Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I can't believe to the sheer amount of bias happening here. How dare you call yourself a Superman fan and then act so unsupermanish. Being glad and happy about that a living human being, a person is not going to do his dream job with characters he likes, which was accompinied with a family tragedy and there were people who were joking even about that. Screw you all who will take this post personally and I hope some of you will, because you deserve to be called out for being a bad person. Zack Snyder has his opinion, has his vision, he is an artist and he has all the rights to do whatever he wants with a character that is almost a century old. There isn't much what Superman wasn't throughout all these years, so who the hell are you to tell how to get him right?
    It's possible to acknowledge that Snyder was a fan of the character, that he did have interest in it, and that he still failed. It can happen. You can maybe get your own idea or thing you like about it get in the way of doing justice to that work or property.

Snyder does love comics and so on and his films in part definitely does show that he knows or has read the stuff. But you know that line, "but a man's reach should exceed his grasp".

All of the earned money from tickets will go for restoration project of this Art Center.
    Those are studio films, not Snyder's own copyrighted works. So it's the studio who is doing the nice thing not him. And considering this is some arty director thing where they're not going to earn a lot of money, it's not much to them to make it charitable. And of course, all charitable donations qualify you for a tax write-off, so it's often in the interests of people involved to disgusing "cutting corners" with charity especially when it looks good or reflects well on them. WB are allowing Snyder to screen at a private place where he can talk smack within limits and cater to Synderistas while at the same time, WB doesn't have to deal with his mess and can happily move on and have done so for the most part.

He wouldn't be proud of such behaviour.
    Superman wouldn't be proud that the Jewish heritage of his co-creators was buried by Snyder's Jesus Christ imagery, nor would he proud of how they got stiffed and shafted by DC over the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's better that way they can't disappoint just blame the writer
    Exactly lol!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I can't believe to the sheer amount of bias happening here. How dare you call yourself a Superman fan and then act so unsupermanish. Being glad and happy about that a living human being, a person is not going to do his dream job with characters he likes, which was accompinied with a family tragedy and there were people who were joking even about that. Screw you all who will take this post personally and I hope some of you will, because you deserve to be called out for being a bad person. Zack Snyder has his opinion, has his vision, he is an artist and he has all the rights to do whatever he wants with a character that is almost a century old. There isn't much what Superman wasn't throughout all these years, so who the hell are you to tell how to get him right?

I love this quote he says during Q&A about Superman: "This character is confortned with a world that doesn't care about this stuff as much as he does" when talking about his goodness and belief in truth and justice. He is right. Superman's optimism was never challenged as much as in MoS and BvS. Leading a life of an optimist is freaking hard, it is difficult, optimism can be damaged and it does with Superman, but he finds strength to recover. This sequence is everything

Optimism prevailed.

On top of everything, Zack Snyder did three screenings of three director's cuts of his films Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and Batman v Superman as charity in Art Center. All of the earned money from tickets will go for restoration project of this Art Center. What was the last Superman thing you did? I thought as much. Try actually act as Superman for once, leave the man alone and allow people to enjoy other interpretations that they find connection with or else be ashamed to consider yourself a Superman fan. He wouldn't be proud of such behaviour.
    huge amount of bias?? Sure, I should be ecstatic that thanks to Snyder's take and vision for my favorite fictional character, he has been put on ice and no signs of another film with him as the lead for who knows how long, because a lot of people hated his vision and now WB have no idea what to do with him.

"f-king dream world." See? he knows how to insult people too. He's not above it. He's no saint.

I could care less about his personal life, I don't even know him. I wish him nothing bad, but as a Superman fan, he failed miserably to make him connect with most people. I'm very glad that in a way other DC directors have shown WB and Snyder that the DC superheroes don't have to be bleak, edgy and angsty in order to be successful and loved.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-25-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    LMAO!

