Page 313 of 613 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323363413 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,695 of 9194

Jor-El’s pretty obviously ooc, seeing as Oz effect is ignored. And no I don’t believe they’ll ever address that. Martian Manhunter was ooc as was Flash. And there are quite a few ooc Clark moments like in AC #1004.
    Anyway SK, the Rev was just stating his opinion, do you always dismiss opinions that don’t jell with yours as biased? Did he even mention the Tomasi/Jurgens run?

Master Hero Vladimir

You guys all have valid opinions. It's okay to say what you have to say about Bendis' work. We are all Superman fans here, we just see things differently. As for me, I'm doing my best to support Bendis and enjoy his stories, mostly because he is pushing creative boundaries and trying out new things for Superman and his community. That's what an author is supposed to do, especially for a long-running character like Superman. He is supposed to offer us a new angle to look at these old characters. I don't want the Superman franchise to stay in a middle-of-the-road safe zone and I certainly don't want the franchise to live off nostalgia forever, because that is bound to become stale and predictable. Bendis is trying to get the franchise to evolve because it some aspects, the franchise has to evolve. So far, apart from Rogol Zaar's characterization and Jor-El's sudden return, Bendis hasn't done anything to truly disappoint me, so I'll do my best to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bendis continues with the Kon/Legion hints on his twitter. Thinking it over though I had another thought: what if its not just Conner who's going back, but what if he's hinting an entire arc for Young Justice, where maybe the entire team goes to the future, and this leads into what will become the Legion coming back full-time in the spring? LOSH being part of the Wonder Comics imprint could make a lot of sense. The "Crises have affected everything" plotline could easily segue into the Legion.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

INTERVIEW: Bendis' Young Justice Makes Wonder Comics His Ultimate DC Project: https://www.cbr.com/bendis-young-jus...te-dc-project/

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    INTERVIEW: Bendis' Young Justice Makes Wonder Comics His Ultimate DC Project: https://www.cbr.com/bendis-young-jus...te-dc-project/
    Interesting note there: "’Like, there is a Superman connection between all (Wonder Comics) books that only the audience will know,’ he teased. ‘The characters will never know it.’"
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Very much disagree. Regardless of whether you look at Jon as a supporting character of Clark's or an independent protagonist in his own right, ideally no major (both lead and supporting) character should exist just to serve the story of another character. They should have their own purpose and journeys that make sense within the context of their characters, no one else's. Otherwise, there is no point them. If Bendis killed off Lois, you wouldn't say, "Well, it's fine, because her purpose is to advance Clark's story." If advancing a different character's development is the only reason a writer is giving a character a certain role, then that's crappy development.
    Eh, agree to disagree then.

Supporting characters should have their own development and can stand on their own (at least to a degree), but they're *supporting* characters; meaning they are there to support the protagonist and ultimately their narratives have to bend to that requirement. That's why they're there and why they exist.

They should be treated properly of course, with the respect due them. But they are less important than the protagonist and should be used to advance his/her/its/their story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Agreed. Furthermore I can't help but point out that Jon is no Lois Lane. I mean not even freaking close. Comparing killing her off and its affect to aging up to Jon is just...not comparable. I get the point that was trying to be made but loading it in that way doesn't read as a balanced, completely honest comparison.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Agreed. Furthermore I can't help but point out that Jon is no Lois Lane. I mean not even freaking close. Comparing killing her off and its affect to aging up to Jon is just...not comparable. I get the point that was trying to be made but loading it in that way doesn't read as a balanced, completely honest comparison.
    Yeah, as someone who loves Jon, nobody in Clark's corner contributes as much to his narrative as Lois save the Kents, and considering they're dead half the time, she's the biggest bedrock with which to shake his status quo. Jon, being their son, automatically jumps high in that list and in Clark's mind is absolutely the most important, readers know otherwise.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, agree to disagree then.

Supporting characters should have their own development and can stand on their own (at least to a degree), but they're *supporting* characters; meaning they are there to support the protagonist and ultimately their narratives have to bend to that requirement. That's why they're there and why they exist.

They should be treated properly of course, with the respect due them. But they are less important than the protagonist and should be used to advance his/her/its/their story.
    No, any supporting character who only exists to serve the needs of the protagonist is not, in fact, a character. They are just a function. Jon had his own narrative and his own arc and even his own book. He should not exist solely to serve Clark's story. He is and should be his own character, not a function of Clark's story.

It was an extreme example, but it really doesn't matter, as Lois's importance doesn't take away from my point. Doesn't matter if the character has been around for 3 years or 80. If a character's behavior is solely tailored to serve either the lead or the author's need, then they are not serving that character well. That comparison was not drawn to rank the character's importance to the Superman mythos, but again it doesn't matter. Jon has a fanbase who love that character. To see him be used as simply a device for Clark is frustrating, as well it should be. And that frustration shouldn't be dismissed just because Jon hasn't been around as long as Lois or because Jon could be catagorized as a supporting character.

