Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Welp when the supreme intelligence of your planet is A.I you're probably off to a wrong start.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention the thing that made me laugh in this video. The reason that the story supposedly needed a rewrite:

"She never actually seems like she needs Jude Laws character's approval, so it can't feel all that triumphant when she rejects it."

I mean do I need to point out how fundamentally flawed this line of thinking is? If you start to suggest changes off of this premise you might as well forget the actual message of the film completely.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Welp when the supreme intelligence of your planet is A.I you're probably off to a wrong start.
    I always loved that their own ruler -- the Supreme Intelligence -- decided it was best for the Kree to destroy them. That's next-level "Kill all humans" from a robot right there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I always loved that their own ruler -- the Supreme Intelligence -- decided it was best for the Kree to destroy them. That's next-level "Kill all humans" from a robot right there.
    Yeah that seems to be the endgame for all a.i to become murderous to humans lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If you start to suggest changes off of this premise you might as well forget the actual message of the film completely.
    What WAS the actual message of the film?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That she never needed a man’s approval to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Thank you. I really didn't think we needed to explain that point but hey. Go figure. The problem is this can very quickly get to the point of mansplaining feminism.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    We were clearly watching different movies.
    Nah. We just have different opinions and thats ok.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Kree bad, Skrull good. Let Ronin live and kill his minions instead, because he's needed later in GotG?

I got absolutely no hint of feminism or need to prove herself whatsoever in the film. She starts out amazingly badass and independent and ends even more badass and still independent. The only arcs she had was her discovery of her Kree-obliterated past history (which made almost no impact) and her somewhat confusing discovery that the Kree were bad guys and the Skrull were not.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I don’t think they developed that message very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    her somewhat confusing discovery that the Kree were bad guys and the Skrull were not.
    Yeah, I don’t really recall her contemplating about that much. She just shugs her shoulders and easily moved on.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-18-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I don’t think they developed that message very well.
    Yep.

If that was the thesis of the film, it was poorly illustrated.

Yep.

If that was the thesis of the film, it was poorly illustrated.
    The flashbacks full of people telling her she couldn’t do things and her final confrontation with Yon Rogg made it pretty explicit. Maybe you weren’t paying attention.

The flashbacks full of people telling her she couldn’t do things and her final confrontation with Yon Rogg made it pretty explicit. Maybe you weren’t paying attention.
    Except Yon Rogg totally had respect for her for the entire film, until she went against his tribe (the Kree).

The flashbacks were so simplistic, though. It was honestly hard to take them as some kind of serious moments that would have traumatized her. Hard to connect them in any way to her now. Especially because the entire premise of the movie was that she actually didn't remember her past. Its confusing!

BANNED

As bad as feared if you are being honest.

Shocked to say Captain Marvel is Marvel Studios Green Lantern movie. In fact, I honestly think Green Lantern may be better. Think about that for a minute. As bad as Green Lantern was, at least the lead actor was somewhat likeable. In Captain Marvel, Brie Larson is as bad and as uncharismatic as we all feared. Both films revolve around asinine plot turns and badly written characters. More is the pity for Captain Marvel since it sits directly in the MCU and what has come before has been so great.

Everything was ham-fisted and poorly handled with no story arcs at all. Meaning everything is actually flat lined. She is the exact same character on the inside first act through third act. Seriously.

What they did for her powers may have seemed like a brilliant idea but all it does is water down what has come before and reeks of desperation to tie this new character to better heroes. Once fully powered, her power levels are so inconsistent. Even before, nothing matched and everything felt off.

As disappointing as the lead is, the supporting cast was worse. Nick Fury shows flashes of cool but was in fact a simpleton played for humor. Phil Coulson is barely in the movie. THAT is a genuine let down. Also, the less said about the cat the better. All jokes go through the cat. If you thought the humor in Thor: The Dark World was fit in to the wrong places at the wrong time then this will be even worse for you.

Overall, lame attempt at world building, lame lead and extremely average action. Captain Marvel is indeed the absolute bottom of the MCU barrel, along with Ragnarok.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    As bad as feared if you are being honest.

Shocked to say Captain Marvel is Marvel Studios Green Lantern movie. In fact, I honestly think Green Lantern may be better. Think about that for a minute. As bad as Green Lantern was, at least the lead actor was somewhat likeable. In Captain Marvel, Brie Larson is as bad and as uncharismatic as we all feared. Both films revolve around asinine plot turns and badly written characters. More is the pity for Captain Marvel since it sits directly in the MCU and what has come before has been so great.

Everything was ham-fisted and poorly handled with no story arcs at all. Meaning everything is actually flat lined. She is the exact same character on the inside first act through third act. Seriously.

What they did for her powers may have seemed like a brilliant idea but all it does is water down what has come before and reeks of desperation to tie this new character to better heroes. Once fully powered, her power levels are so inconsistent. Even before, nothing matched and everything felt off.

As disappointing as the lead is, the supporting cast was worse. Nick Fury shows flashes of cool but was in fact a simpleton played for humor. Phil Coulson is barely in the movie. THAT is a genuine let down. Also, the less said about the cat the better. All jokes go through the cat. If you thought the humor in Thor: The Dark World was fit in to the wrong places at the wrong time then this will be even worse for you.

Overall, lame attempt at world building, lame lead and extremely average action. Captain Marvel is indeed the absolute bottom of the MCU barrel, along with Ragnarok.
    The movie-going public that have made this film a smash success don't agree with you.

I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel kicking Thanos' ass in Avengers Endgame!