Page 54 of 176 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

They should have let Aunt May go be with Ben in heaven and not have her at the cost of the marriege and coming Baby.

I don't blame JMS for OMD.

I thought the Totem aspect was a nice change of pace.

There are only two women i believe should ever be counted as the major loves of Peter, MJ and Felicia.

I don't see Spider-Gwen as a that big of a deal.

Bendis should not have brought back Ult. Peter back from the dead, he got a heroic send off and a mediocre return.

Slott run started out find and ended in a train wreck for letting SSM run for so long and later not handling Peter Parker right.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Mary Jane won the Alley Fan Awards for Best Supporting Character in 1967 and was already popular enough to make brief cameos in other titles at the time (which Gwen never got to do) and had appeared in the 1967 cartoon series (when Gwen never did).
    And she was George's niece there, which really shows how easily MJ outclassed Gwen in popularity, even before Gwen's death lol.

That's true enough. Gwen isn't all that different from Karen Page, Daredevil's love interest in the Silver Age, or Susan Storm. The best female character that Stan ever created and wrote was Mary Jane Watson and that was by accident rather than design.
    Going by how annoyed Peter tends to get at MJ not really caring about his change of plans when Stan Lee was still writing, MJ wasn't even supposed to be likable, to be seen as some irresponsible chick not worth pinning for, so yeah.

It's honestly beautiful man, MJ became such a surprisingly deep and fun character and love interest by accident. Accident after accident. She's the biggest happy little accident in Spider-Man lol.

Anyway, that's an example of what could have happened with Gwen had she not been killed off back then.
    Or just be paired off with someone and come back later, who knows? Maybe she could end up with Harry, maybe she could even be the one who's in charge of Alchemax like Liz is right now, or be forgotten and never return lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Bendis should not have brought back Ult. Peter back from the dead, he got a heroic send off and a mediocre return.
    That's controversial? 'Cause everytime I tell someone who wasn't aware Ultimate Peter was resurrected during Miles' run in Ultimate, the reaction so far was only "What the ****" before I even tell them how he just decided to leave in a very out of character way lol.

Granted, it was like 2 or 3 people who I told and they weren't aware, but it gives the impression that resurrecting him at all was a bad idea lol.

I'm pretty sure that i say this before, but i wherever i'm still doing it:

-Spectacular Spider-Man did everything that Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man was supposed to do and like ten times better.

-Venom original concept as a stalker and sort of a bully with a warped sense of morality was fine, he doesn't need to have a deep connection with Peter in order to work as a characther.

-Thougth i understand why people like Superior Spider-Ma, i sometimes had to wonder if people remembered how Doc Ock is really like or actually cared about him before that, because Slott version is really weird in many levels.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I love how people blame Aunt May for Peter's marriage failing.

/s

I shouldn't even need to say it once, yet here I am repeating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And she was George's niece there, which really shows how easily MJ outclassed Gwen in popularity, even before Gwen's death lol.

Going by how annoyed Peter tends to get at MJ not really caring about his change of plans when Stan Lee was still writing, MJ wasn't even supposed to be likable, to be seen as some irresponsible chick not worth pinning for, so yeah.

It's honestly beautiful man, MJ became such a surprisingly deep and fun character and love interest by accident. Accident after accident. She's the biggest happy little accident in Spider-Man lol.

Or just be paired off with someone and come back later, who knows? Maybe she could end up with Harry, maybe she could even be the one who's in charge of Alchemax like Liz is right now, or be forgotten and never return lol.

That's controversial? 'Cause everytime I tell someone who wasn't aware Ultimate Peter was resurrected during Miles' run in Ultimate, the reaction so far was only "What the ****" before I even tell them how he just decided to leave in a very out of character way lol.

Granted, it was like 2 or 3 people who I told and they weren't aware, but it gives the impression that resurrecting him at all was a bad idea lol.
    Peter's resurrection feel like a gimmick to me or that at least Bendis was running out of ideas fast lol.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

-Spectacular Spider-Man did everything that Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man was supposed to do and like ten times better.
    Agreed vehemently. Spec's villain updates were also much better and more memorable in my opinion.
    -Venom original concept as a stalker and sort of a bully with a warped sense of morality was fine, he doesn't need to have a deep connection with Peter in order to work as a characther.
    I do like the adaptions, like the 90's cartoon or Spec, that build up to the enmity between Peter and Brock to where there's some bit of catharsis in seeing him finally become Venom so he can have his revenge on Peter.
    -Thougth i understand why people like Superior Spider-Ma, i sometimes had to wonder if people remembered how Doc Ock is really like or actually cared about him before that, because Slott version is really weird in many levels.
    I feel like it's a weird mix of whether Otto should be held accountable for all the bad stuff he did pre and post-Superior (he was still kind of a bad guy) or just continue on as an anti-hero and let people, including Peter, just give him a pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I love how people blame Aunt May for Peter's marriage failing.

