Default How Best To Follow The Main Story, Centred On Hickman, In Collected Editions?

When HOXPOX was announced, I was giddy. Jonathon Hickman is my favourite writer, bar none. Now he just has to tick off the JSA to have worked on all my favourite franchises. I bought all the HOXPOX issues, and the first 15 or so issues of every X-title that launched as a result of it. Due to separate things going on in life, I found myself without time for reading monthly comics, and decided to halt the monthly grind. At this stage I had already bought the HOXPOX Hardcover. That's not unusual for me, I collected omnibus and Deluxe hardcovers, it's my preferred manner of reading.

Fast forward to now, I've read the hardcover of HOXPOX finally (ifl felt I should seeing as my online retailer finally got the House Of X Marvel Legends wave in for me) and it sent me into that all-too familiar feeling of bliss, intrigue and oxytocin one gets from Hickman's writing. Unfortunately, I'm now not quite sure where to proceed from here. I don't care about the secondary characters off doing sidestories, I want the meat and potatoes, the stuff that matters, and definitely the stuff Hickman does.

I saw he has an omnibus coming out in December. There's my Xmas present to myself. Could someone please be kind enough to help me out here, as I'm totally lost, and don't know what other material I need for it all to make sense. I'd assumed Marvel would just issue it all in a series of omni's, but that doesn't quite appear to be the case, putting the legwork back on the consumer. For instance, X Of Swords HC, do I need that, that kind of thing.

I thank anyone who read this post and truly thank anyone who can answer me and/or provide information/links/whatever on what I need to do, or on how Marvel's planning to handle this.

May you all have cheerful day filled with sunshine.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

For most Hickman stuff, yes absolutely. This run is pretty different, since others are more involved, so it's even slower a burn.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    For most Hickman stuff, yes absolutely. This run is pretty different, since others are more involved, so it's even slower a burn.
    Thanks for the reply, mate. There's a few things I'm worried about. People seemed to feel like the death in X-Force 6 would have massive repercussions later. Do I just trust Marvel that if it does, they'll include it somewhere important?

Do I need the event crossovers like X Of Swords and Hellfire Gala? Or are they going to be skippable affairs?

Again, thank you! It feels so weird being out of touch with the X-books, especially with Hickman writing, but well, here I am! And I'm much happier just having it in HC, preferably omnibus, as I never even look at the singles again.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    When HOXPOX was announced, I was giddy. Jonathon Hickman is my favourite writer, bar none. Now he just has to tick off the JSA to have worked on all my favourite franchises. I bought all the HOXPOX issues, and the first 15 or so issues of every X-title that launched as a result of it. Due to separate things going on in life, I found myself without time for reading monthly comics, and decided to halt the monthly grind. At this stage I had already bought the HOXPOX Hardcover. That's not unusual for me, I collected omnibus and Deluxe hardcovers, it's my preferred manner of reading.

Fast forward to now, I've read the hardcover of HOXPOX finally (ifl felt I should seeing as my online retailer finally got the House Of X Marvel Legends wave in for me) and it sent me into that all-too familiar feeling of bliss, intrigue and oxytocin one gets from Hickman's writing. Unfortunately, I'm now not quite sure where to proceed from here. I don't care about the secondary characters off doing sidestories, I want the meat and potatoes, the stuff that matters, and definitely the stuff Hickman does.

I saw he has an omnibus coming out in December. There's my Xmas present to myself. Could someone please be kind enough to help me out here, as I'm totally lost, and don't know what other material I need for it all to make sense. I'd assumed Marvel would just issue it all in a series of omni's, but that doesn't quite appear to be the case, putting the legwork back on the consumer. For instance, X Of Swords HC, do I need that, that kind of thing.

I thank anyone who read this post and truly thank anyone who can answer me and/or provide information/links/whatever on what I need to do, or on how Marvel's planning to handle this.

May you all have cheerful day filled with sunshine.
    So, if you want to only focus on Hickman; you're in luck!

Later in the year there is a Hickman X-Men Omnibus you can pick up.

