Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Do movies in all honesty impact single issue sales?

Movies are an obvious way for characters to get exposure, but do those movie seats sell comic books? And if they do, do they mainly sell trades or singles? We saw marvel tried to make Tony their flagship comic hero clearly based on the fact that he's their MCU flagship hero and well he's in a coma now... so do comics honestly see bumps like this for single issues? And if they do see a bump do the sales last or mellow back to were the were a month or two later? Has this happened with previous MCU movies (Thor, iron man, captain America, doctor strange, ant man, guardians,) movies and will this happen with future ones (black panther, captain marvel, inhumans)?

Yes. Deadpool now has like a thousand books, and as far as I know they're selling well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yes. Deadpool now has like a thousand books, and as far as I know they're selling well.
    Hasn't he always had an abundance of series? He's always had an ongoing and a mini, with a new one starting as soon as they other ends and this goes well back before Deadpool corps
    Last edited by Bossace; 01-20-2017 at 01:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I do seem to recall he has had a thousand books since years before the movie. And none of them usually sell very well, which the movie has not changed.

The last movie to really move ongoing books was Burton's first Batman, and that was because it came out before the direct market era, back when you still could get comics everywhere and impulse buys were a real thing.
    Last edited by Carabas; 01-20-2017 at 01:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I do seem to recall he has had a thousand books since years before the movie. And none of them usually sell very well, which the movie has not changed.
    Actually Deadpool is Marvel more profitable franchising. Both its ongoing and its mini series sell very well, in addition it's a juggernaut in TPB, every month at least 10 Deadpool paperbacks charts regularly. No other Marvel character has the same performance. The Merchs for money spin off has not been equally successfull but it's been the exception not the rule. And after the movie its sales have increased.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Movies are an obvious way for characters to get exposure, but do those movie seats sell comic books? And if they do, do they mainly sell trades or singles? We saw marvel tried to make Tony their flagship comic hero clearly based on the fact that he's their MCU flagship hero and well he's in a coma now... so do comics honestly see bumps like this for single issues? And if they do see a bump do the sales last or mellow back to were the were a month or two later? Has this happened with previous MCU movies (Thor, iron man, captain America, doctor strange, ant man, guardians,) movies and will this happen with future ones (black panther, captain marvel, inhumans)?
    In general movies haven't affected sales of comics a lot. Curiosly, what seems, at least in the latest years, to create some buzz and sales it's the announcement of a movie. When GOTG was announced and their Bendis' book released it was an hit and kept selling very well for a long time, even generating spin offs, way above the team historical sales. The same happened with Doctor Strange more recently, and in part for Black Panther, though probably for the latest the choice of the writer was more important to sales than the appearance in movie. Anyway even these books, while successfull, sell like other successfull books and not in the volumes one could expect after the character they feature starred in movies seen by ten of millions of people.

It doesn't really affects the Diamonds figures. At least for already popular characters among comics reader. That audience doesn't have a new and sudden interest for Batman because a movie is getting promoted.
    More obscure characters with a new entry point can have a nice boost.

But I speculate it does make the books sell more with other sales channel (Amazon or Barnes and Nobles for instance), for people who start hearing about those characters but don't want to enter a weird place known as Comics Shop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    It doesn't really affects the Diamonds figures. At least for already popular characters among comics reader. That audience doesn't have a new and sudden interest for Batman because a movie is getting promoted.
    More obscure characters with a new entry point can have a nice boost.

But I speculate it does make the books sell more with other sales channel (Amazon or Barnes and Nobles for instance), for people who start hearing about those characters but don't want to enter a weird place known as Comics Shop.
    That's because the direct market is a bottleneck on sales. Bookstores and trades are a more convenient place for the general audience to check out Deadpool. For that purpose. the monthlies are just fodder for trades.

Moreover, the general public and casual fans pretty much prefer to get one story, all in one place, at once. The monthlies don't do that, the bookstores and Amazons do.

Movies help franchises more than single issues.

GoG and all their solos owe there existence to the movies.

Lang should be eternally grateful.

Captain Marvel is getting pushed so hard because she is the only powered female Marvel Studios has full rights too (sorry wasp)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

They do. Marvel would be stupid not to capitalize off marketing, especially the marketing from other companies that they don't have to pay a dime for (monetarily). I don't think it brings in new fans though. I think much of the readership still comes from within the comic book reading community.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I doubt the movies help with selling individual issues. And if they do, I would think it would boost digital sales more and no one knows those numbers.

I don't have any numbers on this, but i would guess that they help with trade paperback sales. You can get those cheaper on amazon, and i think people enjoy getting a more complete story at once.

I also bet it helps with Unlimited subscribers. The marvel movies got me into superhero comics and I'm on my third year of subscribing to Marvel Unlimited. Individual issues are just too expensive for what you get. So i only buy issues for a series that i enjoy and has small numbers. Like Usagi, Groo, and TMNT.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

In the short term yes, but Marvel editorial finds a way to cock it all up.

Remember when Tony Stark was set to become the flagship character for Marvel? Well, now he's comatose and his parentage to the Starks has been retconned to satisfy the some compulsion by Bendis and Gillen.

Captain America is now Captain HYDRA and Remender made Steve's father an abusive alcoholic.

Banner is dead and even before that, he lost his powers.

Hank Pym is Ultron.

Thor is unworhty and has lost both Mjlonir and his left arm.

Hawkeye is a murderer of one of his fellow Avengers.

Nick Fury is psychopath and a killer.

The Maximoffs are having their parentage retconned again for the Nth time and are still on 2nd tier Avengers books. Also, they are still kept out of cross media exposure, unlike their fellow Avengers. No games (video or board) and no appearances on EMH or Assemble.

Wolverine is dead. Cyclops is dead. The X-Men are undergoing yet again, another mass extinction threat and conflict against another group of Marvel Heroes.

The GOTG are now set on Earth.

Half of the Fantastic Four is still MIA. Doctor Doom is Iron Man.

Etc etc

Honestly, if I was a neophyte fan, I wouldn't know where to start. Just rattling off the things I listed above made me dissy.

I've become Richard Ryder.

Marvel can do all this presumably because the comics don't matter anymore. It's the merchandise and movies that make all the money now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

I've never related to a panel more.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I completely see where Rider is coming from, if I came back to this status quo I'd be wondering if I was in the right Universe LOL.

And think about it. Rich supposedly died in 2010. All of the Champions except Amadeus debuted after that. Miles in 2011, Sam and kid Cyclops in 2012, Kamala in 2014, and Viv in 2016. And while Amadeus debuted in 2005, he was Mastermind Excello originally, only became the Hulk last year. And there are of course more changes beyond that - the FF being gone, Johnny being an Avenger and the entire existence of his Unity Squad team, Tony being out of action, Riri as Ironheart and Doctor Doom as the new Iron Man, the other four time displaced X-Men, the female Thor, the fact there's now four Captain Americas instead of just one.... Richard Rider is almost like Steve Rogers was when he first woke up in Avengers #4 - and yet only seven years have passed for him, and that's meant to only be two years in-universe!