/s

I shouldn't even need to say it once, yet here I am repeating it.
    Yeah, May would never have wanted Peter to do what he did just to save her.
    Peter's resurrection feel like a gimmick to me or that at least Bendis was running out of ideas fast lol.
    I honestly don't think Bendis was able to help himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I pretty much don't like any of the Spider-Man films. First two Raimi films were average at best, third was actively bad. Maguire was too serious for the role and Dunst was really bad Mary-Jane. Webb films, I don't remember much of them really, I think first one was okay, I liked Emma Stone as Gwen. And Garfield was better Spidey than Maguire. MCU version I really don't even consider a Spider-Man at all. Peter Parker being a flunkey to Tony Stark of all people, dependent from toys made by Stark, it's not Spider-Man. I hate it. Which is a shame because I think Holland does good job with the character otherwise.
    What about the Spider-Verse? Bad, too, or exception to the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Well, sir, these aren't controversial: they're facts!!
    (Sarcasm, but yeah, I agree with all of these!)
    Okay, then.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I disagree slightly with the first one. I love ultimate spider-man, but it’s decompressed story telling really stops it from being great. Stan/ditko got so much more done in 41 issues than bendis did in 100 issues, and asm 10-33 in my opinion is one of the best runs in any comic.
    Actually, the decompression is something I think works in USM's favor; it allowed for more character work and the stories to breathe. The origin story is a key example. It's a very good superhero origin story, but the original eleven-page take felt like reading the outline with illustrations while Bendis's five-issue retelling felt like a complete story. I mean, Ben Parker was just a plot device in the original, but gets characterization in USM. While I think that, in practice, the needs of the story should dictate whether compression or decompression is used instead of one being inherently better then the other, I think when used well, decompression allows for richer writing and USM is my go-to example of why that's the case.

I do like the old-school ASM; the original Vulture story is a textbook example of a well-paced compressed issue and a well-written story in general. The petrified tablet, Living Brain, and Spider Slayer issues are high on my favorites list. However, Lee's dialogue is very grating to read (esp. when he tries to make the characters sound hip and cool) and while a lot happens, it's sometimes hard to remember everything (it kinda blends). Also, the supporting cast are really thin (like you noted, the female characters are not always that well written) and flat. USM did a better job at making them more rounded characters (compare the different takes on Aunt May, for example). It may not be totally fair to compare them (Lee and company were writing at a different time and where inventing something out of whole cloth instead of polishing something that already existed and having the benefit knowing what worked and what didn't the first time around), but I think Bendis came up with the better Spidey and had a better grasp on the writing, the characters, and the overall story arcs.

Hell yeah on the rain I films, I feel like there’s a better cut of spider-man 3 out there as I firmly believe it’s a great movie with a poor movie attached to it.
    See the "Editor's Cut" of SM3?

I’ve not read enough of Miles or seen Into the Spider-verse to formulate a decent opinion.
    Fair enough.

Yeah, Gwen is very one note, but that’s because I feel Stan was very poor at writing Women.
    I'd generally agree. I mean, Mary Jane and Aunt May became extremely rounded characters over time, but they were pretty flat in the beginning (MJ had the saving grace of being entertaining back then). However, even so, I don't think Gwen and Peter's relationship was ever very interesting or had much effort put into it, even beyond Gwen's flatness.

Well, I'm glad they did, so I guess I'm the odd one out there.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Glover's reaction was part of it. But the other big thing was Obama's election. Marvel felt that if America could accept a black President, then it was time for a black Spider-Man, and felt that would get them first on the ground floor (which it did) to put out the first major Affirmative Action Legacy and there's nothing quite like "Spider-Man is Black" to grab headlines and news (which it got). It got them over DC in a big way (especially since DC under Geoff Johns was shooting itself in the shoot by throwing away the amazing buildup Green Lantern John Stewart got from the cartoons).

