Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure those things attacked her first.
    After several warnings...
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I had to think very hard about buying this issue considering how much I disliked rebirth, but I was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed the book and for some one like me who has never really ready wonder woman , this was a much less confusing issue.

Astonishing Member

Rucka did two things this issue that not only sold the issue for me but are things that every time somebody has ever asked a forum question of "how would you make Wonder Woman cool?" are my go-to answers.

Firstly, he had Wonder Woman fight a pack of werewolves. That's always my go-to. I want her to become den-mother to a pack of werewolves, and she'd probably be a safer guardian for such cursed creatures than Cheetah is, I imagine. Noting that I can't tell if these are actual werewolves, maybe werehyenas (like in Azz's run) or werejackals. But I mean, for posterity's sake here, they're some kind of werewolf things.

Secondly, he had Steve Trevor basically just be Duke from G.I. Joe, which is something I didn't realize I wanted until I read Larry Hama's Convergence: Wonder Woman issues featuring you know, Steve Trevor basically just being Duke from G.I. Joe, fighting and failing against a Vampire Joker. And being Duke from G.I. Joe doesn't mean being the soldiered up action man archetype, it means constantly getting those "compassion of a soldier" moments in these war-torn regions. That Hama touch.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue. Great writing by Rucka and Sharpe's art is really awesome.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That there is absolutely no mention of here.
    I imagine we'll find out about this apparent gap when Wonder Woman tells Cheetah more about what's going on. My guess would be that when Wonder Woman didn't get answers in her faux Olympus, she just left (probably as easily as she came--because I don't think we saw evidence that she was really stuck in a trap) and tried to go to Themyscira, seeing it as the next logical place to look for answers. Maybe she found a false, empty Themysicra, just like she found a false, empty Olympus. And when she couldn't find the [real] island, she sought help elsewhere; we know from Azz's run that Artemis is her go-to goddess when she's looking for someone, but if Artemis is missing along with the real Olympus, maybe Cheetah's goddess is the next huntress down in Wonder Woman's rolodex.

Or, maybe there'll be less obvious, potentially more interesting answers to your questions. I'm curious, but I don't really mind waiting until #3 to find out what happened between Rebirth and #1; a lot of good storytelling is at least somewhat non-linear.

Such beautiful artwork in this issue. Many of the panels could stand on their own as works of art.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well, I just read issue #1 and I have to say that I like what i'm seeing so far. Diana goes to see the Cheetah in hopes of getting Cheetah's goddess to help her get back to Themyscira which is somehow lost to Diana. After being attacked by Cheetah's minions of were-men(?) she finally gets attacked by Cheetah herself who manages to pin Diana on the ground before Diana makes her plea to Cheetah for help. Diana tries offering an olive branch to Cheetah and her minions several times before fighting them which I thought was a huge step up from Rucka's characterization of Diana from his previous run. In the midst of all of this Steve Trevor is leading a unit of men nearby against a foreign dictator. Steve appears to be under the command of Etta Candy(who is still African American but now pleasantly plum ala pre-New 52 Amanda Waller sans the constant foul attitude). Sharp's design for the Cheetah is a bit terrifying(in a good way) and I also love his rendition of Etta with her glammed up hair & nails. This book is off to a great start IMO.
    I agree, this was a strong start and I'm very happy to see them immediately focus in on Steve and Etta as a core part of the story right from the jump. Looking forward to seeing how they integrate Year One into the story too. From what I've been seeing it sounds like the stories will play off one another a bit!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, she's not talking to herself. She's talking to Cheetah.
    And there is a reason why Diana has 'only' appears in 4 out of 10 panels.
    Her pages have mostly just her, and tend to be huge panels.
    Steve and Etta's pages have tons of small panels with a lot of close-ups and dialogue. Apples and oranges.
    She's got 10 pages all to herself. Steve and Etta share 9 pages.
    I never said it was bad, did I? I quite like stories with many stories in them. For example DKR where Batman's story is told through the POV of ordinary cits or the news.

It's just that to me, she walked through a whole issue looking as if she was talking to herself. And then now and then there was action man Steve firing his rifle.

To me the most interesting thing was Cheetah. Which got me curious, considering how Little interest I'v had in her character since Marston's wacky pervy comics. Has me looking quite forward to next month's issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Now, I do think she's smiling, but not in cruelty.
    She's not killing anybody though.

And holy dupplicitous cropping, Batman!!!
    You make it look as if there's bits and pieces and ribs of those hyena men (?) flying around when in fact they're fighting on a pile of bones of the poor, innocent furries' former victims.

I borrowed it from the internet. Didn't edit it. Picture you posted only looks "worse"* to me. She's shown to kill even more. Standing on their corpses, demanding that they'll listen. I was just saying I don't see much mercy in this story. She rather reminded me a great bit about Slaine, which I happened to read the same morning.

*Not meant as something I hold against her character in this story. I'm perfectly fine that she's not about mercy in every story. She's also a warrior.
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-23-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    I never said it was bad, did I? I quite like stories with many stories in them. For example DKR where Batman's story is told through the POV of ordinary cits or the news.

