Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

I take the new gold look over the scruffy rags that he currently wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's honestly a bit too much gold with Thor's new look (I don't think it would work well with Jane either) .
    if this keeps up, Thor will become Uru - Man.

he looks ridiculous.

give me this and he is redeemed

Kinda feels like choosing between two evils, if I'm honest, but at least Monica and Noh-Varr generally get used (and used well) now and again and it seems like Phyla might be coming back (or so I've heard from Duggans Guardians).

Conversely being "important to the publisher" can backfire because that affords more opportunities to screw the character up. Just look at Carol and Civil War II or even how badly Tony was characterized in that event and the original.

Jane's been a financial success so Marvel will probably find a way for her to stick around even once Thor becomes the main Thor again.
    all this talk about how Thor will become Thor again feels so off like its some bad fan fiction.

ANYWAY, Carol will pushed even harder now because her movie is getting close so expect some crazy **** going on over the next year.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    if this keeps up, Thor will become Uru - Man.

he looks ridiculous.

give me this and he is redeemed

all this talk about how Thor will become Thor again feels so off like its some bad fan fiction.

ANYWAY, Carol will pushed even harder now because her movie is getting close so expect some crazy **** going on over the next year.
    Well, that's the thing, isn't it. Carol gets pushed and pushed and never seems to get anywhere.

Jane rocks in from nowhere and just blitzes it [no pun intended].
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I take the new gold look over the scruffy rags that he currently wearing.
    Yeah, at least he finally looks like himself again.
    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, that's the thing, isn't it. Carol gets pushed and pushed and never seems to get anywhere.

Well, I think for Jane it helped that she had a good foundation to work from with the entire Thor mythos.

With Carol it feels like they're constantly starting from scratch and trying to find something that "works," even down to when she first became Captain Marvel. Heck, one could even say it was true back when she was Ms. Marvel

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, at least he finally looks like himself again.

Well, I think for Jane it helped that she had a good foundation to work from with the entire Thor mythos.

With Carol it feels like they're constantly starting from scratch and trying to find something that "works," even down to when she first became Captain Marvel. Heck, one could even say it was true back when she was Ms. Marvel
    Yes, that is quite true. For such a long running character, Carol essentially exists in a vacuum when it comes to supporting cast and background.

Apart from Jessica, I think her longest running supporting cast member is an ill tempered space cat.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

true though I'm more concerned about her PL in MCU (punching away a Moon, wtf Feige!?)

her current comic is about the Infinity Gem that Quill has or whatever.

it could be interesting.

BANNED

Jane Thor all say, everyday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    True 'nuff.

Carol seems to be a hero to prove she is the best at it. That is the motivation Marvel keep pushing. "I can be the best ever!"

Jane is a hero because people need help.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    To be fair, Mar-Vell died over 35 years. And at least four other people used the Capt Marvel name before Carol.
    There have been a couple of Thors in that time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbledarber View Post
    Jane's book is better written. Carol has been lumped with C-list talent and Marvel wonders why her book remains a C-list book. She needs a star to help her break out.
    I don't think it's so much she's been saddled with poor talent as Marvel has just been ripping Carol in five directions before she has her feet firmly planted in the ground. Despite how long she's been around and active, it almost feels like we're still getting to know her in some ways. So when she's thrust hard into the spotlight it almost comes off as, "Wait, why is Carol in a shouting match with people she works for?"

Like I said, I am well and truly ready for Thor to have Mjolnir back. This wallowing in self pity has gone on long enough.
    The worst part about this? Thor always seems to "recover" and "rediscover" himself. And then he moves on to his next appearance and he's a self-pitiful drunk again. I think, like, three times now.

He can and is very interesting as the axe-wielding, goat flying, rage man called Odinson. But not if every arc is the, "Who am I really?" arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Carol interacting with more cosmic/space folk like the Shiar Imperial Guard would indeed be pretty cool, or involving other space/cosmic folk like Hulkling and his ties to the Skrull throne, or Karolina Dean and Majesdanian politics, or 'Bob' the Uranian from Agents of Atlas, or even Marrina and the Plodex on Earth (and elsewhere, which would probably be super-relevant, since she's hanging out with some of Marrina's old Alpha Flight teammates...).

