Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I predict DC becomes more and more the Bendis show, Snyder gets increasingly edged out and he moves on to creator owned work to great success. 5G bumps sales a bit for a few months and tanks. DC will want to ride it into the ground for about 18 months and roll it back in time for Batman 1000. But they'll see how 5G isn't the success they need so instead they'll become increasingly Marvel like in their event cycling (note how Bendis already brought his posse of Marvelites over to DC). It won't work and either the error is recognized and corrected like they tried with Rebirth (and **** the bed) or they go the Marvel route of infinite events, crossover, variants, #1s. If that happens, the most likely thing to happen is WB mostly closes shop on the floppies and goes the route of Manga and publishes exclusively self contained stories about the cash cow characters.

What I hope is that we see a major restructuring at the editorial level and that we get some hard asses in charge who take a hard look at the numbers and follow the money. The fact that sales on Batman tanked 20% 6 months after the wedding issue and had tanked 30% by the end of the run is beyond comprehension to me. I suppose they may have wanted to let the run see its course so they could collect it in trade and sell it as a "legendary run". But do we remember Batman having nightmares for what was it, 6 goddamn issues?! Did an editor not read that script and see how this was wasted space? Why not give that one issue, and spend the others telling an actual story so the run could wrap up quicker and the character get handed over to another team? I dunno. I'm not an editor but all it smells bad to me. It just doesn't pass the common sense test. And that's what I want, common sense editors with the power to hire and fire based on a solid, long vision oriented sales strategy.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I predict DC becomes more and more the Bendis show, Snyder gets increasingly edged out and he moves on to creator owned work to great success. 5G bumps sales a bit for a few months and tanks. DC will want to ride it into the ground for about 18 months and roll it back in time for Batman 1000. But they'll see how 5G isn't the success they need so instead they'll become increasingly Marvel like in their event cycling (note how Bendis already brought his posse of Marvelites over to DC). It won't work and either the error is recognized and corrected like they tried with Rebirth (and **** the bed) or they go the Marvel route of infinite events, crossover, variants, #1s. If that happens, the most likely thing to happen is WB mostly closes shop on the floppies and goes the route of Manga and publishes exclusively self contained stories about the cash cow characters.

What I hope is that we see a major restructuring at the editorial level and that we get some hard asses in charge who take a hard look at the numbers and follow the money. The fact that sales on Batman tanked 20% 6 months after the wedding issue and had tanked 30% by the end of the run is beyond comprehension to me. I suppose they may have wanted to let the run see its course so they could collect it in trade and sell it as a "legendary run". But do we remember Batman having nightmares for what was it, 6 goddamn issues?! Did an editor not read that script and see how this was wasted space? Why not give that one issue, and spend the others telling an actual story so the run could wrap up quicker and the character get handed over to another team? I dunno. I'm not an editor but all it smells bad to me. It just doesn't pass the common sense test. And that's what I want, common sense editors with the power to hire and fire based on a solid, long vision oriented sales strategy.
    Not to mention editors that are willing to tell writers, even upper tier writers, "No." Writers like Bendis, King, and even Snyder need someone to reel them in from time to time. But it seems no one does until they crash, burn, and destroy too much in their wake.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ooh! King shares a story about that. I forget the exact details but he was pitching the Knightmare arc, and his editor react with "You want to make 25 issues of Batman being depressed?" (this was before the run was cut) and King enthusiastically says "yes!". I forget how he managed to convince him or if he even mentioned it. I think they settled on a shorter Depressed Arc, but King finished the interview saying "In hindsight that wasn't a good idea"

New costume and more development for Duke
    Good Luke Fox stories
    Nightwing to be Nightwing again or Agent 37
    A spotlight on Steph and Cass
    Last edited by 9th.; 01-16-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Censorship Sucks

comics stay 3.99 so i don't have to drop them.

Astonishing Member

...note how Bendis already brought his posse of Marvelites over to DC.
    You're complaining about Greg Rucka on Lois Lane and Matt Fraction on Jimmy Olsen? Those are two of the best written books by either of the Big 2 at the moment.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You're complaining about Greg Rucka on Lois Lane and Matt Fraction on Jimmy Olsen? Those are two of the best written books by either of the Big 2 at the moment.
    I read the first issue of both those series and didn't like them. But no, I didn't complain about those books. You missed my point. I'm talking about office politics, not the content of the books.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Astonishing Member

I read the first issue of both those series and didn't like them. But no, I didn't complain about those books. You missed my point. I'm talking about office politics, not the content of the books.
    I understood your point. That's just not what I was interested in addressing.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I understood your point. That's just not what I was interested in addressing.
    Why address something that wasn't the point though? That's like debating one topic, getting bored of it, and then bringing in some slightly related topic to debate about instead without telling the person you were debating that you're changing topics on them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why address something that wasn't the point though? That's like debating one topic, getting bored of it, and then bringing in some slightly related topic to debate about instead without telling the person you were debating that you're changing topics on them.
    I wasn't debating the person, though. I was simply asking a question in regards to a specific comment in their post that I found interesting. I really have no interest in the rest of it.

Now that I know Damian will stop being Robin and Dick is back in the same month, I want them to be together in the Nightwing book

My hope is for Batman and Catwoman to break up, lol.

More meaningful Batwoman appearances in the comics, preferably another series, whether solo or team. These tiny guest appearances are unsatisfying for fans of the character IMO.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'd easily return to being a regular reader of Batman Comics if Cassandra Cain's Character was fixed.

A good Talia and Riddler Story would be nice too

Speaking of Bat characters to act more in character and show up, I want them to spread out more in the way that makes sense. The Outsiders and Gotham Knight is a good start, but I want them to spread out to the other Bat titles as well.

Right now Red Hood is busy with his team and students, so I won't include him

I already mention I want Damian to go to Dick now that he will break up with Batman, but I want Tim to go there as well if he doesn't have a solo. Tim and Damian are conflicting and Dick has been involved with them from the start. It will make a good story to have these Batman Reborn era brothers gather again.

Now that Gotham Knights is technically on Outsiders, I want Detective Comics to be a partnership book. Bring Batwoman back there. She debuted there twice. Bring in Julia Pennyworth as well. It's absurd to forget about her after her father dies.

Of course, with Luke becoming Batman both titles will be given to him, but that doesn't mean Kate and Julia can't appear there.

Stephanie is nowhere to be found so I want her to go to Batgirl

Now about Bette Kane. Honestly, I don't know. She wants to be with Kate, but Kate doesn't want her, and I know both Batman comics will be busy featuring Luke, so I want her to go to Barbara. Batgirls unite.