Page 35 of 136 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    To be fair, it's not like CBS All Access has anything else going on. Plus It's streaming on CBS All Access, it's not like they have much going on. So it's a perfect storm of lowered expectations.
    Streaming on CBS All Access, but also on Netflix outside of the US and Canada. Even if CBS All Access had more going for it, Netflix's own investment in it would have a say towards whether or not CBS should move forward.*

(I should note, though, that since Picard is carried by Amazon Prime rather than Netflix in the rest of the globe, and Prime has more original material than All Access. I'd be curious about Amazon's thoughts in Picard's numbers)

*Also, I really don't want to defend All Access anyway. I still think that whole service, and then absorbing Trek as part of it, is a big mistake

So very true, but usually that affinity or fondness for something in retrospect only happens once something worse comes along. Notice that the fondness for Voyager didn't kick in until Discovery showed up. With so many Trek shows set to be made I'm sure something worse will come along to take Discovery's place. To quote Tilly from the episode of Discovery titled Brother "This is the power of math, people!" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6lclzhJsw
    I don't know about that. Discovery had a better reception than Enterprise, but that hasn't stopped Enterprise from a second opinion among Trekkies. While I'm sure something worse than Discovery will come around just because it's a numbers game, I do feel there's a bit of separation there. As much as more traditional Trekkies didn't like ST09, very few of them said, "I'd like to go back to Insurrection, please."

Astonishing Member

Actually it's an upgraded poison pill. Still dumb, but less dumb than Romulans having the ability to spit acid. Feel free to look into my post history when I go out of my way to call the rest of that stuff out. I even said that the show is becoming Discovery level bad. What else do you want?
    Ok. IIRC not too long ago you were supporting Picard over Discovery, that's why I felt I had to comment on that since it came across as hypocritical. Trek's had dumb, weird things in it from inception.

Didn't you just say they were perfect?
    No.

I loved the latest episode it was great. The episode felt like Star Trek to me rather than Firefly or Star Wars. And that ending, wow. Poor Picard has his work cut out for him now. Star Trek has always been about deep ideas and choosing hope over fear this episode nailed that.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-20-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Streaming on CBS All Access, but also on Netflix outside of the US and Canada. Even if CBS All Access had more going for it, Netflix's own investment in it would have a say towards whether or not CBS should move forward.*

(I should note, though, that since Picard is carried by Amazon Prime rather than Netflix in the rest of the globe, and Prime has more original material than All Access. I'd be curious about Amazon's thoughts in Picard's numbers)

*Also, I really don't want to defend All Access anyway. I still think that whole service, and then absorbing Trek as part of it, is a big mistake

I don't know about that. Discovery had a better reception than Enterprise, but that hasn't stopped Enterprise from a second opinion among Trekkies. While I'm sure something worse than Discovery will come around just because it's a numbers game, I do feel there's a bit of separation there. As much as more traditional Trekkies didn't like ST09, very few of them said, "I'd like to go back to Insurrection, please."
    Both Picard and Discovery are better than Voyager, which was a total snooze half the time and Enterprise only got good around season 3. Some fanboys are acting like Star Trek only bad problems with everything after Star Trek 2009 was released, but do not seem to realize that there was a lack of quality Star Trek after Deep Space 9 went off the air in 1999.

So very true, but usually that affinity or fondness for something in retrospect only happens once something worse comes along. Notice that the fondness for Voyager didn't kick in until Discovery showed up. With so many Trek shows set to be made I'm sure something worse will come along to take Discovery's place. To quote Tilly from the episode of Discovery titled Brother "This is the power of math, people!" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6lclzhJsw
    The funny thing is my opinion on Discovery has shifted more positively since I realized how bad Picard is. Discovery has better characters, at least a few good episodes and offered us some new ideas (I like the idea of the spore network).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The thing that really bothers me about Picard is that they did a "Machines are going to destroy the universe plot just as they did one on Discovery. Some of the scenes, such as visions of planets blowing up, look as if they were copy and pasted from one another.

I find a lot of these man vs machine stories to be incredibly dull and is one reason why I've never been a big science fiction fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The thing that really bothers me about Picard is that they did a "Machines are going to destroy the universe plot just as they did one on Discovery. Some of the scenes, such as visions of planets blowing up, look as if they were copy and pasted from one another.

I find a lot of these man vs machine stories to be incredibly dull and is one reason why I've never been a big science fiction fan.
    Some of the montage clips *were* recycled from Discovery, outright.

Now, Trek in the 90s era has a long history of reusing clips and stock footage from movies and other shows (I will always chuckle and the backwards-bouncing Klingon from Generations and DS9), but in this day and age, with this technology, affordability, and increased production time, it's a cheat. The fact that Picard and Discovery are essentially back-to-back makes it more noticeable, too.

A friend of mine (who has recently started a Youtube Channel) posted his review of the latest episode. He does a better job (more articulate) than I could of explaining why he enjoyed it. -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Some of the montage clips *were* recycled from Discovery, outright.

Now, Trek in the 90s era has a long history of reusing clips and stock footage from movies and other shows (I will always chuckle and the backwards-bouncing Klingon from Generations and DS9), but in this day and age, with this technology, affordability, and increased production time, it's a cheat. The fact that Picard and Discovery are essentially back-to-back makes it more noticeable, too.
    We're they really reused? I don't have a problem with reusing scenes if it's done right (ships, cities) but here I just think it reinforces that the plots between Discovery S2 and Picard are nearly the same.

I still can't believe they recycled the machines are going to destroy the galaxy arc again. Are they completely out of ideas? Discovery was dumb (I have no clue as to why the ai went rogue) and this is a bit more nuanced, but I still find this boring and repetitive.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-22-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Ok. IIRC not too long ago you were supporting Picard over Discovery, that's why I felt I had to comment on that since it came across as hypocritical. Trek's had dumb, weird things in it from inception.
    Were? I still do, but a bad episode is a bad episode and just because i said it was Discovery level bad doesn't mean the series is now worse than Discovery. As for the perfect people complaint, you are right that was someone else.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Just saw the season finale.

They opened one of those giant portals but in space as opposed to the sky.
    Seven said that she is going to stop killing so many people...baby steps.
    Legolas is still useless.
    Jurati...is still a murderer but everyone seems to be cool with it.
    Soji tried to summon a Reaper but no one seems to mind.
    Rios..is still smoking
    Raffi..is magically off drugs and is being paired off with....Seven?

PICARD IS DEAD! The current Picard we have now is just a recreation of the one that died! Given how some people feel about this show and Trek in general right now that is dangerously meta.

Riker is the only character that was...well...in character

Still better than Discovery. Hopefully we are done with the Android stuff and can move on to the plight of the poor holograms.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-26-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Patrick Stewart characters certainly jump from body to body a lot. Kind of happened way back in LIFEFORCE too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Patrick Stewart characters certainly jump from body to body a lot. Kind of happened way back in LIFEFORCE too.
    There was no jump. Picard died. They just scanned his brain patterns before he died and created a duplicate. The Picard that we started the series with is dead.

I literally forgot this show was still playing, even though I bought CBS all access just to watch it. Time to end that subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I literally forgot this show was still playing, even though I bought CBS all access just to watch it. Time to end that subscription.
    You can't quit now, Discovery is about to start, and no one can leave their house. It's the perfect storm!