Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is the reason many people don't like Duke Thomas

I guess the signal isn't really a popular character among fans, what are the main reasons?

This thread should have you covered:

http://community.comicbookresources....ut-Duke-Thomas
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh dear lord a 2nd non-appreciation Duke thread.

Bottoms up, this might be fun!

BANNED

From what i gathered, it seems like the main reason is that many people don't like the fact that Duke is a superior fighter to all the other robins, naturally without going through all the rigorous training

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    From what i gathered, it seems like the main reason is that many people don't like the fact that Duke is a superior fighter to all the other robins, naturally without going through all the rigorous training
    Not in the slightest. At worst, that's a gripe. The main reasons people hate (Or in my case, dislike) Duke, is threefold:

1. He's boring, not unique in the slightest, and generally uninteresting.
    2. Nothing about the character is consistent.
    3. Synder has done everything in his power to alienate him from fans of the other BatFamily members, both as a group and on an individual level. Examples of this are the "Better than Robin" idea, being as Bruce's side instead of Damian (emphasized by the upcoming Batman and the Signal ) and his being pushed so heavily over the other, far more popular and beloved teens of the BatFam, Cass, Steph and Tim.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Not in the slightest. At worst, that's a gripe. The main reasons people hate (Or in my case, dislike) Duke, is threefold:

1. He's boring, not unique in the slightest, and generally uninteresting.
    2. Nothing about the character is consistent.
    3. Synder has done everything in his power to alienate him from fans of the other BatFamily members, both as a group and on an individual level. Examples of this are the "Better than Robin" idea, being as Bruce's side instead of Damian (emphasized by the upcoming Batman and the Signal ) and his being pushed so heavily over the other, far more popular and beloved teens of the BatFam, Cass, Steph and Tim.

oh thats possible as well,im just saying many people don't like the idea that he is already better than all the robins at fighting

I mean is he seen as a better fighter than Bruce?

oh thats possible as well,im just saying many people don't like the idea that he is already better than all the robins at fighting

Duke isn't a better fighter than any of the other robins not sure where you are getting that from. The only batfamily member duke has ever fought is a 10 year old Damian and Duke was beaten to a pulp.

He's not anywhere close to Bruce. I don't know where you're getting the first idea from, either.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I dont really have a problem with him but I think Snyder/DC has done a terrible job of generating interest in the character. Not much personality and one of the worst costumes in comics. His new name "The Signal" won't help. Seriously, the Signal, that's what they came up with?!!

BANNED

Boring
    Wastes resources aka pages and story
    Has been given too many chances

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Boring
    Wastes resources aka pages and story
    Has been given too many chances
    Truth.

I am not much of a Bat-Fan, but he took a spot from better characters like Tim Drake. I wish Tim got his old Red Robin costume back. I mean, Duke Thomas is a waste of space and should have not been introduce because Batman characters need and affirmative action character. I knew one day someone was going to crack about the Batman cast all being White. Oh man, this is why I do not like when people interfere with stories that is done right.

We really didn't need Duke Thomas to diversify the cast. Batman already has Black Lightning on the fucking Outsiders team he has. Geez!

I honestly don't know much about Duke. Most of the negative comments I see about him say that he's boring and he's being shoved down people's throats over characters that "deserve" it more. I don't really have an opinion on him, is it worth to familiarize myself with the character?

Duke's a boring, uninteresting character that brings nothing to the table. That, and the fact he's being pushed in favor and at the expense of other popular, fan-favourite characters just because he's Scott Snyder's pet is what makes me actively dislike him.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

BANNED

I'm just gonna parrot what everyone else is saying he's boring and is simply taking up page space that could be going to Batman's actual sidekick.
    Also "Robin doesn't need Batman" until he said that I was simply indifferent towards him, that one line made me hate him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by portland_breakers101 View Post
    Truth.

I am not much of a Bat-Fan, but he took a spot from better characters like Tim Drake. I wish Tim got his old Red Robin costume back. I mean, Duke Thomas is a waste of space and should have not been introduce because Batman characters need and affirmative action character. I knew one day someone was going to crack about the Batman cast all being White. Oh man, this is why I do not like when people interfere with stories that is done right.

We really didn't need Duke Thomas to diversify the cast. Batman already has Black Lightning on the fucking Outsiders team he has. Geez!
    More diversity is never a bad thing and calling any character an affirmative action character is insulting. Is Duke an uninteresting creator's pet? Yes, but his race has nothing to do with it. I'd love for their to be more racial diversity in the Batfam.

Also, Black Lightning? Seriously? A character only tangentially connected to Batman at this point? If you wanted to bring up minorities already in the BatFam, try Cass, Luke, and despite how he' colored sometimes, Damian. Or even great characters who were tossed aside like David, Onyx and Orpheus.