Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Really? Where'd you find that
    In this podcast around the 34 minute mark:

http://fullofsith.com/archives/1113

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    In this podcast around the 34 minute mark:

http://fullofsith.com/archives/1113
    Okay, thanks. Appreciate that. I wonder how that'd affect the show - and what Weisman'd move on to afterwards?

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Just watched the Rebels Spark of Rebellion movie.

I liked it a lot. Much better a start than the 2008 Clone Wars movie.

It exceeded my expectations. Music was great, the CG animation (not my style) was better than I was expecting, there was not monotonous action which was something that irked me about TCW. There's quiet moments and the movie sets up all the characters, mostly in relation to Ezra. There's quite a bit of death as a result of the actions taken as well but handled in a PG sort of way.

Overall, a very good start.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
    Just watched the Rebels Spark of Rebellion movie.

I liked it a lot. Much better a start than the 2008 Clone Wars movie.

It exceeded my expectations. Music was great, the CG animation (not my style) was better than I was expecting, there was not monotonous action which was something that irked me about TCW. There's quiet moments and the movie sets up all the characters, mostly in relation to Ezra. There's quite a bit of death as a result of the actions taken as well but handled in a PG sort of way.

Overall, a very good start.
    I'm glad you liked it so much, Magnar. Expressed very well, clearly, and like an encouraging mini-review.

What do you mean by monotonous action, though? And, what is the animation here not your style, or CG in general?

Also, would it have been worthy of the cinema, you think?

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

I'm glad you liked it so much, Magnar. Expressed very well, clearly, and like an encouraging mini-review.

What do you mean by monotonous action, though? And, what is the animation here not your style, or CG in general?

Also, would it have been worthy of the cinema, you think?
    I haven't finished TCW yet, I'm in the middle of Season 5 somewhere right now, but I feel that the story takes a backseat in too many episodes to action sequences. There's been some good arcs, I especially like when that show tries to get a little weird and unconventional with the story. I did skip ahead see the Yoda arc from Season 6 already back in March, that was good. I hope Rebels continues to get the balance correct.

I prefer hand-drawn art and animation. I find most TV and animated movie CG to be kind of boring and sometimes cheap looking, but I digress. 2D can be cheap looking as well like South Park and all that kiddie stuff the networks put out.

This movie is really just the first two episodes, it's a fairly self contained thing except for the last little segment (you'll know it when you see it). Nothing MASSIVE and grandiose has happened (yet) but it's satisfying in the way that a pilot episode for TV series should be. It's strength is in what it establishes.

If I were to compare what I've seen of Rebels to something outside of Star Wars, it would be Joss Whedon's Firefly.

Which itself of course was informed by Star Wars. Except the main character is set up to be a kid that is akin to Aladdin, though like TCW often drifted I'm sure there will be episodes designed around the other characters so long as the show doesn't get cancelled before that happens.
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 09-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.

So, the Star Wars: Rebels film, hour long, I believe, premiere, Star Wars: Rebels: A Spark Of Rebellion, is available to watch today, using the Disney XD app.

Are many here thinking of watching it using that, waiting until the preview on the 3rd of October, or the official premiere on the 13th?

So, have many seen the preview, A Spark Of Rebellion, as of yet, be it through Disney XD App, around 29th September on, or on Disney XD itself earlier today?

If not, what are your expectations, or hopes, if any?

If so, what'd you think of it?

Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Like the Original Trilogy designs, not so much the character animation.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Like the Original Trilogy designs, not so much the character animation.
    What was it about the animation that you weren't so fond of? And how would you compare it to The Clone Wars?

Ultimate Member

Overall I really liked it. Sure it wasn't perfect and there are some kinks to work out, but it was solid. I'd give it an 8/10, maybe an 8.5. I liked most of the animation, but wasn't found of the Wookie design. It wasn't terrible, but it was just meh. I was also much more brutal than I thought that Disney XD would let them get away with.

Watched it last night. I thought it was pretty good. It had heart, humor, and action. That's basically everything a Star Wars movie or show is supposed to have. It didn't do anything too groundbreaking though. The animation was good, but not spectacular. The voice acting was good, but not spectacular. There's really nothing about this show that's really bad so far. But it hasn't done anything to be better than good just yet. I'm definitely willing to give it a full season to see where it can go.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

What was it about the animation that you weren't so fond of? And how would you compare it to The Clone Wars?
    The characters were soft looking like they were all air-brushed. The Wookies were especially so.

Some of the movements weren't as smooth as I'd like, but then it's TV not a Movie.

In Clone Wars, everything looked like it was chiseled from wood. Which I liked sometimes and hated others, but i really liked the show.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"Spark of Rebellion" was outstanding! I thought the CGI was quite good especially the use of texture.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Ultimate Member

So did anyone else get the sense that Kanan and Hera might be a couple? She did call him "love" at one point and they did seem rather close. Oh and Sabine's "let's just blow crap up" attitude is going to be fun.

The Wookiees looked terrible, but the rest of it was good.