Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Characters you don't know why they're fan-favorites.

Hey guys.

This mostly happens to me with Marvel tho. I run into a characters that look lame and haven't been around since like 2005... but it turns out they have a huge fan base! (the Simon Williams case amazes me)
    In this case i have a very short list, but I'm sure you feel the same about some DC characters.

- Deathstroke: I dont really see the point.
    - Val-Zod: man, the guy has the personality of a wall.
    - Firestorm: Sooo lame. Worst costume ever. Too powerful for his own good.

What are yours?
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

Kyle Rayner, every time.

I will be expelled from the forum, but... Superman.
    I really applaud the work of the creative team to try and make character interesting. He is not just all-powerful, but also de paragon of moral and correctness. You can not even outwit him. Mxyzptlk and Luthor are prove of that. What can be a challenge for a being like that? Likewise, I am half-tempted to try some of the new Justice League, to see what kind of challenge can take more than 30 minutes of the time of a group with Superman and TWO Green Lanterns. Yes, I've read some stories of him that pulled the trick in an amazing way, tales both engaging and creative. But the character just does not grown on me, is not my cup of tea.
    I know this is odd coming from someone who is enjoying the current Wonder Woman book, a character that is up there with him in terms of raw power, but she is not the quintessencial goody two-shoes.
    I don't mean it in a bad way, just... not my personal preference. I'd apreciate suggestions of stories that can change my view. "Red Son" and Alex Ross "Peace on Earth" showed me that there can be more depth on the character. What else can I read?
    Last edited by FlictsLantern; 07-19-2016 at 02:12 PM.

BANNED

Jason Todd. I don't hate him but he seems like a pretty one note character to me. Under the Red Hood was a great story but that's about it. And as we all know Red Hood had some of the worst comics of the New 52.

Donna Troy.

Messy also-ran of Wonder Woman with none of her political importance, created expressly for tokenism. Barely essential in the way Supergirl or Robin/Nightwing represent significant changes to their mentors. Described as a more "human" and "patient" version of Wonder Woman. An incredibly boring character trumped on every level by the Wonder Girl that followed.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-19-2016 at 02:16 PM.

BANNED

I get why Batman is popular, but the degree and durability of his popularity startle me. It seems as if DC just says he's all that, and people buy into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Jason Todd. I don't hate him but he seems like a pretty one note character to me. Under the Red Hood was a great story but that's about it. And as we all know Red Hood had some of the worst comics of the New 52.
    Agree about Jason on the one note and awful comics but I really dislike the character. He's probably the only comic book character that I "hate".
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

world that hates & fears trudreck's Avatar

i can see not connecting with superman or batman, but i honestly can't imagine not understanding why they are popular. DC has done such a great job maintaining their status as global icons for decades & decades, i think a lot of people end up liking the 'classic' characters simply because they always remember liking them! but the secondary or tertiary characters that you have to grow attached to ? here's the ones i have no idea how they became beloved (even by a small group) ...

LARFLEEZE - like a third-rate attempt at a DISCWORLD character
    ABIN SUR - the least electrifying man in comic book entertainment
    RED HOOD - i love jason, but the bad boy mercenary gimmick is beyond played out
    MARTIAN MANHUNTER - what if superman had LESS personality ?
    DONNA TROY - ditto what CRaymond said.

i know he is hardly beloved by any, but i want to note, my least favourite DC character of all time is SHAGGY MAN. i will not read any comic featuring shaggy man.

Donna Troy
    Steph Brown - I really don't get it
    Terra - I really, really don't get it.
    Martian Manhunter

That's all I can think about atm.

Everybody I don't like and nobody I do.

I had a big list typed up, but then I realized, it's me, not them.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Donna Troy
    Hawkman
    Ted Kord
    Hal Jordan
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Deathstroke- I've just never understood the appeal.

Cassandra Cain- Personally, I find her extremely uninteresting.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Batwoman
    Stephanie Brown
    Tim Drake
    Oliver Queen: The CW version
    Felicity Smoak-she does count as DC character right(?)
    Gorilla Grodd

Joker
    Rose Wilson

BANNED

Totally forgot about the Joker. Let's add his chick HQ there too. I get them having some popularity but not this much.
    Who the heck is Rose Wilson? I keep hearing about this character.