping this title for a while.

This was honestly brilliant. Probably the best Flash story we've had over the last decade. Everyone got the respect they deserve, Bart was brought back etc.

The only down sides are the new forces but I can ignore it for now.

Can't wait to pick it up today. 1/2 of the band is here, just Conner and Cassie and YJ is back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I’m willing to bet that “Inmate: Crisis” is Superboy-Prime, he seemed too small to be the Anti Monitor and has far more of a Grudge against the Flash Family- Honestly I cant wait to get Eobard back and see how he reacts to Flash War (We know he’s at the center of this “Inmate: Crisis” story- Thawne’s the one who locked him away.)
    Now that I've thought about it more, yeah this makes the most sense. Esspecially paralleling the return of Bart. I recall Williamson talking about needing a story reason to reintroduce members of the Flash family. The return of Superboy-Prime would definitely qualify given their history.
    Last edited by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper; 07-11-2018 at 07:44 AM.

So, no return of Jay, Max, or either Johnny or Jesse Quick?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, only Bart.

Max will probably return soon- Especially with Bart here again, I’m sure he’ll reach out to him

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

From a story point of view, this was trash - basically just borderline incomprehensible nonsense about the different Forces, which I just hate - but the character stuff was really good. In particular, Williamson continues to write a very solid Wally West (it's not Waid but it's at least as good as Johns) and he does finally return him to equal status with Barry here. Giving him a focus on bringing back his family (and the rest of the Flash family) could work well as an initial start to his own book. I just hope that Williamson doesn't quickly abandon it just to set up Sanctuary. A desperate, focused Wally is one thing but I really don't need him written as tragic - especially as he is now both the fastest and most experiences Flash around. Barry, on the other hand, well, they've just taken the "Barry is the worst" refrain from the TV show and applied it to him in the comics. An interesting way to go after lionizing the character for decades...

And oh yeah, not only is Bart back but he's back as Impulse! That almost makes all that Forces nonsense worth it.

But seriously. The "Still Force". Good lord.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    . . . Barry, on the other hand, well, they've just taken the "Barry is the worst" refrain from the TV show and applied it to him in the comics. An interesting way to go after lionizing the character for decades . . .
    No return of my missing favorites, as well as comments like this, definitely makes it sound like I saved my time and money by not buying into this arc.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

No return of my missing favorites, as well as comments like this, definitely makes it sound like I saved my time and money by not buying into this arc.
    Yeah, but have you liked the way Barry has been portrayed since his return in Rebirth (the first one)? I really like Barry in those flashback stories by Mark Waid but, man, have I disliked him ever since he returned. Not just for the sidelining of Wally West but because of the sense that they sidelined Wally for this insufferable bore, who pretty much represents the opposite of who Barry Allen really ought to be. And if this issue wasn't proof that Williamson would much rather be writing a Wally book, I don't know what is.

Incidentally, I don't think it will be too long before at least a few more members of the old Flash family return. With Bart back, how could Max not be far behind? And if Max returns then Jay can only follow.

Oh, and if that is Superman(boy) Prime at the end there, I will be very, very unhappy. I despise that character.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Not yet anyway.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Yeah, but have you liked the way Barry has been portrayed since his return in Rebirth (the first one)? I really like Barry in those flashback stories by Mark Waid but, man, have I disliked him ever since he returned.
    Actually, I wasn't back to regularly reading comic books yet when Barry was originally brought (though I eventually got the tpb collection of that).
    Did read the Brightest Day-connected Flash series by Geoff Johns and that was hit-or-miss. Didn't like the Johns retcon of the dead Mommy when Barry was a kid (Nora Allen was still alive and well back in the pre-CoIE days), and Johns seemed too obsessed with quirky Silver Age stuff (like the bow-tie thing!!!) that Barry had outgrown in the 1970s (when I originally started reading Barry's adventures by Cary Bates).
    The New52 Flash run by Manapul & Buccellato was generally enjoyable, but I dropped the title after they were gone and haven't regularly bought/read it since.

Not just for the sidelining of Wally West but because of the sense that they sidelined Wally for this insufferable bore, who pretty much represents the opposite of who Barry Allen really ought to be. And if this issue wasn't proof that Williamson would much rather be writing a Wally book, I don't know what is.
    I, unfortunately, have grown to hate Wally West's character, and not because of any stories I read. Wally fans and the anti-Barry venom of a few of them just made Wally toxic for me (which is really a shame, but they sucked any enjoyment I once had for the character). It may seem illogical that it's not stories with Wally that are causing me to feel this way, but it's just the internet strength of all those haters.

Incidentally, I don't think it will be too long before at least a few more members of the old Flash family return. With Bart back, how could Max not be far behind? And if Max returns then Jay can only follow.
    Jay shouldn't have to follow Max, and after everything DC has been doing to delay/avoid bringing back the classic Golden Age characters over the past seven years, I really have very little hope that they'll finally bring them back closer to the way they once were any time in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-11-2018 at 09:06 AM.

I won’t be reading this at any point, not even as a free library take out.

I can’t imagine two heroes (Barry and Wally) who I less want to see seriously compete against each other. Yes, I’m sure a very clever writer could make it a “convincing” story how it came about. But it’s not a story I want to read.

But seriously. The "Still Force". Good lord.
    I don’t know at what point the speed force jumped the shark. Mayhap over 20 years ago.

But put it this way I thought it was near impsossible to make it any worse. But it sounds like I’ve been proven wrong yet again.

I assume it was introduced to try to put a scientific gloss on Flash’s existing speed feats. But it’s been a magic macguffin for years now to allow main Flash to do absolutely anything. Boring.

These forces are kind of silly, but that return was interesting. I think the Flashs need another book for all these speedsters.