Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    As a Kid i always loved Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, but i never rewatched since i became an adult.
    I liked Batman Forever a lot more than Batman and Robin which was camp on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Have the tides turned against Gone with the Wind and people now dislike it because of it's racism? Because aside from the slave characters I think the movie kicks ass to this day.
    Beyond the racist overtones and such, I never thought GWTW was all that great. I watched it one and thought it was meh.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Have the tides turned against Gone with the Wind and people now dislike it because of it's racism? Because aside from the slave characters I think the movie kicks ass to this day.
    TMC did a nice little series earlier in the week about movies that are problematic but still considered great. Gone with the Wind was one of them, obviously due to racist stereotypes of black people. One of the matters they discussed was that, in spite of the racist stuff and glossing over the ills of slavery, we need to recognize the performance of Hattie McDaniels and other black actors in the film who, at the time, would not have gotten any other kinds of roles.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

There was a movie I saw on Amazon called Bad Ben...it’s utter crap but so crap i rewatched it ten times

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    TMC did a nice little series earlier in the week about movies that are problematic but still considered great. Gone with the Wind was one of them, obviously due to racist stereotypes of black people. One of the matters they discussed was that, in spite of the racist stuff and glossing over the ills of slavery, we need to recognize the performance of Hattie McDaniels and other black actors in the film who, at the time, would not have gotten any other kinds of roles.
    I watched BIRTH OF A NATION in film studies--at least the first part, I think I only saw clips from the second part which is about celebrating the K.K.K. It might be a horrible movie, but it's important for all the film techniques that D.W. Griffith pioneered. I also watched TRIUMPH OF THE WILL--it's essential to know these films to have some understanding of film language and how it has developed. I don't see how anyone that has a serious interest in the medium can be indifferent about that.

GONE WITH THE WIND is relevant in so many different ways--how it was produced, how it was cast, the directors that worked on it (credited and uncredited), how it was filmed, how it was distributed. You could do a whole course just on that one movie and you would learn a lot about the film industry, the struggle between art and commerce, discrimination, the roles for women in film, censorship, humanity and inhumanity.

As film history, BOAN and GWTW are both important. But they are also both pro slavery, "Lost Cause" propaganda. And the general audience doesn't watch as film students.
    Should they be banned, no, but their anti historical message must be acknowledged.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I liked Batman Forever a lot more than Batman and Robin which was camp on steroids.

Beyond the racist overtones and such, I never thought GWTW was all that great. I watched it one and thought it was meh.
    I watched it once with my mother when I was young because it was her favorite movie and I thought I could at least be decent about it since she clearly wanted her children to like or at least respect what she loved. So I watched it. I could not say I loved or even especially liked it.

Interestingly, my Mom loved all of the "Roots" series and her favorite scene that she thought was so great was when the character Sandy Duncan played ordered someone to get her a glass of water (with a really snotty attitude) and the black woman spit into the water and then gave it to her.

But, personally, even had the racist aspects not been there, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. But, when it first came out, it clearly was an overwhelmingly big deal.

I don't fault the movie for showing the situation as it really was or showing people with what we would consider racist attitudes as the main characters of the story. But it didn't show the situation as it really was. It just glorified the Old South.
    Power with Girl is better.

Margaret Mitchell was an unrepentant racist who wrote from stories who family told her when she was young about the glory days when the had plantations and owned slaves. Gone with the Wind is mourning a loss of those "wonderful" antibellum years.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I don't know if Spider-man 3 is universally hated. I think it's still the highest grossing Spider-man movie. But online it receives a lot of hate. So, based on that i would say its one. While a major stepdown from the first two films, it was a fun movie. It has the best action and cg in the three movies. Sandman's birth is easily one of the highlights of the Raimi series. If the movie had even a third of that quality, it would be one of the best Spider-man movies ever. People make fun of the emo Peter, but i had a lot of fun when he's dancing in the street or frustrating JJ Jameson. Its a fun flick imo.

X-Men 3 seems to be universally disliked as well. It has been years since i last watched it. But i remember liking it much more then the first two. The first two films were good, but nowhere as colorful and fantastic as the X-Men animated series. I didn't like them that much. But X-Men 3 had much more action. Deaths/depowering gave it a feel of endgame. And i loved the two new additions. Beast and Kitty Pryde. Beast practically transferred from the animated series itself. I was a big fan of Kitty Pryde from X-Men evolution. And while Ellen Page was nothing like that character, she left an impact with the limited time she had. I was very happy to see her in Days of Future Past again. If i would re-watch the trilogy, i may change my opinion. I haven't watched them since they came out. But i doubt that. I never feel the need to revisit them again like say Spider-man. I much preferred the later films like First Class, DoFP or Logan.

Justice League Even with its flaws i had a good time at the theatre. Especially due to Superman even if that meant that the tension was practically over after he returned to the fight. Dude's Superman. Of course he's OP. I think he's better served in an universe where he's the only superhero. I feel bad that the rest of the Justice League felt like an afterthought. That's the problem with these unplanned stuff. I remember they gave so much thought to how everyone contributes in the Justice League. Like say Batman used to be the key in League's victories. Here Batman has no impact in action. He becomes like Nick Fury for Justice League who can fight a bit. I liked the movie. But it was a decade too late. If this came out in say 2009, people might have loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I never had any problem with that I mean they were playing gods of Egypt not real people.
    That's just it, though. That means Black folks and POCs in their ethnic cultures aren't even allowed to have gods of color. If fantasy and escapism still has color barriers, then it's not really fantasy and escapism, it's still trapping the viewer in a harsh and segregated reality.

This isn't a knock on anyone that does like the movie, of course. What we like and what we reconcile with what we don't is a personal decision ultimately. But the challenges are real.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-06-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Margaret Mitchell was an unrepentant racist who wrote from stories who family told her when she was young about the glory days when the had plantations and owned slaves. Gone with the Wind is mourning a loss of those "wonderful" antibellum years.
    In a nutshell, yes. And GWTW is absolutely a movie intended to bolster white people's spirits at the end of the depression era.

The other movie I saw in the "problematic" film series was "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" - not racist, but ... its gender politics were complicated for sure.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Niffleheim

Does Universally mean both audience and critics? It isn't even a matter of like it is love for me lol! I love Norbit, Underworld, and Sister Act Back in the Habit.

I enjoy watching John Carter and Green Lantern - I don't get the dislike.

The dislike for Avatar is sooo weird to me that i hope it doesn't ruin my anticipation for the sequels.

SW Prequels. I will never understand the dislike because i was exposed to them when i was young and i have re-watched them more than the OT so anything said against them just fall on deaf ears lol

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In a nutshell, yes. And GWTW is absolutely a movie intended to bolster white people's spirits at the end of the depression era.

The other movie I saw in the "problematic" film series was "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" - not racist, but ... its gender politics were complicated for sure.
    Pretty much can be said of anything in the 50s. Women took an active roll in the work place during the war, and there was an active campaign by Hollywood and elsewhere to get them back into their "homemaker" roll to allow men to take back the workplace. This then resulted in the rise of feminism. That is simplistic, but in a nut shell.

Seven Brides did have amazing dancing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Does Universally mean both audience and critics?
    That's kind of what I assumed, both parties hate it primarily, or as close to universally as you can get without taking a mass poll.

I remember both audience and critics panning Hudson Hawk, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    You got one there everybody hated.