I didn't realize but someone turned the meme Wolverine into an actual (variant) comic book cover lol

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Oooh... that's an aesthetic I can get behind.

Reading the first chapter it reminds a little of Zombie Powder from back in the day. I guess I gotta read it now.
    Oh I bet it is.

...real talk though I only got a few episodes in, might be due for a rewatch. Thought it was kinda funny Worick sorta looks like the vintage Pirate God.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Freaking Kaiba, man.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Freaking Kaiba, man.
    First Kaibaman, and now this. Goddamn, egomaniacal dragon fetishist.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Oh I bet it is.

...real talk though I only got a few episodes in, might be due for a rewatch. Thought it was kinda funny Worick sorta looks like the vintage Pirate God.
    In the manga it's not clear that he's blonde but I definitely see it now haha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    First Kaibaman, and now this. Goddamn, egomaniacal dragon fetishist.
    Dude just has a kink for dragons, and playing card games with Yugi. Don't shame him for it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    When has Shigaraki not had advantages over Deku?

Deku never got a win on him to really justify the dynamic of Shigaraki needing to power up per say. Again, don't get me wrong, the series pivoting to villains-as-protagonists for a bit was a lot of fun and one of the best periods of the series but... eh, I just don't feel invested in the battle between them? Even with him getting a bunch of new powers, I don't really feel like the supposed rivalry between the two is that interesting because it's kinda lopsided but they both have just been receiving buffs.
    Being honest, any rivalry between Deku and Shigaraki is largely circumstancial due to their roles in the story and their society.

They're a hero and villain with great aspirations so of course they're going to clash.

They're also heirs in the ongoing conflict between All For One and One For All, but that's only really been made apparent to the two of them rather recently and after that revelation AFO started puppeteering Shigaraki's body and Deku has conflicting thoughts and feelings about how he should deal with Shigaraki. Hell, All Might has always hyped up AFO as the great adversary that needs to be defeated for Deku while mostly treating Shigaraki as a dangerous super villain in his own right but not the next big bad.

As for the possible escalation to Shigaraki's power set (haven't read the chapter since the offical one isn't out yet), but that's all part of All For One's plan and he's pretty explicit about gearing up for something really big, and Shigaraki is his pawn for that. He doesn't give a **** about power scaling and balance. He has a way of taking out big threats and powering up his "heir" all in one go and he's absolutely going to use it.

Does this undermine Shigaraki's ascent as a villain within the series? Yes. Yes it does. But All For One doesn't see it like that. He's just helping Shigaraki be the best that he can be. Though I do suspect that Shigaraki will break free and become the series proper final villain down the road.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Being honest, any rivalry between Deku and Shigaraki is largely circumstancial due to their roles in the story and their society.

They're a hero and villain with great aspirations so of course they're going to clash.

They're also heirs in the ongoing conflict between All For One and One For All, but that's only really been made apparent to the two of them rather recently and after that revelation AFO started puppeteering Shigaraki's body and Deku has conflicting thoughts and feelings about how he should deal with Shigaraki. Hell, All Might has always hyped up AFO as the great adversary that needs to be defeated for Deku while mostly treating Shigaraki as a dangerous super villain in his own right but not the next big bad.

As for the possible escalation to Shigaraki's power set (haven't read the chapter since the offical one isn't out yet), but that's all part of All For One's plan and he's pretty explicit about gearing up for something really big, and Shigaraki is his pawn for that. He doesn't give a **** about power scaling and balance. He has a way of taking out big threats and powering up his "heir" all in one go and he's absolutely going to use it.

Does this undermine Shigaraki's ascent as a villain within the series? Yes. Yes it does. But All For One doesn't see it like that. He's just helping Shigaraki be the best that he can be. Though I do suspect that Shigaraki will break free and become the series proper final villain down the road.
    This is a very in-universe response to my point which is more about the narrative.

You can say that AFO doesn't "care" about undermining Shigaraki as a villain but my point is that I don't really feel like the current plot point matters to me as a reader. I know AFO/Shiga is powerful, Shiga was wiping entire cities off the map by himself multiple powerups ago. If there doesn't seem to be a good reason (narratively rather than in-universe) for a villain getting buffs then it takes me out of the story because I am made to think; "why are we doing this?"

Like, on paper, currently Shigaraki would likely utterly steamroll Deku in a confrontation. Him getting new powers on top of that doesn't change that at all so I'm like; "Okay, explain to me why I should care about this?"

Stakes matter, and arbitrarily raising the stakes doesn't actually increase tension or renew engagement for me. Granted, I'm mostly reading MHA out of habit and to remain somewhat up to date with general manga culture rather than a really strong attachment to the series (it's always been a solid 6/10 story with 8/10 artwork kind of affair for me) so maybe I'm not the person it's trying to appeal to but... I don't know, I am just a bit lost as to what we're doing here or how the series wants me to feel.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-16-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    More Evil Jobberman.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    More Evil Jobberman.
    It's better than Injustice, at least.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie