Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bleeding Cool suggests Spider-Gwen spinoffs coming

Rich Johnston says that he has been told by Marvel that "big things are happening in the Spider-Gwen Universe” in the near future." His takeaway is that "one monthly comic book is, apparntly, nowhere near enough for Spider-Gwen…"

It is one book that probably could support spinoffs so early.

An origin mini-series could be effective.

And a team-up title could be fun with an entire universe to explore.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Spider-Gwen series happened because fans immediately responded to the character.

Would seem like a less than great idea to start doing spinoffs unless and until another character(s) gets a response in Spider-Gwen.

No?

Mighty Member

spin offs with who?

There's nobody else there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    spin offs with who?

There's nobody else there.
    I'd imagine satellite books are a possibility.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

sometimes it seems to me that superhero comics apply a churn and burn business philosophy to certain titles. the closest example i can think of to this is a marketing/distribution company i know that will either discover or jump on the bandwagon of some sort of new product (eg horny goatweed) and smash it out over the course of a year, rake in millions and then dump it (usually selling it on to someone else) before it loses heat. then on to the next product, whatever it is. it’s short term sales spikes, but it works a treat for them and they are swimming in cash.

i might be off base, but it looks like longevity is important on iconic titles, but everything else is made to shine bright and then die. that would include pumping as much related product out of spin offs as can be in a short time. if the titles somehow garner a long term readership- fantastic. but if they don’t, the short term sales surge from a new series is still good for the books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'd imagine satellite books are a possibility.
    Don't particularly care. BleedingCool 'spoilers' are as genuinely valid as a pig with wing.

iMan 42s

It would be cool if this turned into the new Ultimate Universe but instead things are given more freedom instead of being re-tellings of the old stories.

Still the amount of potential based off of Gwen at 4 issues doesn't seem like a good idea at first, but other characters being re-imagined would be smart to keep this universe around. It is apparently in its early days of hero's so there is a lot you can do with that when everything goes back to relative normal after secret wars.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Isn't this similar to how the MC-2 universe began? An issue of What If spins off into an ongoing, and from there other titles emerge. Granted, Spider-Girl is the only one that lasted but the precedent is still there.

I suppose a Castle/DeWolff buddy-cop book is a possibility. Or a BODEGA BANDIT: I'M NOT THE HAMBURGLAR! mini-series exploring the powerless street-level villain community of New York City. A sorta reverse Kick-Ass.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 05-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

This is exactly what happened with MC2 and the Ultimate universe. So it's no surprise it's happening again, especially since so far Spider Gwen is more popular than either Spider-Girl or Ultimate Spidey as far as sales are concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    This is exactly what happened with MC2 and the Ultimate universe. So it's no surprise it's happening again, especially since so far Spider Gwen is more popular than either Spider-Girl or Ultimate Spidey as far as sales are concerned.
    She has brought in more female fans to the series than any other female cast member in history, that's a feat a batman series female would accomplish with ease.

Wow. Its really hilarious that the moment the get rid of their existing alternate universes with a big event marks the beginning of yet another new alternative universe.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Isn't this similar to how the MC-2 universe began? An issue of What If spins off into an ongoing, and from there other titles emerge. Granted, Spider-Girl is the only one that lasted but the precedent is still there.

I suppose a Castle/DeWolff buddy-cop book is a possibility. Or a BODEGA BANDIT: I'M NOT THE HAMBURGLAR! mini-series exploring the powerless street-level villain community of New York City. A sorta reverse Kick-Ass.
    The What-If issue that introduced Spider-Girl also gave us a look at the Avengers of that world (A-Next). One of the solo Avengers also got their own title (J2, the son of the Juggernaut).

Which is a bit more than we've seen so far from Spider-Gwen. Unless they're planning on giving the band their own comic.

Not surprised by this. Spider-Gwen was a top selling comic when it debuted. I don't think Marvel expected it to be this successful, but I'm glad it has been. I get the sense that this series will act in the same way Ultimate Spider-Man acted in 2000. It was the catalyst for what later became the Ultimate universe. Now that Ultimate is being destroyed in Secret Wars, there's a void to be filled. So why not use the world of Spider-Gwen? It'll give them an opportunity to provide an alternative for X-men, Avengers, and the Fantastic Four. And hopefully Marvel has learned from the failures of Ultimate how to make this one better.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The What-If issue that introduced Spider-Girl also gave us a look at the Avengers of that world (A-Next). One of the solo Avengers also got their own title (J2, the son of the Juggernaut).

Which is a bit more than we've seen so far from Spider-Gwen. Unless they're planning on giving the band their own comic.
    Well, it worked for Josie and the Pussycats...

They could do one about Murdock leading the Hand. Or, and I'm not kidding, the Bodega Bandit's criminal world. But I'd say the similarities are close enough. Maybe closer to Ultimate, as others have said. If anything, I imagine they'd introduce them in Spider-Gwen before spinning them off into their own titles.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i might be off base, but it looks like longevity is important on iconic titles, but everything else is made to shine bright and then die. that would include pumping as much related product out of spin offs as can be in a short time. if the titles somehow garner a long term readership- fantastic. but if they don’t, the short term sales surge from a new series is still good for the books.
    This would be the Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Books strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Well, it worked for Josie and the Pussycats...

They could do one about Murdock leading the Hand. Or, and I'm not kidding, the Bodega Bandit's criminal world. But I'd say the similarities are close enough. Maybe closer to Ultimate, as others have said. If anything, I imagine they'd introduce them in Spider-Gwen before spinning them off into their own titles.
    I dunno. I understand the desire to compare this possibility to the launches of the MC2 and/or the Ultimate line, but I'm not sure it's valid. The Ultimate line was initially about introducing classic characters into the modern era; MC2 was focused on giving a glimpse at the next generation of Marvel heroes - both of these lines had a basic guiding principle. Spider-Gwen, though, is solely a reversal of fate regarding two beloved characters; we get Gwen as the hero rather than the victim, with Peter fulfilling the role of tragic figure. Nothing else that we've seen in the book so far really follows that same principle, y'know? So what would be the guiding principle of a line of books set in this universe other than "things are different"?

More importantly, could any spinoffs achieve the aesthetics that have made this book/character so popular?

-Pav, who liked best when Josie and the Pussycats were in outer space...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details