Page 115 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    My Mom once caught a cold from Nichelle Nichols. It was at a Star Trek convention in the 1970s. Nichelle was a little under the weather, but trooper that she was, she attended the convention anyway. My Mom met her and took a picture with her, but the Monday after the convention, she felt all stuffed up in her nose. She said, "I must have caught a cold from Lt. Uhura!"
    RIP Nichelle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I've been going to Comic Cons since 03. Met many awesome people.
    I'm not saying this because of recent events, but this is straight from the Heart. Nichelle was one the kindest and sweetest souls I met. First time I met her she signed my comic. Later on she attended another con. I wanted to get her something because like I said, she was just such an awesome person. I found this Uhura Handbag. When I gave it to her she asked why. I answered her, "Because you deserve it and I wanted bring you something in return for all the great memories you gave to me."
    Nichelle was so happy and wanted to get a picture. I sat next to her and gave her some space (wasn't sure what her comfort level was.) She was like "What are you doing over there? Come here!" She have me the biggest hug.
    Attachment 123521
    Attachment 123522
    Such sweet and funny stories. :')
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Guessing SNW will probably have a dedication or tribute next season, especially since Uhura is part of that show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

From Reuters, this why I relax about how it all fits.

FB_IMG_1659480241508.jpg

Rest in Peace to the ever graceful and gorgeous Nichelle Nichols. Everyone had such a crush on her.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    From Reuters, this why I relax about how it all fits.

FB_IMG_1659480241508.jpg
    For the Sheldon Coopers out there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

So it was recently revealed that Elon Musk invented the idea of the hyper-loop to stop California from building a high-speed rail system because...he doesn't like public transit. I think if there is anything that indicates the flawed mentality of the early Star Trek Discovery series, it was the 'based Elon' meme we saw Lorca spout in S1. Elon Musk's intervention to stop California rail has actively harmed the lives of million of Californians and a Star Trek show celebrated him. I know the response to this is might be that, 'Well, Lorca was a bad guy so him liking Elon was super sus!" I think Memory Alpha's 'Elon Musk' page though provides the proper context;

In 2256, Captain Gabriel Lorca tried to motivate Paul Stamets to continue his work on the spore drive by asking if Stamets wanted to be compared to Orville and Wilbur Wright, Elon Musk, and Zefram Cochrane, or if he wanted to go down in history as a failed scientist.
    In the context Elon Musk's name was used, it was intended to be positive, even though at the time this episode was written, 2017, Elon Musk's credibility was already shaky. Apparently there were people on the Discovery writing team that followed the personality cult of Musk and believed he was 'rl iron man.' Musk doesn't even invent this technology, the people he employs does so they weren't even celebrating a real scientist, but a business man. This is genuine incompetence on behalf of the Discovery team and the lowest point in the entire franchise.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-15-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Trek's had some conservative-leaning writers before I think. Manny Coto for example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Trek's had some conservative-leaning writers before I think. Manny Coto for example.
    The funny thing is that Elon Musk probably had more liberal fans than conservative ones until very recently. There is a lot of Great Man worship in Star Trek too in general, even if sometimes Star Trek does also make fun of this, like in Star Trek Insurrection the Enterprise crew venerates Cochrane despite him being a drunk who is only interested in warp technology to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The funny thing is that Elon Musk probably had more liberal fans than conservative ones until very recently. There is a lot of Great Man worship in Star Trek too in general, even if sometimes Star Trek does also make fun of this, like in Star Trek Insurrection the Enterprise crew venerates Cochrane despite him being a drunk who is only interested in warp technology to make money.
    1st that was First Contact not Insurrection.

They grew up with the myth of who the man he became and even the reality couldn't shake that belief.

It happens in the real world too, look at how Baby Boomers admire JFK and "Camelot" they think of him and Jackie as a great love story and perfect family. Even though they know Jack was a notorious skirt chaser.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It happens in the real world too, look at how Baby Boomers admire JFK and "Camelot" they think of him and Jackie as a great love story and perfect family. Even though they know Jack was a notorious skirt chaser.
    Heh, Camelot and 'great love story / perfect family' in the same sentence feels ironic, given how Arthur and Guinevere (and Lancelots) love story ended.

And, back on the topic of Star Trek stuffs, it's amusing that the closest thing to a 'reborn King' coming back after a long time thought dead (a la Arthur's prophecied return from Avalon) is Khan being defrosted...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-16-2022 at 04:01 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    ...it's amusing that the closest thing to a 'reborn King' coming back after a long time thought dead (a la Arthur's prophecied return from Avalon) is Khan being defrosted...
    That is a really interesting take that had never occurred to me. I could see Khan totally buying into that mythology about himself, all whist pretending that he's beyond such vanities and only tolerates them for their utility in dominating others.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Roddenberry himself had a number of conservative beliefs (at least by the standards of our time)

In the context Elon Musk's name was used, it was intended to be positive, even though at the time this episode was written, 2017, Elon Musk's credibility was already shaky. Apparently there were people on the Discovery writing team that followed the personality cult of Musk and believed he was 'rl iron man.' Musk doesn't even invent this technology, the people he employs does so they weren't even celebrating a real scientist, but a business man. This is genuine incompetence on behalf of the Discovery team and the lowest point in the entire franchise.
    Be nice if they had chosen to bring to attention someone other than the latest while male whiz kid. The ladies from the movie Hidden Figures, for instance.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Be nice if they had chosen to bring to attention someone other than the latest while male whiz kid. The ladies from the movie Hidden Figures, for instance.
    It's always interesting whenever Star Trek gives you a list of great people, it is almost always exclusively occupied by white men. The Elon Musk thing isn't the only shout out to a contemporary figure that Star Trek has done in the past too. There is an episode of TNG where Data is in the holoroom playing cards with the "greatest" minds of history; Newton, Einstein and, uh, Stephen Hawking. The issue is that Stephan Hawking's credentials as the greatest living scientist was intentionally accrued through media appearances like that, not because of his work.

Star Trek wants to glorify scientists all the time, but for most of history women and non-white people were actively excluded or their achievements intentionally diminished. Like I read an article a month ago about how its standard practice to name algorithms after the person who invented them, except when it comes to Chinese mathematicians who often get their work called things like 'the Chinese trick' without any recognition. So as a result, writers only know white men and so they unknowingly reinforce white supremacy.

So it was recently revealed that Elon Musk invented the idea of the hyper-loop to stop California from building a high-speed rail system because...he doesn't like public transit. I think if there is anything that indicates the flawed mentality of the early Star Trek Discovery series, it was the 'based Elon' meme we saw Lorca spout in S1. Elon Musk's intervention to stop California rail has actively harmed the lives of million of Californians and a Star Trek show celebrated him. I know the response to this is might be that, 'Well, Lorca was a bad guy so him liking Elon was super sus!" I think Memory Alpha's 'Elon Musk' page though provides the proper context;

Started watching the show on BluRay a year or so after it launched and I questioned if Musk would be really remembered as a great pioneer then, and it's that scene has only aged worse and worse the more we've learned just how unhinged he really is. Course, it wouldn't be the first time that history whitewashed someone of their sins just because they invented or tied themselves to something important (like the messy legacy of Wener von Braun, for example).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)