Sweet Christ he was seriously gearing up to do Injustice. Lois was going to die and Superman was going to go evil. Thank GOD that didn’t happen, bad enough the only video game Superman shows up in is him being an absolute moron dictator. Snyder is an absolute edgelord who does not understand or like the character. I honestly hope they completely reboot Superman now, get rid of everything Snyder did.
    From what I understand he was gonna combine aspects of the N52 Earth one story and injustice. He really tried to combine classic stories with new modern mainstream stories and expect that to stick. Superman needed a modern trilogy for that and it feels like he was just banking on everyone using their feelings of superman from reeves to hit it home for them when superman turned evil.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    From what I understand he was gonna combine aspects of the N52 Earth one story and injustice. He really tried to combine classic stories with new modern mainstream stories and expect that to stick. Superman needed a modern trilogy for that and it feels like he was just banking on everyone using their feelings of superman from reeves to hit it home for them when superman turned evil.
    All he succeeded in doing was to create a disconnect. Some liked his ideas but many rejected it. BvS should have been a straight forward MoS sequel to correct some of the mistakes from the previous film but Snyder just doubled down and created even new ones.

There's no doubt Superman needed to be upgraded for modern times but I feel Snyder went about the wrong way, and doing Injustice is definitely NOT the right way.

The Lois/Superman relationship was one of the worst aspects of the DCEU, in part because Goyer can’t write a good romance to save his life, as seen in TDK trilogy. That Snyder made his relationship with Lois the reason for everything he did, when it was so half-baked and coasting off of your Superman tropes is just baffling. Was it too much to ask that Superman got to do something besides mope, pout, and pine after Lois? That he not be the ONLY one broken by Darkseid, this continuing to make SUPERMAN look so damn weak willed? Apparently it was too much for Zack. I still have no idea why Clark even does what he does, because it sure as hell isn’t due to anything the Kents taught him. I guess, given that he goes evil after Lois dies, that he was doing everything to get into bed with Lois.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    There's no doubt Superman needed to be upgraded for modern times but I feel Snyder went about the wrong way, and doing Injustice is definitely NOT the right way.
    On one hand I am impressed that DC allows people a lot of freedom in how to use their characters but on the other hand, I think someone at DC should have gone, "Hol'up a minute! Aren't all these evil takes on Superman or Superman going postal stuff we see, becoming as present and familiar as the good version and so damaging the brand?"

I mean stuff like Injustice introduced to an entire generation Superman as a totalitarian despot. And while I think Tom Taylor wrote the Injustice comics well and there's parts in the game that isn't bad, it's going to hurt the brand. I hope the next game adapts Dark Knights Metal and we see Evil Batman for a change, 'cause god I hate Injustice Bats.

Zack Snyder envisioned three movies based on the idea of Superman as a psycho killer. Either people fear he's going to become one, or he does stuff (when being default good) that isn't different if he was a jerk. And his planned Justice League movie would have had Superman submit to work with Darkseid. I am not saying that the idea is bad by itself, the DCAU did that well in Legacy but they made sure that evil Superman was wearing an Apokoliptan outfit and not the traditional S, and they balanced that with him fighting Darkseid in epic fashion. There's a way to do this and do it right. And Snyder doesn't know how to do it.

The Lois/Superman relationship was one of the worst aspects of the DCEU, in part because Goyer can’t write a good romance to save his life, as seen in TDK trilogy. That Snyder made his relationship with Lois the reason for everything he did, when it was so half-baked and coasting off of your Superman tropes is just baffling. Was it too much to ask that Superman got to do something besides mope, pout, and pine after Lois? That he not be the ONLY one broken by Darkseid, this continuing to make SUPERMAN look so damn weak willed? Apparently it was too much for Zack. I still have no idea why Clark even does what he does, because it sure as hell isn’t due to anything the Kents taught him. I guess, given that he goes evil after Lois dies, that he was doing everything to get into bed with Lois.
    Its always rushed. Hell I'd argue it was rushed even in the Donner films. And to a degree I get the conundrum. A film is circa two hours, and you're trying to adapt a nearly century year old pairing. But, all the same, that doesn't necessitate rushing. I long for some filmmaker to understand that they can still have an intriguing dynamic and good chemistry without having to rush them being in love with one another at first sight. It just doesn't work in a movie.

With all that said, I'll take rushing any day over an Injustice-like idea.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If we had to describe the DCEU in one word, "rushed" would be a great candidate. I'd probably pick "disappointing," but then again I seem to be one of the few guys who can't understand how Aquaman made a billion dollars.

Anyway, I think creator/fan interaction is in some regards the worst it's ever been. The internet has enabled fans to complain about stuff for decades now, and social media has given creators a chance to take their shots at the most critical fans, too. I don't know if that Snyder tweet is legit, since I don't tweet or know how easily Tweets can be faked, but this seems a bit overboard. I think a new response to poor critical response has been to point out flaws in the fans, which I think sometimes has merit but is usually unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not me. I want the next Superman movie to be something refreshing. No Luthor, no Zod. I want them to do a version of Superman that gets the character and setting right. I want to see the Fortress of Solitude of the Comics with giant computers, trophy rooms and other stuff. We have never seen that in live-action...either its some kryptonian terraforming crystals which Superman hardly ever visits except to get (bad) dating advice from his Space Dad, or it's some Kryptonian ship sent to earth in the distant past that Superman and Lois stumble on...which yeah, was wacky to me.
    Maybe not in the movies but the Fortress of Solitude on Supergirl did a pretty good job of capturing the grandeur of the FoS. Gigantic ice sculptures of Jor-El and Lara holding a globe of Krypton, a computer panel
    with keys in Kryptonian symbold, trophey displays, Kelex, Clark's pod he came to Earth in, even a little room with a baby Suneater. And Kara's space dad, a holographic Zor-El.

The same reason why the X-Men movies had everyone in leather and made jokes about yellow spandex, and why Ra's Al Ghul is some title passed down through the ages and not someone who dips in lazarus pits.

The idea of superhero movies especially with superpowered ones were effects, believability and so on. With Brainiac you have to sell an alien character, you have to do the shields, you have to do AI, and you have to do the Bottle City thing, or the more recent one where he downloads the data and destroys the original. Zod remember was a totally minor figure in comics but Richard Donner figured he could sell an alien if he is just like Superman so Evil Kryptonian it is.

But the MCU have now changed the game by putting in all that bizarre stuff back in movies. People once said that Mxyzsptlk is too bizarre for movies but after Guardians of the Galaxy that excuse doesn't work. If you can make a talking racoon into a character we can believe in and take seriously as a personality, you can do an imp from the 5th dimension.
    And yet Brainiac is rumored to be the villain in the Supergirl movie. I am guessing they probably won't be spending as much on a Supergirl movie too.

I would love to get Brainiac but apparently they are wasting him on the Supergirl movie. I’m sick of the evil Superman story too though so I agree with you. God is too much to ask to get an actual Superman movie that loves and embraces Superman?
    I wouldn't say it is wasting. There is the potential for this to be an excellent Brainiac. As they say use it or lose it. Superman never cared to face off against Brainiac. So let someone else who also has a long
    history with Brainiac take him on.

This is the longer quote from that section of his talk, it was in reference to how after Watchmen you shouldn't look at super heroes as good people:

Once you’ve lost your virginity to this fucking movie [Watchmen] and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.’ I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the fucking road on that.

It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn’t fucking lie to America. My heroes didn’t embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn’t commit any atrocities.’ That’s cool. But you’re living in a fucking dream world.
    He's literally every "edgy" deconstruction of Superheroes from like 1990 on. So it's not surprising that his version of the DCU came out this way and how he's got a crap version of Superman.

It sounds like his first draft of Justice League Part 1 would have borrowed more from the New 52 Earth 2 than Injustice. He had Darkseid kill not only Lois Lane, but Wonder Woman and Aquaman and Steppenwolf (for resurrecting Superman), leaving Batman, Flash, and a torn in half Cyborg to go back in time in Justice League 2 to avert the Knightmare world where Superman was corrupted by the Anti Life Equation. But that was too dark even for WB at the time. I'm sure WB probably would have just let him kill Lois and go a full Injustice take if BvS hadn't gotten so much criticism and shown his "vision" to be the edgelord joke it is.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-25-2019 at 12:28 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is the longer quote from that section of his talk, it was in reference to how after Watchmen you shouldn't look at super heroes as good people:
    Man he totally misunderstood the point of Watchmen. You know what Alan Moore did after Watchmen. He went out and made experimental comics for independent publishers and others about non-superhero stuff and outside of that time he worked in Image for Liefeld that is the bulk of the stuff he has done since. If Snyder believed that so much that's what he should have done. Go make movies about non-superheroes and movies about that. Practice what you preach.

