Page 185 of 258 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 3858
    Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    As others have said Diana has been canonically vegetarian in multiple runs but also it's not that deep.....they just made up a generic macho man drink like Muscle Milk
    It just looks like bottled milk, like an enriched milk, and here at least, drinking milk is NOT associated with manliness, at all. Not only that but dairy is linked to declining male fertility actually so why milk of all things…It gave me pause

If it’s supposed to be some kind of protein shake, then it just went over my head. I would never guess that a glass bottle filled with “milk” is actually supposed to be a macho man protein drink

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Why is it any sort of a problem if Diana eats a salad? Most people eat vegetables whether they're vegan or not.
    I didn't say it was, I eat salad every day, in fact I grow my own. To me it’s something you have on the side though, I would never order a salad at a restaurant to be honest. Maybe the salad just the entrée though

I know Wonder Woman is a vegetarian under Rucka but she’s also the kind of person that wears brown oversized wool sweaters, who likes to watch the sunset, drinks green tea, eats tofu and doesn’t use contractions. Doesn’t she sound like fun

I does make sense for someone who can communicate with animals, but in that case I'd rather she didn't communicate with animals

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    She can talk to animals. Of course, it makes sense.

I can see her occasionally eating meat but rarely.
    It depends on the writer. As I keep saying, everything is canon since they do not want to make a permanent template on Wonder Womans powerset. Maybe one writer doesn't think she should talk to animals, maybe another writer does. Until they are consistent with this, my question is, "do we really care whether she is vegetarian or not"?

Sorry for the rant, but this everything is canon is just a big brain fart that DC is now using to cover the inconsistencies these new writers bring in. At least that is my opinion.

Yeah, I like that Cloonrad's run has been a real balance of all aspects of the character's world. Even with her best runs it feels like "pick 2 - mythology, Amazon lore, standard superheroics" (Perez didn't do much superhero stuff, Rucka never dug into Amazon lore, Gail didn't do much with mythology), but this is probably the first run since Jimenez that fully embraces all 3.

But honestly? I can tell they love writing the book, but I don't sense a particularly passionate love for the character or her world. It's a problem that spans across all of the recent in-continuity writers on WW books/minis (Vita Ayala, Joelle Jones with any character other than Yara, Stephanie Williams). They're clearly having fun with it and want to do right by their characters, and I can especially see that Stephanie Williams really wants to make her mark on Nubia, but none of them seem like they gave WW or her world much thought until they were assigned her books.

I know that seems like a lot to expect, but when I think of the most popular WW runs (Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone) and the fan favorites (e.g. Steve Orlando), the writers were all so clearly in love with Diana. They had strong, clear visions for the character, her mythos, and what she represented, and their stories aimed to capture the core of that. It's the kind of love you see with Mark Waid and Superman or Geoff Johns and Green Lantern. I'm enjoying the Cloonrad run and I'm perfectly happy to see them stick around for a minute, but I really hope whoever gets the book next is a fan going into it.

As others have said Diana has been canonically vegetarian in multiple runs but also it's not that deep.....they just made up a generic macho man drink like Muscle Milk
    Please stop trying to say Gail Simone's run was popular, it was not. Gail Simone herself is popular but her Wonder Woman run was problematic at best, terrible at worst. I'm not picking on her I just hate attempts at revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I didn't say it was, I eat salad every day, in fact I grow my own. To me it’s something you have on the side though, I would never order a salad at a restaurant to be honest. Maybe the salad just the entrée though

I know Wonder Woman is a vegetarian under Rucka but she’s also the kind of person that wears brown oversized wool sweaters, who likes to watch the sunset, drinks green tea, eats tofu and doesn’t use contractions. Doesn’t she sound like fun

I does make sense for someone who can communicate with animals, but in that case I'd rather she didn't communicate with animals
    How long have you been reading Wonder Woman? I've never seen her in an oversized brown wool sweater and I really don't want to.

