Page 326 of 613 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 9194

Can we all at least agree that that Rob Liefield cover is horrendous?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Can we all at least agree that that Rob Liefield cover is horrendous?
    The cover is an underrated masterpiece. /kidding

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

By Liefeld standards it's not bad at all. Nice coloring to help. I remember he did some guest art many years ago and it wasn't as smooth, granted it was interior.

Vordan, Morrison hasn't had a huge list of interviews detailing his experiences with past stories though, and of whatever is out there I haven't seen anything yet that's accurate to saying he was out and out ridiculing a decent chunk of his own story engine. Like anyone he has strong opinions but I can't count a huge list of knocks vs playful jabs. I think he's actually a good example of showcasing how hard the new enemy creative process has to be, because his run was so short and though two of them remain popular, other creators seem reluctant to try running with them. That's kind of a drawback.

I know you're not fond of Zaar, but again not being to pick him from a line up with Lcall and Hel is the other side of that. I don't dislike him myself but he's a pastiche.

And as for Doomsday, if he was the worst part of BvS I think that movie would rate higher. I remember eisenberg for one getting a Razzie nomination. And that first Doomsday ova didn't land so well either, so they made one more faithful to the comics if still rather new.

Sorry for the tangent. It's just that while I happen to like reboots and radical new directions, the moment something that came before is dumped on I think the whole thing goes a step back.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The cover is an underrated masterpiece. /kidding
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    By Liefeld standards it's not bad at all. Nice coloring to help. I remember he did some guest art many years ago and it wasn't as smooth, granted it was interior.
    Honestly it’s not that bad for Liefield. But coming after Hughes run of some amazing covers it is a massive drop.

Liefeld has improved over the years, this cover is basically standard for him now.

Thought occurred to me. Could this arc in Superman be kind of a backdoor pilot for a Superboy “Lost in Space” series. I’m sure they are going to hit the high points of his story out there, but 7 years is a lot of time in comic book time. That’s more than enough time to base a huge series on.

Could that be a Wonder Comics phase 2 book? It sounds like a hell of a concept and would definitely fill a Superson’s size void in DC’s output.

Vordan, Morrison hasn't had a huge list of interviews detailing his experiences with past stories though, and of whatever is out there I haven't seen anything yet that's accurate to saying he was out and out ridiculing a decent chunk of his own story engine. Like anyone he has strong opinions but I can't count a huge list of knocks vs playful jabs. I think he's actually a good example of showcasing how hard the new enemy creative process has to be, because his run was so short and though two of them remain popular, other creators seem reluctant to try running with them. That's kind of a drawback.
    To be clear that was more my interpretation, but one I have seen shared by others. Morrison was really starting to feel cynical about superheroes and the Big Two. You can see that with how his Batman ended but his Action Comics run has shades of it too. The fact that Superdoomsday came about because a corporation "bought" Superman and then turned him into a focus-tested monster "ruining" him is pretty clearly (imo) Morrison taking shots at WB/DC's handling of the character. I'm not really sure how else it's meant to be interpreted. That whole run has a theme of endless cycles which also takes aim at the nature of Big 2 work.

I know you're not fond of Zaar, but again not being to pick him from a line up with Lcall and Hel is the other side of that. I don't dislike him myself but he's a pastiche.

And as for Doomsday, if he was the worst part of BvS I think that movie would rate higher. I remember eisenberg for one getting a Razzie nomination. And that first Doomsday ova didn't land so well either, so they made one more faithful to the comics if still rather new.
    A well deserved nomination imo since Eisenberg was utterly terrible. But I didn't say Doomsday was all that was wrong with that movie rather, commenting that while yes Doomsday has appeared in a lot of movies recently he hasn't by any stretch of imagination been beloved. And why would he? He's just a mindless space ogre who exists to kill Supes. Death of Superman was at its strongest imo when it showed Supes saving civilians and showing the reactions of everyone to Supes death. You could swap Doomsday with Metallo and as long as Supes died the effect would be the same imo.

Sorry for the tangent. It's just that while I happen to like reboots and radical new directions, the moment something that came before is dumped on I think the whole thing goes a step back.
    No worries. I understand you POV.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Thought occurred to me. Could this arc in Superman be kind of a backdoor pilot for a Superboy “Lost in Space” series. I’m sure they are going to hit the high points of his story out there, but 7 years is a lot of time in comic book time. That’s more than enough time to base a huge series on.

Could that be a Wonder Comics phase 2 book? It sounds like a hell of a concept and would definitely fill a Superson’s size void in DC’s output.
    Been thinking about this as a possibility since the moment I heard that his time up there was years. That's fertile as hell ground for a comic, and the cool thing is, if Bendis wants to be really cute about it and the likely chance that Jon is now going by Superman-something is fact, he could do a refresh of this cover for issue #1.......

"hey Jon, what was it like growing up in space?" "If that's what you'd like to know, look inside!" Perfection.

Cause I'd be down right gobsmacked if Bendis and Wonder Comics don't make use of Jon and those years clearly set up for sustained story. The duration of time alone allows for set up that runs itself and works the same appeal as Clark as a boy. Yes, obviously you know that this giant monster doesn't kill him in this issue because Clark is obviously Superman in the books your reading alongside this, but you enjoy the journey and the milestones anyway.

And, hey, look, kid Jon would effectively have a solo. I'd be all for this while we have teen running his new status quo in the present (or future ) The story of a young intergalactic prince, that's also Superboy, having adventures in space sounds like a great book to me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

How is Jon living with Jor el, going to make it any good a series. Unless, they are going to or want to delve into "grandpa is crazy" element. You know, go a little dark.
    But, am i wrong isn't wonder comics marketed towards young adults?wouldn't it be not cool for them.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    How is Jon living with Jor el, going to make it any good a series. Unless, they are going to or want to delve into "grandpa is crazy" element.
    In the latest interview Bendis strongly implies, if not flat out says, that Jon gets away from Jor-El fairly early on when he says "he really had to do it on his own." So, that doesn't really need to be an issue.

But, am i wrong isn't wonder comics marketed towards young adults?wouldn't it be not cool for them.
    A coming of age story fits the young adult market. See Harry Potter. Those kids were like 12 when it started. Theoretically they could start the book when Jon is like 13 then move from there.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-18-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Only thing is you'd have to get a strong reoccurring cast with him to make it s book that could work. And if Jon is on the run from Jor-el then he can't have a reoccurring cast of supporting characters.

Also if he did he wouldn't say he had to do it on his own. We would have gotten clues of allies to get him back to earth, much like Chris's girlfriend.

If anything, we may see a return of Supersons but with an added character or two. Given what King is doing and With Teen Titans, would not surprise me if we got an age jump for Damian in the near future to put them closer in age and put them as a team again.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Only thing is you'd have to get a strong reoccurring cast with him to make it s book that could work. And if Jon is on the run from Jor-el then he can't have a reoccurring cast of supporting characters.

Also if he did he wouldn't say he had to do it on his own. We would have gotten clues of allies to get him back to earth, much like Chris's girlfriend.

If anything, we may see a return of Supersons but with an added character or two. Given what King is doing and With Teen Titans, would not surprise me if we got an age jump for Damian in the near future to put them closer in age and put them as a team again.
    They could have kathy back. Since she is an alien. There possibility of using boyzarro. And maybe use one of the alien villain kids.Also, i heard tomasi was going to introduce a teen lantern. So there is that for support cast for a solo series.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-18-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    We don't actually know he's running from Jor-El. We don't actually know what happened to Jor-El in fact. A reoccurring cast isn't that big an issue when you have all of space, possibly the multiverse, and near 7 years to play with. Outside of what's outlined in the coming 3 issues, it's a blank page to work with.

Also if he did he wouldn't say he had to do it on his own. We would have gotten clues of allies to get him back to earth
    I don't know about you, but I doubt very much that Bendis means that Jon interacted with literally no one for nearly 7 years.

If anything, we may see a return of Supersons
    I have literally no reason to say this isn't possible, but what I was discussing is the prospect of a solo given the set up we know so far.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-18-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Jon says he got the first “hint” Jor El wasn’t right right when Lois left. Implying he didn’t immediately go off the rails completely and he describes their ship getting sucked into a black hole or something. So there could be a solid chunk of time where you have 11 year old Jon with Jor El as a slightly off mentor trying to get home together. We also know Jor El seems enthusiastic about getting them involved in events that they can right wrongs, etc. So you have a good chunk of time to tell stories about a young Jon and Jor El trying to get home and being like the traveling cowboys or samauri showing up, helping out and moving on.

Things eventually take a turn with Jor El, an event we’ll probably see in the next couple of issues and Jon strikes out on his own. You can build a recurring cast of characters to help him, travel with him, and interact with him pretty easily in that scenario. I mean you could probably have him literally staying on a planet or something for arcs at a time. Building relationships etc. he can pick up other characters who can travel with him, he can have relationships, fall in love, maybe weigh just staying where he is, etc. You could even build in Lois and Clark as supporting characters. Either as Jon’s mental guidance via flashback like Bendis is doing in Superman already or have Jon create them using Jor El’s holographic ship system he already talked about.

This is all really solid material for a young adult set series. And they can keep young Jon 11 for as long as they want. We’re going to see probably some of the milestone events, but they will probably barely be able to touch on them. So they certainly could retell these stories in greater detail. I’d be shocked if this isn’t being considered.

or have Jon create them using Jor El’s holographic ship system he already talked about.
    I just realized that the AI Jor-El talks about is a pretty direct nod to the Donner films and its creation of the Jor-El and Lara AIs in the Fortress that educated Clark for years before he became Superman, and then provided emotional support/ guidance for things like him wanting to give it all up to be with Lois. So, if that's the likely nod given these are called "cabins of solitude" by Jor-El himself, it seems quite likely that Jon could program it to be his mom and dad.

I’d be shocked if this isn’t being considered.
    I mean, for at least a mini or maxi series, right?