It's not true that Ultimate Peter's death didn't have any lead-up. It was a 7 issue Story Arc. The Death of Spider-Man arc also overlapped with some stuff that happened in the New Ultimates comics. So it was a co-ordinated event with a lot of planning and consideration, planned more than a year in advance. Bendis said he came up with Miles Morales first and then decided to kill off Ultimate Peter. He said that he realized that if you had to think of a working class New York teenagesuperhero in the 21st Century, then it's quite likely that character would be black. So Miles Morales wasn't last minute. Bendis came up with Miles and then decided to start wrapping up a series of subplots in Ultimate Spider-Man. The stuff about Ultimate Peter becoming the big hero, Jonah offering to sponsor Peter, Ultimate Peter and Ultimate MJ getting back after he broke off with Ultimate Gwen...all that was done to set up a tragedy, to give Peter a series of wins so that when he dies it feels that much more painful because both readers and cast get a sense of what was lost. Is that manipulative? Yes. Did it work? It did.

The death of Ultimate Peter bothered me and affected me at the time...I had quit reading ASM after OMD, but I still read USM. I felt bad about it, but I accepted it later and I liked Miles right away.

Looking back, the thing about Ultimate Peter is that he was a version of Peter who was never intended to grow up. he was never going to actually graduate high school and become the fully mature version of Spider-Man from the comics. That was editorially mandated. By the time Bendis was writing him, Post-Ultimatum, there really wasn't too many places you could take that version of Peter and his cast. I've read every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, both Peter and Miles, Pre-SW'2015, so I know where I speak. Killing Peter and making him the equivalent of the teenage rock god who died too young wasn't too bad. (And anyway, Bendis brought him back later aged up and gave him a happy ending). Ultimate Peter was a great version of the character, and what made him work (and I am not sure Bendis intended this) was that he came off as more mature and saner than the many "adults" like Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Tony and others. That was more because of how Millar concieved his characters than anything.
    Obviously Miles was conceived prior to Peter's death. The first is what directly informed the second.

Has Bendis actually said that Ultimate Peter was never meant to leave high school? The first time I heard someone mention this was only after he died. If this is true, it contradicts previous things that Bendis said back in the 2000's. He has said in interviews that every 100 issues were 1 year of Peter's life, meaning Peter was 16 after issue 100 and would've been 17 after 200 and so on (going by that math, Ultimate Peter would now be 18-19). That doesn't mean he was never intended to grow up, just that he aged a lot slower than 616. This isn't at all unusual for an alternate universe. Alternate universes typically age their characters slower because of hindsight and less pressure to conform to real time. Greg Weisman's Peter for example was always intended to grow up but he would have still been in high school longer (going by real time) than Stan Lee's Peter was (in real time). Other AU versions that start at the origin do this too, that's why for example AU versions of the Fantastic Four take longer to get to Franklin. Assuming this editorial mandate was even confirmed to be in place, it sounds like something that could have only came in place post-OMD when Marvel cracked down on adult Spider-Man. Doesn't sound at all like that was always "the plan".
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-21-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Probably not all that controversial, but I think the Amazing Spider-man films squandered The Night Gwen Stacy Died. I'd love to see someone else (either in an animated film or television series) adapt that storyline, but I doubt we'll see any Gwen Stacys that aren't Spider-Gwen in any adaptations moving forward.

Agreed, the way Spectacular handled the cast and villains was more interesting.

Reminds me of one problem I have with Spectacular, how nobody points out how much of a colossal hypocrite Gwen is, she says she doesn't want to be Peter's second choice, then she starts to date Harry, her second choice, yeah...

Honestly kinda miss the old Venom, he uses the same idea as Green Goblin knowing Spidey's identity, but in a more interesting way.

Of course, just like Norman, this would get old after a while, even if better, so I can understand why they changed him.

Worth pointing out that stuff that comes later have the privilege of knowing what works, so Spectacular being better than Ultimate, or Venom being more interesting than Norman before he was resurrected (For me at least), they can pick what was popular from the original, and just keep the more interesting stuff.

Spider-Ma sounds funny

Either way, Otto under Slott is weird yeah, in one story he's eviller than ever, Ends of the Earth, what he planned was even bigger than that time he wanted to nuke New York because of a pissing context with Owl, trying to make him sympathetic after that? Come on... While Slott has the decency to kinda keep him as a villain (Kinda?), other characters sound too forgiving of him, specially Peter (ASM#1 vol 3 has Peter sounding thankful of Otto for the company and for making aunt May not limp anymore, even though the bad outweights the good... The ****?).

It felt like a forced way to show that Miles is worthy as a successor, his Venom Blast just fucks over Norman that easily, to show how powerful he is, and Peter says he's good to continue the fight, and then Peter just leaves? This is bad fanfiction level of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, I'm glad they did, so I guess I'm the odd one out there.
    Not exactly, you already knew, and like I said, I told people about it that he came back and the reaction was that surprise and somewhat annoyance, and I specified that because the initial reaction being that kinda shows they thought it was questionable at least, so yeah, not sure if disliking his resurrection is controversial.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-21-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Is this even an opinion? I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man is a great book, but it's technically a terrible "modern realistic retelling" of the classic Spider-Man comics. How exactly is Demon Goblin more realistic than regular Goblin? How is a 15-year old getting an office job in Manhattan more "realistic" than a 15-year old getting a freelance job as photographer? Why were so many characters changed from their 616 counterparts for no reason?

Regardless of whether it was better or not, The Spectacular Spider-Man was more of an actual modern/realistic retelling of the Lee/Ditko/Romita comics, which is what Ultimate was supposed to be.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-21-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Agreed, the way Spectacular handled the cast and villains was more interesting.

Reminds me of one problem I have with Spectacular, how nobody points out how much of a colossal hypocrite Gwen is, she says she doesn't want to be Peter's second choice, then she starts to date Harry, her second choice, yeah...

Honestly kinda miss the old Venom, he uses the same idea as Green Goblin knowing Spidey's identity, but in a more interesting way.

Of course, just like Norman, this would get old after a while, even if better, so I can understand why they changed him.

Worth pointing out that stuff that comes later have the privilege of knowing what works, so Spectacular being better than Ultimate, or Venom being more interesting than Norman before he was resurrected (For me at least), they can pick what was popular from the original, and just keep the more interesting stuff.

Spider-Ma sounds funny

Either way, Otto under Slott is weird yeah, in one story he's eviller than ever, Ends of the Earth, what he planned was even bigger than that time he wanted to nuke New York because of a pissing context with Owl, trying to make him sympathetic after that? Come on... While Slott has the decency to kinda keep him as a villain (Kinda?), other characters sound too forgiving of him, specially Peter (ASM#1 vol 3 has Peter sounding thankful of Otto for the company and for making aunt May not limp anymore, even though the bad outweights the good... The ****?).

It felt like a forced way to show that Miles is worthy as a successor, his Venom Blast just fucks over Norman that easily, to show how powerful he is, and Peter says he's good to continue the fight, and then Peter just leaves? This is bad fanfiction level of writing.

Not exactly, you already knew, and like I said, I told people about it that he came back and the reaction was that surprise and somewhat annoyance, and I specified that because the initial reaction being that kinda shows they thought it was questionable at least, so yeah, not sure if disliking his resurrection is controversial.
    Considering that MJ was gonna be the love interest eventually and Weisman wasn't planning on killing Gwen, i imagine that we were supposed to see her characther flaws more in the next season and that would lead to both of then breaking up at some point (assuming that they would get pass all Harry's emotional manipulation).

We haven't seen old school Venom since like some parts of the Mackie/Byrne reboot, he strangely has been more of an anti-hero longer than he has been a villain. And after the movie and Cates retcons, i don't think that we will see that version again for a long time, even his creator (Michelinie) commented something about that after seeing the movie . Also, to clarify i don't mind the changes that Ultimate or Spec did to his background to make him closer to Peter, is just that IMO his original concept wasn't a bad one.

Lol, my mistake there (thougth maybe Otto deserve that silly name).

But overall yeah, i really don't like Slott Octopus, so much of him not only contradicts previous charactherization but he come across as such an ******* that i don't even find him likable even when the plot is telling me that i should and Peter's treatment and reaction during that whole period is just bad..At least Slott has the decency to press the reset button there.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Is this even an opinion? I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man is a great book, but it's technically a terrible "modern realistic retelling" of the classic Spider-Man comics. How exactly is Demon Goblin more realistic than regular Goblin? How is a 15-year old getting an office job in Manhattan more "realistic" than a 15-year old getting a freelance job as photographer? Why were so many characters changed from their 616 counterparts for no reason?

Regardless of whether it was better or not, The Spectacular Spider-Man was more of an actual modern/realistic retelling of the Lee/Ditko/Romita comics, which is what Ultimate was supposed to be.
    Well, i still find plenty of people that tell me that Ultimate is the best modernization of the characther and that it has the spirit of the classic version wich is a claim that i....question.

Overall i can understand some of Bendis decisions like May and Gwen considering how those two were basically plot devices for most of their existence in the 616. But then you get to stuff like HulkGoblin (fun fact the Ultimate cartoon tried to combine that with classic Goblin by having Hulkgoblin in a glider and it was as awfull as it sounds lol) or MJ being Peter childhood friend.

