Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Short answer: YES. To a great extent thanks to Chris Claremont.
    The funny thing is Claremont would likely be accused of being an SJW and "forcing diversity" and "sidelining male characters" in our current climate.

That said he was far more nuanced about it and made it organically part of the story.

You could add Madelyn to the outback era. She was on the team but not on the missions (most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    The funny thing is Claremont would likely be accused of being an SJW and "forcing diversity" and "sidelining male characters" in our current climate.

That said he was far more nuanced about it and made it organically part of the story.
    I’m sick of all the forced diversity in reality. Why is everyone not just like me?

Totally. It's the underlying bad faith element of those who point to past eras of diverse characters in comics as somehow being more "organic" than the present wave. With the mindset of these fans, there is no doubt that those same accusations would have levied against Claremont.

BANNED

Some of the **** in this thread is repugnant. Time to break out the block.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Indeed. Political correctness isn’t immune to criticism, and there are well-intentioned and constructive ways of making it. Like you mentioned, he was more nuanced and organic about it in a way that can be simply summed up as good writing on his part.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Indeed. Political correctness isn’t immune to criticism, and there are well-intentioned and constructive ways of making it. Like you mentioned, he was more nuanced and organic about it in a way that can be simply summed up as good writing on his part.
    Absolutely. We wouldn't be discussing issues of diversity if wasn't for his exceptional approach to the topic. He wasn't immune to the pitfalls of the exceptional negro trope with Storm in a few aspects that can still be felt, though.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Absolutely. We wouldn't be discussing issues of diversity if wasn't for his exceptional approach to the topic. He wasn't immune to the pitfalls of the exceptional negro trope with Storm in a few aspects that can still be felt, though.
    I recall that Claremont’s approach was that it was so much fun and interesting to have these new characters from different backgrounds because of the potentially interesting interactions, with characters like Storm and Wolfsbane and all. It wasn’t just about reducing characters to labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Here's some perspective:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3, released in 2011, had four female representatives of the Marvel side. They were Phoenix, Storm, She-Hulk and X-23. They actually considered the idea of adding Carol (at the time she was Ms. Marvel), but decided against it because her style wasn't distinctive and they didn't think she was popular enough to include. Let it set that in: they thought variants of Hulk and Wolverine (already in the game) were unique, more popular, and thus more worthy of inclusion, then Carol. This was just before she got pushed so hard, too.

So yeah, if you need proof that her push was so recent and only came about by the MCU, there you go.
    Speaking of marvel v capcom, X-men legends is perhaps one of the few superhero games in history that had nearly an equal balance of male and female players.

Female Players
    Jean
    Magma
    Emma
    Rogue
    Psylocke
    Jubilee

Male
    Cyclops
    Wolverine
    Gambit
    Beast
    Nightcrawler
    Piotr
    Iceman

You can't make a game on that if you don't have the females.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I recall that Claremont’s approach was that it was so much fun and interesting to have these new characters from different backgrounds because of the potentially interesting interactions, with characters like Storm and Wolfsbane and all. It wasn’t just about reducing characters to labels.
    I find it's most often the critics that reduce the characters to labels, usually well before the book even comes out. And I think it's quite naïve to think the same wouldn't have happened to Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Yeah, I mean, whatever was the original point of all this again? Oh, yeah, someone was unhappy that Captain Marvel was getting a lot of attention as of late (what with a successful movie and all that).

deja_q_hd_046.jpg
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I mean, whatever was the original point of all this again? Oh, yeah, someone was unhappy that Captain Marvel was getting a lot of attention as of late (what with a successful movie and all that).

deja_q_hd_046.jpg
    Successful movie of zero substance I prefer good quality movies though.

Don't forget most of the attention was all negative for Carol.

I prefer the wonder woman attention instead. good movie, good actress, good character, good film making choices. Captain marvel had none of these so her successful film is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Nope.

Besides, many already had this views about carol before her movie. its not repugnant, carol has always been this way even among readers. I heard she was a pain to use in marvel vs capcom. Also why should they block a thread that has done some good factchecking on the xmen females in a thread created about them? lol. shout out to the Dazzler's run again. I didn't even know she had so many solo issues. Its not xmen females problem that carol looks incompetent to them.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Yes, they are. The X-women are way more interesting than even most guys on comics.
    I never cared about the other ladies from the larger universe.
    Last edited by LostZargatan; 09-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Successful movie of zero substance I prefer good quality movies though.

Don't forget most of the attention was all negative for Carol.

I prefer the wonder woman attention instead. good movie, good actress, good character, good film making choices. Captain marvel had none of these so her successful film is worthless.

Nope.

Besides, many already had this views about carol before her movie. its not repugnant, carol has always been this way even among readers. I heard she was a pain to use in marvel vs capcom. Also why should they block a thread that has done some good factchecking on the xmen females in a thread created about them? lol. shout out to the Dazzler's run again. I didn't even know she had so many solo issues. Its not xmen females problem that carol looks incompetent to them.
    The attention was negative from people like Sargon of Akkad, the False Rape Society, and Return of Kings. All because she hurt their feelings by saying the movie was intended towards girls and women.

When people start sending murder and rape threats to an actor/actress, their opinion officially means less than nothing, period.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

deja_q_hd_046.jpg
    I'd make a point about people needing to learn that you can hype women characters up without tearing others down, but I'm fairly certain this whole thread was just a bad-faith excuse to **** on a character that's played by an actress who has been falsely accused of misandry by trolls in attempts to justify and motivate sexist attacks.