Page 99 of 105 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Continuity matters in film and TV for the vast majority of the audience. Comic book readers, not so much.
    I think each of these statements would be difficult to validate. Anecdotal evidence, which proves nothing of course, would suggest to me that the reverse is actually more likely to be true.

Due to recasting film franchises usually make it very clear when it's a sequel, prequel, reboot, or remake of a film and the fact they do make that clear instead of having a just roll with it attitude tells me they know the audience cares about continuity on some level. Most people are willing to forgive small hiccups in continuity before losing interest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Due to recasting film franchises usually make it very clear when it's a sequel, prequel, reboot, or remake of a film and the fact they do make that clear instead of having a just roll with it attitude tells me they know the audience cares about continuity on some level. Most people are willing to forgive small hiccups in continuity before losing interest.
    Plus the belabored steps films take to make it seem like continuity is maintained also supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The ending is literally the same as X2. She saves her family and forms into psychic energy shaped like a Phoenix. I don’t think it needs much explaining.
    Then why is she alive, well, and not Phoenix in the future sequences of Days of Future Past, set after Dark Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    MCU fanboys and nerds are going crazy over this "box office demise", but they cannot rewrite history. Poor guys.
    I'm a both, actually. Was sorry that the Fox series is ending and that Dark Phoenix bombed, but I do think the series overall has more then its share of flaws.

X1
    X2
    First Class
    DOFP
    Logan
    Deadpool

... are all regarded as masterpieces of their genre (superhero). And they were big hits.
    My understanding is that X1 is regarded as being historically important, but with differing opinions on how well it has or has not aged. I've certainly seen more then a few "X2 is not as good as it's reputation" think pieces, and, while I like the movie, I think they're probably right. First Class I thought was strictly in the middle of the series (certainly not bad and good, but not what they hype over it was), so maybe? I think the last three are too new to judge, esp. since Logan and Deadpool had a popularity boost from being different then the norm, which raises the question how we'll look back on them when the novelty is gone. (For the record, Logan and Days of Future Past are two of my most favorite superhero movies.)

The Wolverine
    Deadpool 2

... are loved. And they were big hits.
    Okay?

Heck, even some out there realize that "Apocalypse" was a great movie. "The Last Stand" was a great movie. Both the movies were HUGE hits globally.
    I like Apocalypse, but I think some of the criticisms are valid, esp. in the writing and narrative focus; it can't decide if the old or new guard are the main characters and I think Apocalypse is a pretty two dimensional villain, compared to both the best of the series in the past and for the standards of superhero villains in general at the time the the movie was made.

Sorry, but I can't back you up on X3; I'll watch it when seeing the others and be able to enjoy myself, but it is an objectively bad movie. You want an example, start with how the Dark Phoenix and Cure storylines are mashed together in the same film despite having nothing to do with each other and not connecting at all over the course of the runtime (Jean going with Magneto doesn't count, since she does nothing for the Cure story, where all his motivations are placed).
    Last edited by WebLurker; 06-23-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Right now there isn't a clue on how the Bryan Singer deal will shake out. (even I don't know if he's did it...2 prior claims was false as a guy admitted he lied years ago)

But we have to give Singer his due here. Fox wanted to cut the Magneto scene of the Nazi's and Singer stood his ground over it. Honestly my favorite scene of X-Men (2000) was this one.

Even though as we saw Dark Phoenix basically changes everything of this timeline . Leaving Charles and Erik as friends living together in Genosha at the end.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Ended up having a good time with Dark Phoenix, but I had low expections going in.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Then why is she alive, well, and not Phoenix in the future sequences of Days of Future Past, set after Dark Phoenix?
    In X3 she reverted back to her human form. I think it’s safe to say that happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    In X3 she reverted back to her human form. I think it’s safe to say that happened again.
    Maybe? She was still at Phoenix power, though.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Apocalypse was a huge success for the X-Men standards, like it or not:

X-Men: Apocalypse grossed $155.4 million in the U.S. and Canada and $388.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $543.9 million against a budget of $178 million.[4] The film is the fourth-highest-grossing film in the X-Men series (without adjusting for inflation), behind Deadpool, Logan, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.[98] It made 27% less than Days of Future Past.[99]
    When a sequel makes almost 200mil less than the previous movie it is not a huge hit. It did ok but that big a drop is not a real success and showed there were major problems with the franchise. It is especially bad when DoFP was so well received the sequel should have made at least as much if not more. Apocalypse dropped the ball on every level.

BANNED

I don't agree about your criticism at all.
    "Apocalypse" was a brilliant superhero movie with a "cronenbergesque" feel. En Sabah Nur was mysterious, menacing and amazing as villain. The entire movie had a strong sci-fi flavour but, at the very same time, it was comic bookish (in the right way). I loved the story-arc. This is the TRUE X-Men origin movie. An epic journey.

BANNED

Only a couple million this weekend. It has no chance to even hit 75M.

"Apocalypse" was a brilliant superhero movie with a "cronenbergesque" feel.
    You've never watched a Cronenberg movie in your life, have you?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

As much as I'd love to see McKellen return as an older Magneto in the Marvel Universe X-Men ; I do think they should just get McAvoy and Fassbender as the 2 . Since really you can say both men really did a solid job through 4 films we saw. They really Xavier and Magneto and they can fit right in perfect. You can recast everyone else. But those 2 are the ones you should keep.

I would love to see a slow introduction though. You don't have to throw every X-Men character into a film but build to introducing them. (Part of me hopes that Marvel uses the Uncanny X-Men as the movie name)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You've never watched a Cronenberg movie in your life, have you?
    Even with as bad as it was Fan4stick was more Cronenberg than Apocalypse.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Just realized they foreshadowed Mystique’s death in Apocalypse.