View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 511 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 114114615015075085095105115125135145155215616111011 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,665 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    i think they should up the output of Absolutes, we get what? a couple or three a year? what's on the Horizon? only some multi part Absolutes, Preacher, Y, Transmet, i want some more standalone Absolutes
    The problem with this is, it goes against what the Absolute was meant for in the first place. They were supposed to be reserved for the best of the best DC had to offer, and mainly catering to shorter self contained stories. Having big runs like Y and Preacher put into Absolutes is a little strange to me. Despite them being great stories, their length lends better to an omnibus or deluxe format. Sandman is an exception to the rule imo.

i think they should up the output of Absolutes, we get what? a couple or three a year? what's on the Horizon? only some multi part Absolutes, Preacher, Y, Transmet, i want some more standalone Absolutes
    I don't think they should up the output but I do want more standalones. The Neal Adams Green Arrow/Lantern is coming out soon, so that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    The problem with this is, it goes against what the Absolute was meant for in the first place. They were supposed to be reserved for the best of the best DC had to offer, and mainly catering to shorter self contained stories. Having big runs like Y and Preacher put into Absolutes is a little strange to me. Despite them being great stories, their length lends better to an omnibus or deluxe format. Sandman is an exception to the rule imo.

Completely agree. The Y and Transmet were surprises. By the time Preacher got announced not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I don't think they should up the output but I do want more standalones. The Neal Adams Green Arrow/Lantern is coming out soon, so that's cool.

Completely agree. The Y and Transmet were surprises. By the time Preacher got announced not so much.
    They should put out a few more Superman Absolutes. Godfall and Birthright for starters. Maybe Birthright wouldn't happen because its written by Waid but it deserves either a deluxe or absolute edition.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    They should put out a few more Superman Absolutes. Godfall and Birthright for starters. Maybe Birthright wouldn't happen because its written by Waid but it deserves either a deluxe or absolute edition.
    I only have two asks for Superman. 1) an Absolute or Deluxe Birthright. And 2) Same for Byrne's Man of Steel.
    Last edited by pud333; 12-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Yep:

Think I'll go for it.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 12-13-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I would rather they up their omnibus and deluxe output. They really should look at what Marvel are doing there in terms of output. At present, they are just failing to capitalise on a growing market/fandom who are eating up OHC content.

Absolutes should then be reserved for the crème de la crème of what DC is putting out. They should be a special exception, not the rule. Unlike OHC, which should be the rule for most titles.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I would rather they up their omnibus and deluxe output. They really should look at what Marvel are doing there in terms of output. At present, they are just failing to capitalise on a growing market/fandom who are eating up OHC content.

Absolutes should then be reserved for the crème de la crème of what DC is putting out. They should be a special exception, not the rule. Unlike OHC, which should be the rule for most titles.

Definitely (10 char)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    I only have two asks for Superman. 1) an Absolute or Deluxe Birthright. And 2) Same for Byrne's Man of Steel.
    Deluxes for Birthright and All-Star, and omnis for Byrne.

Get on it, DC.

Incredible Member

I think DC just sees the money signs in customers eyes. The Absolute format is obviously relatively successful for DC to be doing it for a while now. They see how successful the Omnibus market is too. So they know they can pump out a series in Absolute form and collectors will gobble it up, and then down the road they can just return to an Omnibus or Deluxe edition for more collector sales. We've seen it with Sandman and Planetary and New Frontier and probably some others. I'd cite Identity Crisis but I think that Absolute went on clearance and I don't know who asked for the recent Deluxe Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I'd be very keen on Birthright. What's the issue between Waid and DC?

Incredible Member

I'd be very keen on Birthright. What's the issue between Waid and DC?
    Part of it is an issue between Dan DiDio and Mark Waid, apparently. DiDio was essentially the Editor in Chief of DC for many years. Now he's the co-publisher of DC alongside Jim Lee, while Geoff Johns' title is something like "Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment." Those three basically get to call the shots about what's happening with the comic books. Back when DiDio was EIC, he hated what Waid (and the other writers) did on "52," and thought "Countdown" was a better execution of that concept. Also, this happened regarding Waid's return to write Wally West Flash in 2006: “…once I committed to the project and we’d solicited the first issue, before even one script was finished every single promise that had been made to me to get me back aboard was reneged upon, so integrity and backbone demanded I quit on principle before the first issue even came out. The only reason I stayed six was because of my loyalty to my editor, who didn’t deserve to be screwed.” It's not explicit this was DiDio's doing, but when the guy is basically at or near the top, there's probably a good chance he was involved.

So Waid and DiDio apparently do not get along great, and Waid probably has some issues with some of the higher ups on the comics side at DC. Who those were in addition to DiDio during his time there before he left, I'm not sure. Waid also didn't hold back from speaking out about these issues once he moved onto other things, like being the EIC at Boom.

This is anecdotal evidence, and I may be remembering incorrectly, but I saw Waid speak at a con a handful of years back and I believe DiDio was in the audience and Waid spotted him and said something friendly. So who knows if this animosity is just personal or just business.

But Waid's business relationship with DiDio and DC seems damaged enough that no one expects to see any Waid-centric books or projects other than the evergreen best seller "Kingdom Come" be given any special treatment. So probably no Waid Wally West Flash Omnibuses, no Superman Birthright fancy editions.

Since we're talking Absolutes, let me say once again that an Absolute Golden Age with Paul Smith's beautiful art in the best possible oversized format is still top of my wish list. Not just for absolutes, but for any OHC from all the publishers. (And an Absolute We3 would also be great, while we're at it.)

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Back when DiDio was EIC, he hated what Waid (and the other writers) did on "52," and thought "Countdown" was a better execution of that concept.
    So strange to me. Do you know any details about what he disliked?

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Cheap it wasn't, but oh so worth it:

LordJulius,

Is this gallery editions just art? It can't be an actual comic series since it doesn't have a lot of pages.
    This is rare artistic material from original issues, something like that?
    It looks cool.

Did anyone on here get the Green Lantern / Green Arrow Absolute? Does anyone have it in their hands yet? Can you supply pics?

I'm mainly curious how big it is, the issues it covers, it feels somewhat smallish.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.