Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty wild Blackbeard theory in this

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    This is a very in-universe response to my point which is more about the narrative.

You can say that AFO doesn't "care" about undermining Shigaraki as a villain but my point is that I don't really feel like the current plot point matters to me as a reader. I know AFO/Shiga is powerful, Shiga was wiping entire cities off the map by himself multiple powerups ago. If there doesn't seem to be a good reason (narratively rather than in-universe) for a villain getting buffs then it takes me out of the story because I am made to think; "why are we doing this?"

Like, on paper, currently Shigaraki would likely utterly steamroll Deku in a confrontation. Him getting new powers on top of that doesn't change that at all so I'm like; "Okay, explain to me why I should care about this?"

Stakes matter, and arbitrarily raising the stakes doesn't actually increase tension or renew engagement for me. Granted, I'm mostly reading MHA out of habit and to remain somewhat up to date with general manga culture rather than a really strong attachment to the series (it's always been a solid 6/10 story with 8/10 artwork kind of affair for me) so maybe I'm not the person it's trying to appeal to but... I don't know, I am just a bit lost as to what we're doing here or how the series wants me to feel.
    Fair enough. I misunderstood.

As for getting you to care as a reader... I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. If you're not invested you're just not invested.

For this specific situation I do get what you're feeling as I felt pretty much the same when Madara became the ten-tailed jinchuuriki on top of already being so powerful that you could count the number of people that could realistically fight him on one hand AND having the Gedo Mazo statue at his disposal, and it basically being a repeat of what Obito had just done but less interesting. It just seemed unecessary. But there are people who are genuinely excited and interested in these kinds of rapid power escalations and love seeing just how crazy OP the bad guy gets regardless of how implausible it makes any victory for the good guys.

For me I'm excited about the progression of AFO's plans since he's stated that they're basically at the midpoint of it all, and going forward seems to involve more of the MHA world at large which I've wanted to see for a while now. And I'm also excited to see the development in AFO's relationship with Shigaraki and finding out just how twisted it really is. The All For Shigaraki fusion possibly getting a new busted quirk to his repetoire is something I'm honestly pretty neutral about. It's a natural move to make with such a strong heroine rushing in like this and I think that Horikoshi has handled Shigaraki's power creep really well. It took a ton of heroes, with Deku taking center stage for most of it, to fight him in the raid arc but every bit of that fight ha me excited and while it was an uphill battle it never became a one-sided curbstomp. So I trust Horikoshi to handle this potential new upgrade just as well.

But then again, I'm invested in the story. You're not and haven't been for quite some time based on previous comments, so I don't really know which plot developments would get you noticeably interested again.

Although, it was pointed out in the MHA-discussion thread that All For Shigaraki could possibly use Star's quirk to bypass One For All's resistance to the All For One quirk.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    But then again, I'm invested in the story. You're not and haven't been for quite some time based on previous comments, so I don't really know which plot developments would get you noticeably interested again.
    That's a very fair point, I am definitely not the target audience and I'm glad that there are a great many people out there who really enjoy it. I want to stress again, with a couple of exceptions (Mineta conceptually, some parts of the handling of Bakugou and the incredibly saccharine school festival arc which was a bit much for me) I've never thought MHA is a bad series and I definitely don't want to come across as ragging on it for the sake of it.

I think my problem is that I just don't really have a solid point of connection with it because none of the character particularly speak to me and so the story itself has never fully gotten a hook into me. When MHA is good, it's really good. It has those sudden moments of being incredibly radical - United States of Smash, Deku vs Muscular (the first time), Lemillion taking on Overhaul after losing his powers, the whole "villains as protagonists" arc, the first Plus Ultra against Nomu (though the anime really sold that more than the manga), Hawks vs Twice - which is probably why I've stuck with it so far. But, those specific moments are generally just that - moments. They dramatically stand out against my broader apathy to the larger story and the rest of the text just leaves me a bit neutral.