It sounds like his first draft of Justice League Part 1 would have borrowed more from the New 52 Earth 2 than Injustice. He had Darkseid kill not only Lois Lane, but Wonder Woman and Aquaman and Steppenwolf (for resurrecting Superman), leaving Batman, Flash, and a torn in half Cyborg to go back in time in Justice League 2 to avert the Knightmare world where Superman was corrupted by the Anti Life Equation. But that was too dark even for WB at the time. I'm sure WB probably would have just let him kill Lois and go a full Injustice take if BvS hadn't gotten so much criticism and shown his "vision" to be the edgelord joke it is.
    I think it was when BVS came out that sanity prevailed and people at Warner Bros realized, "A movie called Justice League about our greatest superhero team should...this might sound cazy fellas...should prolly not be such a downer".

A Batman-Superman team up (and hey, Wonder Woman's here too) should be the coolest thing ever...not watching the saddest Superman ever team up with a Batman who is closer to ASBAR than TDKR.

I will admit that I did get a thrill in BVS when you saw Wonder Woman showing up and the three face Doomsday together. Ideally that moment should be as big and special as when Han, Luke, and Leia first meet up in the Death Star infiltration of ANH...but instead it comes too late and it doesn't land. Superman and Batman meeting should have been like Pacino/Deniro in Heat. The two biggest superheroes of the 20th Century for the first time face-to-face.

I think it was when BVS came out that sanity prevailed and people at Warner Bros realized, "A movie called Justice League about our greatest superhero team should...this might sound cazy fellas...should prolly not be such a downer".
    From what the way he makes it sound that first draft got rejected even before BvS came out. Once it came out and was ripped so badly, they made him make even more changes. I mean, that first draft would have likely precluded Aquaman at the very least unless they were planning on filming JL 1 & 2 back to back. It's not clear what his shooting script for Justice League would have entailed before BvS. I'm sure it was a mess regardless.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

LMAO!

Sweet Christ he was seriously gearing up to do Injustice. Lois was going to die and Superman was going to go evil. Thank GOD that didn’t happen, bad enough the only video game Superman shows up in is him being an absolute moron dictator. Snyder is an absolute edgelord who does not understand or like the character. I honestly hope they completely reboot Superman now, get rid of everything Snyder did.
    You obviously haven't heard what he actually said either. Lois Lane was going to be saved in JL by The Flash when time jumped a second time. They came up with a concept of time travel that Earth had to be in a same position in solar system from point A to point B in order to not end up in open space when opening space continuum tube. Because of that Cyborg calculated only two possible windows in order for Barry to travel back in time and end up on Earth in the Batcave. First time was BvS, it didn't work, so Snyder said that in order to undo Knightmare timeline they had to use another window at the end of the original script and a second window led to the moment right before Darkseid killed Lois to make Superman vulnerable to Anti-Life Equation.

Listen to the source before saying something, please. Biased bloggers and tweets are not doing those Q&A sessions justice.

BANNED

I have a question: how is Lois dying and the League turning back time to save her any different from the conclusion of Donner's Superman 1?

Donner did all that in one movie (143 minutes along) while Snyder planned to drag that along for four movies. How is Snyder somehow doing anything truly different from before?

Before you ask, I never liked the conclusion of that movie and I thought that if they weren't going to kill off Lois they should not have teased and set that up. But Snyder was basically hooking his entire second and third film on the same beat and moment.

Again, this is part of my issues with Snyder. His movies still rewire and redo stuff from the first 2 movies but only now with extra edgelord crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

He's literally every "edgy" deconstruction of Superheroes from like 1990 on. So it's not surprising that his version of the DCU came out this way and how he's got a crap version of Superman.

These idiots should all read Ending Battle.
    I mean seriously, this guy sounds like he’d rather be making a Manchester Black film. Tell me this doesn’t sound like something Snyder would say:
    6039C384-87EF-43D4-8D8A-7B76EA95056A.jpg