Carol just needs better storylines, something half as glorious as what Jane is getting.
    Carol the ambassador would be a comic I would buy over and again. That was the promise of her character before CWII, with how Carol was mankind's step to the cosmos. How much more interesting would it have been if she basically took over SWORD's duty of being the real in between for Earth and Space? It would've given her a chance to really grow in the eyes of the cosmic community and have more leverage for her position as a hero and person.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Jane Thor's comic run is memorable. Most of Carol's comics are forgettable. You have to wonder why Marvel is not paying for top talent to work on their 'Wonder Woman'.
    Big part of the problem. Really, her biggest thing to remember from her comics is the kid "Bean," and that's pretty much it. It's easy to forget about the station, or anything really from her solo series, mainly because she gets overshadowed hard by her other appearances and doesn't really get to focus on herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Some people have legitimate qualms about both characters, but Jane Thor has a good story and a clear direction, and has been part of a large multi-year story arc. What about Carol? I think forgettable describes her book very well, and it's a travesty what's been done to her in trying to make her Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman. Personally, I don't think Marvel has any female character that comes close to WW, and that definitely includes Carol.
    Maybe Rogue or Storm?

But agreed that Thor seems to have a much more clear direction and personal directive, engaging in more classic superheroics with an epic overarching story where Carol seems to just get shuffled from something to another something while trying to grow her as a character, but really coming off as a contradictory tone to her other appearances while not doing much for an overall story. And it's sad, because the more vulnerable and self-affirming CM of her solo book is much more interesting than her brash, "I AM THE LAW!" that we see in some of her other appearances. Thor just gets to be Thor, while CM gets to be something lesser because Marvel won't let the author's set an individual tone for her. At least that's how I've always read her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Agreed, i think one of the most endearing traits is that Captain Marvel is shown as constantly trying to be the tough bad a$$ with a ice cold outer shell but we rarely see that heart of gold. Jane Thor has that perfect blend of bad a$$ as well the heart of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Maybe Rogue or Storm?

But agreed that Thor seems to have a much more clear direction and personal directive, engaging in more classic superheroics with an epic overarching story where Carol seems to just get shuffled from something to another something while trying to grow her as a character, but really coming off as a contradictory tone to her other appearances while not doing much for an overall story. And it's sad, because the more vulnerable and self-affirming CM of her solo book is much more interesting than her brash, "I AM THE LAW!" that we see in some of her other appearances. Thor just gets to be Thor, while CM gets to be something lesser because Marvel won't let the author's set an individual tone for her. At least that's how I've always read her.
    There's a thread that asks who Marvel's Wonder Woman is, but I maintain that Marvel doesn't have an answer to her. Storm, Rogue, Jane-Thor, and Captain Marvel are good candidates, but they come up short, plain and simple.

Marvel hasn't given me a good reason to care about Carol, and in fact I really didn't like her in CWII (although she wasn't the only character to suffer in that event); Marvel has no idea what to do with her. I think a single, consistent tone would do wonders for her.

Carol just has more personality to hold onto. Jane, unless you count her abandoning her child, is just a little too noble. and, again, Marvel doesn't have (or really need) a Wonder Woman. Carol's more like their Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Carol just has more personality to hold onto. Jane, unless you count her abandoning her child, is just a little too noble. and, again, Marvel doesn't have (or really need) a Wonder Woman. Carol's more like their Hal Jordan.
    With the way she's been handled, this seems too generous. Maybe that's just me. Don't get me wrong, Hal's book isn't doing too hot either in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Carol interacting with more cosmic/space folk like the Shiar Imperial Guard would indeed be pretty cool, or involving other space/cosmic folk like Hulkling and his ties to the Skrull throne, or Karolina Dean and Majesdanian politics, or 'Bob' the Uranian from Agents of Atlas, or even Marrina and the Plodex on Earth (and elsewhere, which would probably be super-relevant, since she's hanging out with some of Marrina's old Alpha Flight teammates...).

Carol just needs better storylines, something half as glorious as what Jane is getting.
    Definitely agree with her interacting with more space folks. Hell her movie is going to feature the Kree and Skrull empire why not do a big story arc about that (hopefully with a more impactful exciting writer). There was a prophecy in her Ms Marvel days where she was said to be the mother/queen of a whole new Kree race (might of worded wrong) regardless I'd like to see that touched up. Marvel should build her old lore and borrow from characters related to her like Mar-Vell.

Completely agree on her needing more engaging storylines. I prefer the idea of Carol over Jane. But if I got to a comic shop I'm more likely to grab a comic featuring or staring Jane then I would Carol. Cause Jane simply is being handled better with the stories she's told in. (I like the concept of Jane alot to though with all being said).

It shouldn't be that hard to get her involved with the Shi'ar given Deathbird is one of her villains, dating back to the Ms. Marvel days.
    It's funny how the fact Deathbird being apart of the Shi'ar empire is typically brought up in her appearances with Carol modern or old. Yet the empire doesn't have much of a role in her stories.