It's just that to me, she walked through a whole issue looking as if she was talking to herself. And then now and then there was action man Steve firing his rifle.

To me the most interesting thing was Cheetah. Which got me curious, considering how Little interest I'v had in her character since Marston's wacky pervy comics. Has me looking quite forward to next month's issue!

I borrowed it from the internet. Didn't edit it. Picture you posted only looks "worse"* to me. She's shown to kill even more. Standing on their corpses, demanding that they'll listen. I was just saying I don't see much mercy in this story. She rather reminded me a great bit about Slaine, which I happened to read the same morning.

*Not meant as something I hold against her character in this story. I'm perfectly fine that she's not about mercy in every story. She's also a warrior.
    She doesn't kill any of them. They're unconscious. Unless you think she's so off her rocker that she's talking to corpses and asking them to listen to her.

This is our intro to the Bouda were-hyenas of African mythology. They are known to disguise themselves as handsome men, so they can stalk women, and turn into Hyenas and attack and kill them. Per Liam Sharp FB
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Spectacular Member

Those things don't even look like "were-cheetahs", actually more like the Hyena warriors that were First Born's many offspring from Azz's run. Even the pile of bones reminds me of some of the horror elements from his run...maybe the Hyenas gave their allegiance to Barbara Minerva since WW abandoned him to earth's core.

Liam Sharpe as expected is doing great art and you can rarely go wrong with him, but can't help but think Cheetah's new look is yet another attempt in a long line of changes and power upgrades to make her more powerful and relevant.

Suppose it will be interesting to pay attention and see where this leads...

Astonishing Member

She doesn't kill any of them. They're unconscious. Unless you think she's so off her rocker that she's talking to corpses and asking them to listen to her.
    I think she's asking Cheetah, not her minions (or their corpses) to listen. But I agree that it's not clear she killed anyone, so I assume that she did not.

While it's true that she's not literally speaking to herself, I agree with borntohula that it almost feels like she is--because there's no dialogue, but only monologue. Cheetah is so unresponsive (verbally, that is) that Wonder Woman could understandably tell her "I feel like I'm talking to myself here." And it's noticeable that Wonder Woman hasn't really had any dialogue with anyone in the first two issues. I want to her respond to others and I want to hear others respond to her. But it's not a big deal, because i'm sure it will change quickly.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    This is our intro to the Bouda were-hyenas of African mythology. They are known to disguise themselves as handsome men, so they can stalk women, and turn into Hyenas and attack and kill them. Per Liam Sharp FB
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    That's pretty interesting...just googled the concept. So they actually are Hyenas? That's still so like the hyena offspring from the New52 run I'm surprised they'd use something so similar.

Mighty Member

I see her strangling two of them, while smiling. She's then standing on top of a pile of their corpses. Given how much she's thinking out loud during this issue, perhaps then she'd added that "I just chocked them out." :P

As I said. I'm not bothered by it. It's not as much fun as when she's dancing disco in WW77 or getting make up put on in E1, but for a warrior take on her character it does the trick

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Cool find. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Those things don't even look like "were-cheetahs", actually more like the Hyena warriors that were First Born's many offspring from Azz's run. Even the pile of bones reminds me of some of the horror elements from his run...maybe the Hyenas gave their allegiance to Barbara Minerva since WW abandoned him to earth's core.

Liam Sharpe as expected is doing great art and you can rarely go wrong with him, but can't help but think Cheetah's new look is yet another attempt in a long line of changes and power upgrades to make her more powerful and relevant.

Suppose it will be interesting to pay attention and see where this leads...
    To me it's in her Eyes. They're animal like, but Liam managed to put a hint of human in them. Something seems to happen in her when Diana asks for her help.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I think she's asking Cheetah, not her minions (or their corpses) to listen. But I agree that it's not clear she killed anyone, so I assume that she did not.

While it's true that she's not literally speaking to herself, I agree with borntohula that it almost feels like she is--because there's no dialogue, but only monologue. Cheetah is so unresponsive (verbally, that is) that Wonder Woman could understandably tell her "I feel like I'm talking to myself here." And it's noticeable that Wonder Woman hasn't really had any dialogue with anyone in the first two issues. I want to her respond to others and I want to hear others respond to her. But it's not a big deal, because i'm sure it will change quickly.
    I think it would be cool if she wasn't capable of speach in this story. The way she'd confront the World would be in a simillar manner as she's leading her pack of furry dudes. Her finding middle ground with Diana (who's constantly thinking out loud) would be interesting. Making Cheetah less straight up villian, but more complicated (due to nature). A bit akin to the comradeship between Venom Snake's and the sniper Quiet in Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain. Action instead of words.
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-23-2016 at 02:32 PM.

I see her strangling two of them, while smiling. She's then standing on top of a pile of their corpses. Given how much she's thinking out loud during this issue, perhaps then she'd added that "I just chocked them out." :P

As I said. I'm not bothered by it. It's not as much fun as when she's dancing disco in WW77 or getting make up put on in E1, but for a warrior take on her character it does the trick

Cool find. Thanks
    I don't know if I'd call this a warrior take on her. I feel like that's too shallow a reading of it.