Doesn’t Wonder Woman spend most of her time wearing a bodice and fighting monsters and gods? Or are you just afraid Wonder Woman is going to do all of these things because she’s sometimes a vegetarian?
    Plus, none of those things you listed are necessary bad, so I don’t understand this criticism.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-05-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm not a vegan/vegetarian but I've ordered salads at restaurants as my entree and I drink green tea every day. Does that mean I'm boring? Habits and life choices don't make a person boring. Their personality usually does.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Please stop trying to say Gail Simone's run was popular, it was not. Gail Simone herself is popular but her Wonder Woman run was problematic at best, terrible at worst. I'm not picking on her I just hate attempts at revisionist history.
    I mean, her run objectively IS popular...nearly every list of her best arcs includes The Circle. Even George Perez only agreed to pencil his last-ever WW story if Gail Simone agreed to write it. If you don't like it that's one thing but the consensus from fans is overwhelmingly positive.

And I don't see what's at all problematic about the changes she made to the birth story. It didn't fundamentally change it or its meaning like Azzarello's, it just gave it more depth and added flaws to the Amazons that are actually nuanced/compelling. I also think it was really important to get the perspective of a woman (especially a mother) in her origin.

The real shame is that so many of the interesting changes she made have been totally disregarded. I'm pretty sure the only WW book that's addressed The Circle in any way since is Historia because Phil included an homage to Alkyone as one of the original Amazons. And I still have no idea why they created Jason when they already had Achilles, who served as an excellent male foil to Diana without diminishing her.

I don't see the problem here, didn't we already establish that she's bisexual?

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm veg and like all of those things. And as far as I know I haven't been accused of being boring...

I mean, her run objectively IS popular...nearly every list of her best arcs includes The Circle. Even George Perez only agreed to pencil his last-ever WW story if Gail Simone agreed to write it. If you don't like it that's one thing but the consensus from fans is overwhelmingly positive.

And I don't see what's at all problematic about the changes she made to the birth story. It didn't fundamentally change it or its meaning like Azzarello's, it just gave it more depth and added flaws to the Amazons that are actually nuanced/compelling. I also think it was really important to get the perspective of a woman (especially a mother) in her origin.

The real shame is that so many of the interesting changes she made have been totally disregarded. I'm pretty sure the only WW book that's addressed The Circle in any way since is Historia because Phil included an homage to Alkyone as one of the original Amazons. And I still have no idea why they created Jason when they already had Achilles, who served as an excellent male foil to Diana without diminishing her.
    One good story does not make a good run. She took over the book when sales were extremely high thanks to Heinberg and to a lesser extent Picoult. After the Circle sales started to fall drastically until eventually she was fired after dividing the fan base and losing fifty percent of readers.

One good story does not make a good run. She took over the book when sales were extremely high thanks to Heinberg and to a lesser extent Picoult. After the Circle sales started to fall drastically until eventually she was fired after dividing the fan base and losing fifty percent of readers.
    Something being financially successful isn't an earmark if something is also considered good.

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm veg and like all of those things. And as far as I know I haven't been accused of being boring...
    It really is one of the weirdest complaints about WW that I've ever seen. I can only think he's trolling us at this point.

Also, tofu is fucking great if you season it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Something being financially successful isn't an earmark if something is also considered good.
    Yeah, cause every day someone here is clamoring for the return of the Gorilla Knights. I'm being sarcastic but there were tremendous pacing issues and problems with story beats that had nothing to do with the editorial interference that many site as the reason for the run's failure.

I wouldn't mind the Gorilla Knights coming back......
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Yeah, cause every day someone here is clamoring for the return of the Gorilla Knights. I'm being sarcastic but there were tremendous pacing issues and problems with story beats that had nothing to do with the editorial interference that many site as the reason for the run's failure.
    I liked the Gorilla Knights.

If you didn't like the run that's fine, there's stuff I didn't like in it either, but something being financially successful shouldn't be a sole indicator if something is considered good or allowed to like. Yara's book outsold Diana's but that book was largely a snoozefest to me.

Batman regularly tops the comic charts but let's not pretend every Batman story that comes out is DKR.