Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sebastian Shaw vs Doctor Doom

Movie versions of both

Not sure Electro-Doom can do anything to Shaw.

If he had the Surfer's Board, it would be another story.

Which movie version of Doom? The '05'/07 Doom or the one from the 2015 version? I feel like the Dr. Doom from the '05 & '07 films might be strong enough to snap Shaw's neck.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Which movie version of Doom? The '05'/07 Doom or the one from the 2015 version? I feel like the Dr. Doom from the '05 & '07 films might be strong enough to snap Shaw's neck.
    I mean, First Class Shaw literally walked through a bloodlusted Magneto's attempts to him him with metal girders on a day where the latter was levitating a nuclear submarine and catching an artillery bombardment from an assortment of both US and Soviet battleships.

Is this Shaw at the end of the movie after the power up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I mean, First Class Shaw literally walked through a bloodlusted Magneto's attempts to him him with metal girders on a day where the latter was levitating a nuclear submarine and catching an artillery bombardment from an assortment of both US and Soviet battleships.
    That was post "I'm chargin' my nuclear laser".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I don't think that there's any indication that absorbing power makes Shaw any better at absorbing power, which is the relevant part of that feat since he didn't really use his power offensively beyond casually bending the girders after no-selling the strikes, which is pretty low level for the kind of firepower he was throwing out.

I don't think that there's any indication that absorbing power makes Shaw any better at absorbing power, which is the relevant part of that feat since he didn't really use his power offensively beyond casually bending the girders after no-selling the strikes, which is pretty low level for the kind of firepower he was throwing out.
    It ups his baseline though.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It ups his baseline though.
    Yeah, he almost certainly won't be able to overpower Doom's super strength until after he's absorbed some kinetic energy first (assuming that he starts from zero and doesn't always walk around with some degree of charge built up since I don't know that we ever saw him without some charge in the entire movie), but he should be able to easily absorb any force that Doom uses against him until he can hold his own against or even flat out overpower him in a straight fight.

That said, if Doom is massively stronger than Shaw starts at in this fight, he could theoretically gently restrain him and smother him by using enough strength that Shaw can't immediately break free, but not enough that Shaw can get a major charge out of it.

That said, if Doom is massively stronger than Shaw starts at in this fight, he could theoretically gently restrain him and smother him by using enough strength that Shaw can't immediately break free, but not enough that Shaw can get a major charge out of it.

This is kinda what I was getting at with my post. If Shaw starts with no charge, and assuming this is Doom from the 05/07 films, couldn't Doom just walk up and snap Shaw's neck?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

It feels like the attempt to do so though should already start giving him a charge, is basically the issue at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    This is kinda what I was getting at with my post. If Shaw starts with no charge, and assuming this is Doom from the 05/07 films, couldn't Doom just walk up and snap Shaw's neck?
    No, because there's no indication that Shaw's absorption speed is increased by his charge level, so any force used to try and snap his neck would result in Shaw remaining completely unmoved and being stronger by exactly the amount of force that was used in an attempt to snap his neck. Gently smothering him by blocking his nose and mouth is a way to use a tiny fraction of one's strength (to prevent Shaw from absorbing enough to be able to break free) to keep him from getting oxygen rather than trying to directly overwhelm his absorption rate.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

No, because there's no indication that Shaw's absorption speed is increased by his charge level, so any force used to try and snap his neck would result in Shaw remaining completely unmoved and being stronger by exactly the amount of force that was used in an attempt to snap his neck. Gently smothering him by blocking his nose and mouth is a way to use a tiny fraction of one's strength (to prevent Shaw from absorbing enough to be able to break free) to keep him from getting oxygen rather than trying to directly overwhelm his absorption rate.
    Well, not really: if you try to hold me, I'm going to try to escape. If you attempt to hold me from that, you are applying at least as much force to me as I'm spending trying to escape, which should, pseudo-physics-wise, be something Shaw can absorb.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Well, not really: if you try to hold me, I'm going to try to escape. If you attempt to hold me from that, you are applying at least as much force to me as I'm spending trying to escape, which should, pseudo-physics-wise, be something Shaw can absorb.
    Not necessarily. If you push on a wall, the wall only exerts as much force on you as you exerted on that wall. Similarly, if Shaw starts off at a low enough strength level, and attempts to push against a much stronger force, he would only be absorbing the force similar to what he exerted - which if he started off low enough would not be much at all. Its not like if Superman attempts to hold Shaw and Shaw fights back, he somehow absorbs Class 100 force.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Not necessarily. If you push on a wall, the wall only exerts as much force on you as you exerted on that wall. Similarly, if Shaw starts off at a low enough strength level, and attempts to push against a much stronger force, he would only be absorbing the force similar to what he exerted - which if he started off low enough would not be much at all. Its not like if Superman attempts to hold Shaw and Shaw fights back, he somehow absorbs Class 100 force.
    Not at all what I claimed, but he WOULD ignore a couple of hundred pounds of force - at least as much as HE can exert against the thing restraining him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan