View Poll Results: Do You Think Zack Will Ever Back To Direct More Films?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure. It’s possible.

6 20.69%
  • No way, his DC days are over.

15 51.72%
  • I’m not sure.

8 27.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think it'll depend on how successful/well-received the Snyder-cut turns out. It's all about the bottom line for WB and from Snyder's POV, they did give him a ton of money to finish the thing - and if their relationship during the reshoots goes well, he might want to dive back in just for the vindication if nothing else. He got **** for "dark superhero movies" when Marvel was hitting their stride. And then "Joker" happened. So, who knows?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think it'll depend on how successful/well-received the Snyder-cut turns out. It's all about the bottom line for WB and from Snyder's POV, they did give him a ton of money to finish the thing - and if their relationship during the reshoots goes well, he might want to dive back in just for the vindication if nothing else. He got **** for "dark superhero movies" when Marvel was hitting their stride. And then "Joker" happened. So, who knows?
    Looking at the success of not only Joker, but the Nolan Bat films and Logan, I don't know if the real issue with his movies was ever really that they were "dark."

I mean, Richard Donner didn't direct the next Superman movie after the Donner Cut was released.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

I think the question if WB would be interested in Snyder making more DC movies for them going to depend on their future plans for the film franchise (e.g. are they open to the idea of a "Snyder-verse" series that coexists alongside the main DCEU somehow, would they want him to work within the confines with the post-JL theatrical cut DCUE, do they like his work enough to want him to continue) and the success level of the Snyder Cut (doubt we'll ever know how truly successful it will be, but it seems less likely that Snyder will be called back if it ends in the red and vice versa).

Course, do we even know if Snyder wants to make more DC movies or if he's ready to be done after finishing the movie-turned-miniseries?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Looking at the success of not only Joker, but the Nolan Bat films and Logan, I don't know if the real issue with his movies was ever really that they were "dark."
    IMO, the issue was his lack of talent as a director. He'd probably make a good second unit director; he does seem to have a real talent for action scenes, though he needs a better DP, his shot framing is terrible, and his filters are also bad. And he can probably be a good FX supervisor, but as the principle director he just doesn't show much talent or any sense of character development or plotting. The bit in MoS where after he'd spent about half a movie making it seem like Zod and company at least thought they were in the right...Faora gives a speech that blows away everything he'd been trying to do with the other Kryptonians by telling Superman that she and the other have no morals, and that makes them superior, or words to that effect. So...either she thinks she's justified in doing what she's trying to do, or she doesn't. Which is it? She went from having at least the appearance of what she thinks is a valid motive, to admitting she's basically a mustache twirling villain in a heartbeat. A good director would have seen that and eliminated Faora's speech, which would have solved the problem.

But again, it's pointless to speculate, who knows what exec bonuses might depend on Snyder directing another one. And if they do, look for him to be back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think the question if WB would be interested in Snyder making more DC movies for them going to depend on their future plans for the film franchise (e.g. are they open to the idea of a "Snyder-verse" series that coexists alongside the main DCEU somehow, would they want him to work within the confines with the post-JL theatrical cut DCUE, do they like his work enough to want him to continue) and the success level of the Snyder Cut (doubt we'll ever know how truly successful it will be, but it seems less likely that Snyder will be called back if it ends in the red and vice versa).

Course, do we even know if Snyder wants to make more DC movies or if he's ready to be done after finishing the movie-turned-miniseries?
    Good point. Everyone's just assuming he does. Perhaps he found WB an unpleasant place to work for. Perhaps he's just done with the genre after this. And in any case, there's also the likelihood that budgets for superhero or any other movies will be cut dramatically in the wake of COVID, which won't favor him as a feature director, even assuming the theater business is still viable a year or two down the road.

He ain't getting another 250 million, that's for sure.

Which is also why I'm skeptical of the talk of a JL sequel on HBO Max. 70 million sounds like a lot for reshoots, but that's still peanuts compared to the 300 million that was already spent making it the first time. Creating another all new Justice League movie from scratch would have a price tag closer to the latter than the former.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think at best, they give him a smaller name project that's unimportant to the other properties, but not one of their flagship movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed. It's definitely his lack of talent and vision more than anything else.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He ain't getting another 250 million, that's for sure.

Which is also why I'm skeptical of the talk of a JL sequel on HBO Max. 70 million sounds like a lot for reshoots, but that's still peanuts compared to the 300 million that was already spent making it the first time. Creating another all new Justice League movie from scratch would have a price tag closer to the latter than the former.
    This.

Especially after the behavior of his fandom-who FAIL to understand you don't know WHO knows WHO when you attack folks.

So even if that thing is a hit-all that baggage might have cost him a shot at some properties.

Does that mean he can't get Hitman or Question or Demon? No.

Does it mean he won't get Batman and SUperman-probably because in at least Batman's case there is another film. Trying to bully or harass to get that film to fit Snyder's universe won't end well for those who try it.

WB laid folks off and gave him 70 million- that thing better bring in a TON of new subscribers who don't cancel before the free month is over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Does that mean he can't get Hitman or Question or Demon? No.
    In the name of all that is holy, he should NOT be given The Question. We all saw what he thinks of Superman. He would basically just make The Question into Rorschach, but once again completely miss the point of the character.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

If the Snyder Cut does well I could see him being the showrunner or producer on some HBO Max streaming projects but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What does WB feel about him?
    They’re giving him the equivalent of a brand new movie budget to finish his cut and giving him complete freedom to do what he wants. They clearly are trusting him to bring in lots of subs.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My feeling is regardless of whether the 'Snyder Cut' is a raging smash hit - the whole Justice League thing has become completely toxic.
    I don't see him being attached to any DC property ever again.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Spectacular Member

I would love for him to stay as a cinematographer as his movies are visually stunning