I think if I had to put a name to it, I think it's that MHA has never surprised me. It is a shonen's shonen and it plays to the conventions of that genre quite hard. There's nothing wrong with that but, thinking about it, I don't think there's been a moment for a character that has genuinely surprised me or done something to suggest that they are anything other than what they initially appear to be. It's perhaps a bit too binary in its morality?

I think that's why I liked Hawks a lot when he was introduced because he felt like a character who had a more complex sense of morality than the rest of the cast.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly here. This might seem a bit reductive and, again, I don't want to be the "wa-wa-I-don't-like-the-thing," guy.

Hmm... almost feels like there's script for a video essay that I could write and never make in this.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    That's a Gangstar.

Unfortunately, he might not fit in so well in the world of Gangsta

O_o

Okay, there's some stuff in the manga where I am so far, but the anime opening (didn't know they had an anime) takes the sex stuff to another level.

But otherwise I like the animation style, catches the manga pretty well.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly here. This might seem a bit reductive and, again, I don't want to be the "wa-wa-I-don't-like-the-thing," guy.
    That's me. Stop stealing my groove.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    That's me. Stop stealing my groove.
    I mean, you're welcome to it.

I do, as a rule, try not to have too many purely negative opinions about things publicly. I try to mostly talk about stuff I do like rather than harp on things and, when I do talk about stuff I don't get on with, I want to try and express that in a constructive and nuanced way rather than being "YO THIS SUCKS,"

don't know if I always manage it but I try.

don't know if I always manage it but I try.
    You do. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I have a tendency to crab. Which has made me more and more negative about things over the years. I'm trying to change that, thanks in part to some of your comments, so hopefully it won't be so much MY groove, either. Current levels of stress are making that a tad difficult, but I'm (hopefully) still improving my perspective.

There's enough negativity in the world already (I think we crossed that threshold a looooong time ago), and me dumping on stuff that isn't my style but might be enjoyed by someone else isn't helping. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

You do. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I have a tendency to crab. Which has made me more and more negative about things over the years. I'm trying to change that, thanks in part to some of your comments, so hopefully it won't be so much MY groove, either. Current levels of stress are making that a tad difficult, but I'm (hopefully) still improving my perspective.
    Oh is that a problem? Well then I have the Cure, RIGHT HERE!

The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh is that a problem? Well then I have the Cure, RIGHT HERE!

...okay, that IS awesome. ^_^ Old school lego animation...
    Why are we here?

...okay, that IS awesome. ^_^ Old school lego animation...
    It's actually not stop motion funnily enough.

For this film, Animal Logic worked really hard to make the animation mimic stop-motion and also rigged the program that generated bricks to have a massive range of different imperfections and permutations of microtextures and the like to make them seem like real world bricks.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

I admit, last week of work nearly drove me up the wall feeling massively bummed at how bad the short staff situation was at the workplace, mostly because some people usually around the weekdays were suddenly not working those days.

...Then I saw the $700+ weekly paycheck on my bank statements and I'm going "okay, that was miserable but moolah is moolah."

It's actually not stop motion funnily enough.

For this film, Animal Logic worked really hard to make the animation mimic stop-motion and also rigged the program that generated bricks to have a massive range of different imperfections and permutations of microtextures and the like to make them seem like real world bricks.
    ...that's almost better. ^_^

Good info, thanks.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    I admit, last week of work nearly drove me up the wall feeling massively bummed at how bad the short staff situation was at the workplace, mostly because some people usually around the weekdays were suddenly not working those days.

...Then I saw the $700+ weekly paycheck on my bank statements and I'm going "okay, that was miserable but moolah is moolah."
    Yeah, living for your work is something that we've been sold. More like 'work so you can live'. Sadly, it sounds like you're being overworked.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Yeah, living for your work is something that we've been sold. More like 'work so you can live'. Sadly, it sounds like you're being overworked.
    No joke, we almost had a hire but during the interview...He gave up. Said he doesn't plan on walking around the store especially when it's huge.

My managers and I are pretty much going "...What?" When he left.

Last year was promising with a bunch of hires...Then they all left due to various reasons....I miss a full crew...