Start with HOX/POX, X-Men Omni (read half way), X of Swords, X-Men Omni (read last half), Hellfire Gala Red Carpet Edition, INFERNO

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Jonatha.../dp/1302929984

https://www.amazon.com/X-Swords-Jona...s=books&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Hellfir...s=books&sr=1-1

Thanks for the reply, mate. There's a few things I'm worried about. People seemed to feel like the death in X-Force 6 would have massive repercussions later. Do I just trust Marvel that if it does, they'll include it somewhere important?

Do I need the event crossovers like X Of Swords and Hellfire Gala? Or are they going to be skippable affairs?

Again, thank you! It feels so weird being out of touch with the X-books, especially with Hickman writing, but well, here I am! And I'm much happier just having it in HC, preferably omnibus, as I never even look at the singles again.
    I think you're good with just picking up the omnibus'

You may miss little odds and ends; however, Excalibur is pretty important to understand the full extent of X of Swords so you can pick up the Excalibur HC that collects the first 12 issues

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think you're good with just picking up the omnibus'

You may miss little odds and ends; however, Excalibur is pretty important to understand the full extent of X of Swords so you can pick up the Excalibur HC that collects the first 12 issues
    Alright, so you'd class Excalibur as ESSENTIAL reading.

So I need to add, in addition to owning HOXPOX, and the preorder for Omni 1: X Of Swords, Excalibur 1, Helfire Gala?

That sound right to everyone?

So I need to add, in addition to owning HOXPOX, and the preorder for Omni 1: X Of Swords, Excalibur 1, Helfire Gala?

Yup exactly, I don't want to spoil why it's essential; let's just say it has a lot to do with Otherworld and Apocalypse.

Also sorry I totally forgot about New Mutants by Hickman

https://www.amazon.com/New-Mutants-J...s%2C368&sr=8-1

Hickman's New Mutants directly lead to a 2 issue arc in his X-Men run, so you may want to pick that up too. I really don't know why it was not in the Omnibus

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The hard thing with Hickmans long games is that many times much of the stuff he's setting up is only more clear after the fact. For instance, the early references to Inferno.

I haven't read Excalibur because it is absolutely bad and I still followed the main story. I wouldn't buy it and consider it essential...It would just ruin the reading experience of this great run to read those horrible and pointless Excalibur books.

It depends on what you want from your reading experience. Some titles are great because you find clues everywhere if you like the guessing aspect of it. Others are more moving pawns across the board to set them up.

Excalibur is more of the later category. Pick it up if you like Apocalypse or want to see Betsy tackle the CB legacy. Don't go there looking for a team book. It's a stealth solo. And as always be critical when reading posts.

Astonishing Member

Just read read every odd number page of the even number issues and the even number page of the odd number issues

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yup exactly, I don't want to spoil why it's essential; let's just say it has a lot to do with Otherworld and Apocalypse.

Also sorry I totally forgot about New Mutants by Hickman

https://www.amazon.com/New-Mutants-J...s%2C368&sr=8-1

Hickman's New Mutants directly lead to a 2 issue arc in his X-Men run, so you may want to pick that up too. I really don't know why it was not in the Omnibus
    Ooh thank you! I did enjoy the issue or two I read of New Mutants (like I said, I bought them all but mostly haven't read anything, but I did read an issue or two of NM as the art just jumped at me). Definitely adding that one. And yes, I definitely would have preferred having it in the omni.

Excalibur didn't grab me on the concept, so I may just read the issues I have first, see what I think, based on the differing opinions here.

Thanks everyone for your help, you've been fantastic!

Ooh thank you! I did enjoy the issue or two I read of New Mutants (like I said, I bought them all but mostly haven't read anything, but I did read an issue or two of NM as the art just jumped at me). Definitely adding that one. And yes, I definitely would have preferred having it in the omni.

Excalibur didn't grab me on the concept, so I may just read the issues I have first, see what I think, based on the differing opinions here.

Thanks everyone for your help, you've been fantastic!
    No worries, enjoy!