-I supposed that i should another opinion, i don't like the idea of Peter and MJ knowing eacth other until they are at least 16, nothing wrong the childhood friends trope, but is just not a thing that i personally relate to those two.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Considering that MJ was gonna be the love interest eventually and Weisman wasn't planning on killing Gwen, i imagine that we were supposed to see her characther flaws more in the next season and that would lead to both of then breaking up at some point (assuming that they would get pass all Harry's emotional manipulation).
    Yeah I guess so.

Frankly I think Peter and Gwen should've been together not only at the end of season 2, but for the rest of the cartoon, they're both so shitty as boyfriend/girlfriend that I think nobody else deserves to suffer either of them .

We haven't seen old school Venom since like some parts of the Mackie/Byrne reboot, he strangely has been more of an anti-hero longer than he has been a villain. And after the movie and Cates retcons, i don't think that we will see that version again for a long time, even his creator (Michelinie) commented something about that after seeing the movie .
    Yeah we'll probably only see Venom as a villain at first at most, this idea of him being an anti-hero is becoming more widespread.

Also, to clarify i don't mind the changes that Ultimate or Spec did to his background to make him closer to Peter, is just that IMO his original concept wasn't a bad one.
    Original Eddie doesn't work as much with this idea of anti hero Venom, 'cause he was just a pathetic guy, fakes some interview, Spidey ends up revealing the truth about the whole Sin Eater think, then blames every shitty thing that happened to him on Peter, yeah...

Not saying original Eddie was bad, he was fine, just that someone like that can be harder to care for if he becomes more heroic.

Then again, if what I hear of what Spectacular was planning is true, that Eddie would eventually become more like his Lethal Protector characterization, I'd find it hard to believe he can go that way too, Spectacular Eddie is a colossal piece of **** and in some ways, more evil than 616 Venom used to be, so yeah...

Lol, my mistake there (thougth maybe Otto deserve that silly name).
    If Otto started to act in a motherly way to get that nickname, I dunno how I'd react lol.

But overall yeah, i really don't like Slott Octopus, so much of him not only contradicts previous charactherization but he come across as such an ******* that i don't even find him likable even when the plot is telling me that i should and Peter's treatment and reaction during that whole period is just bad..At least Slott has the decency to press the reset button there.
    Yeah, he's still an evil ******* so it's weird when the plot tries to make it look like he's not that bad, doesn't help when they talk about the horrors he did as not being that bad...

Wonder what he'll be up to once he returns to ASM, if Spencer writes him, not sure if he'll have the classic personality, but I definitely don't see him becoming an anti-hero again.

Overall i can understand some of Bendis decisions like May and Gwen considering how those two were basically plot devices for most of their existence in the 616. But then you get to stuff like HulkGoblin (fun fact the Ultimate cartoon tried to combine that with classic Goblin by having Hulkgoblin in a glider and it was as awfull as it sounds lol)
    Honestly, Hulk Goblin in a glider is hard to picture for me, just don't really see it working that well lol.

Yeah we'll probably only see Venom as a villain at first at most, this idea of him being an anti-hero is becoming more widespread.
    Original Eddie doesn't work as much with this idea of anti hero Venom, 'cause he was just a pathetic guy, fakes some interview, Spidey ends up revealing the truth about the whole Sin Eater think, then blames every shitty thing that happened to him on Peter, yeah...

Not saying original Eddie was bad, he was fine, just that someone like that can be harder to care for if he becomes more heroic.

Then again, if what I hear of what Spectacular was planning is true, that Eddie would eventually become more like his Lethal Protector characterization, I'd find it hard to believe he can go that way too, Spectacular Eddie is a colossal piece of **** and in some ways, more evil than 616 Venom used to be, so yeah...
    I mean, part of me guesses this was a feature, not a bug. For one Eddie's own creation process was kinda rushed because Michelinie already had an idea for another host that was turned down by editorial, so he had to come up with Eddie as a host rather quick. In that same sense, he originally wanted Eddie to be an expendable host, someone that would die or be left by the Symbiote soon so it could jump onto another host over and over. So by all accounts, he was basically a monster of the week and very much made to be expendable and not someone you would care about. Obviously this backfire spectacularly, and now we have him as an A-List, but you know, it's interesting to think about that original process. Personally I think he works a little bit better after all the layers of retcons that were pushed after he was originally revealed, but I am personally of the opposite opinion, in that as a villain he is mostly style, little substance in his 616 version.