So yes, the comparison is completely accurate. You screw with a character that people love just to further another character's development, people are going to be understandably annoyed. That's not exactly a radical position.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I haven't and I haven't seen it suggested that a supporting character should be solely tailored to serve the main character. In the sense that they're nothing more than a robot. In fact there's been specific emphasis that that's not what's being suggested. There's a difference between a primary function and a sole function. With that clarified, its indeed my belief that serving the main character is the primary function, and that should be their primary function. Of which does not and indeed should not by its very nature preclude a three-dimensional characterization in its own right. In this particular example, in Super Sons Jon can do his own thing with Damian and things will revolve around them as they're the stars. In Superman and Action though he's going to, and should, primarily serve Superman. And that doesn't automatically mean in my eyes that they're essentially a non-entity with no agency. Just that the very nature of these particular titles is that th point is always going to be to drive forward the stories that Superman is at the center of, as their his books, his stories. I mean, if the idea of serving a function makes a character not a character then no one is a character, not even the stars. As they all serve "functions" to tell a completed tale.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Mighty Member

I haven't and I haven't seen it suggested that a supporting character should be solely tailored to serve the main character. In the sense that they're nothing more than a robot. In fact there's been specific emphasis that that's not what's being suggested. There's a difference between a primary function and a sole function. With that clarified, its indeed my belief that serving the main character is the primary function, and that should be their primary function. Of which does not and indeed should not by its very nature preclude a three-dimensional characterization in its own right. In this particular example, in Super Sons Jon can do his own thing with Damian and things will revolve around them as they're the stars. In Superman and Action though he's going to, and should, primarily serve Superman. And that doesn't automatically mean in my eyes that they're essentially a non-entity with no agency. Just that the very nature of these particular titles is that th point is always going to be to drive forward the stories that Superman is at the center of, as their his books, his stories. I mean, if the idea of serving a function makes a character not a character then no one is a character, not even the stars. As they all serve "functions" to tell a completed tale.
    But aging Jon up in Superman, also has an effect on his existence as a lead in Super Sons. He literally can't do his own thing in Super Sons if Superman is changing his character to suit Superman. That's unsatisfying, letting a character like that have their development be decided simply to serve another character.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I keep saying I'm gonna go back to that, but It's like the got damn Matrix. Once you know, you can't un-know.

Like, I wanna say in this very post that I'm thinking of cutting back, but I damn well I'm livin for that preview for issue 7 and the solicits this month. I have problem lol
    I say this to myself every fraking day. I want to limit myself to just to solicits, and the occasional interview. Cut out all the daily noise and nonsense on Twitter or the like. Just enjoy what I’m reading and stop if I’m not.

Spectacular Member

I think treating characters as the leading characters commodities is one of the things that is slowly killing comics.
    In many other forms of story telling the readers don't have to be primary attached to the main character.
    Comics is loosing out in failing to create fandom for secundary characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    But aging Jon up in Superman, also has an effect on his existence as a lead in Super Sons. He literally can't do his own thing in Super Sons if Superman is changing his character to suit Superman. That's unsatisfying, letting a character like that have their development be decided simply to serve another character.
    That's fair. If they choose not to continue with the set up the maxi has going, then the dynamic will have to change. I get the frustration with that potential eventuality. That said I think there's a solid chance they might continue doing just that. If fans aren't really bothered with the idea of when exactly in the timeline these adventures take place and are fine with just a general "some time before Jon left with Jor-El", I think the current SS could continue as is as long as sales are decent enough.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-10-2019 at 01:03 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The cover for Superman #7 says “missing years” and the solicitation for #9 has Jon and Joe El being throwin into another dimension accidentally. A reasonable guess based on the available evidence is that time moves differently where they were. Relatively is likely out because Lois isn’t years older. That we know of at least. There’s no evidence that Jon aged rapidly or physically had any weird reactions or had any weird growth. Again, that was pure speculation from people based only on a way that Jon could age. It now appears that that is not the case.

And there’s no indication that he’s sick, fragile, etc. Or that Lois has anything to worry about in that regard. The initial weirdness of his powers from the Rebirth run was Manchester Black suppressing them. From what Lois describes to Clark, Jon sounds like he’s coming into his own as a person. That is the bike metaphor. She guided him to the point where he was able to guide himself.

Jor El was surprised Lois could carry Jon. Not that he was an abnormal or one of a kind.

And he’s not a baby boy. He was around 11 or 12. Young sure by conventional standards. But they leave him to fight crime on his own all the time. He has a level of autonomy that’s completely out of synch with your average 11 year old. Most 11 year olds don’t get to fight super villains with a 13 year old.

Exactly she knows likely from years with Clark that there are going to be situations where her presence isn’t going to be ideal and may actually be a detriment. She isn’t going along on Justice League missions or patrolling with him. She does get herself into trouble pretty regularly but it’s not like she goes picking fights with Doomsday or Darkseid.
    As I said if relativity of time is the reason then why hasn't lor zod been affected, superman, batman hasn't been affected when they went to the Injustice league dimension. Bruce is human so aging should have effected him.

Even if that is true. Then, Why was Jon's growth spurt foreshadowed and emphasised in man of steel series. It was treated as abnormal there, atleast i got that vibe. And why was bendis saying things like Jon would be treated like "kid with special needs". Jor el did make pretty big deal of jon's natural birth and his existence. Batman has said, there was something unusual about Jon's genetic makeup.

And what are you talking about? Jon has a curphew. He has to go to bed before 10 and attend school, no exceptions.Definition of a kid. Babby boy is just something lois calls jon to tease him.

It might look like clark gave free reign to jon that is not the case at all. Only times Clark and Lois were not able to track jon, is when he got lost in apocalypse and now in the current run where jon and damian are lost. Even then, in current run much time has not passed for clark or lois to worry. Everthing in jon and damians tree house is regulated. On top of that batman is tracking both of them and their activity.batman is the master of being prepared. The only reason allowed jon to be a hero was because there was no other way. He was kidnapped like 3 times already. He was willing to end jon and damian friendship the minute things went south in the supersons if tomorrow. The only reason, he accepted the friendship is because of how much Damian cares for Jon. Clark had only given Jon breathing space. And clark does not treat him like an adult. Because he is not. A kid who throws tantrums, just because his parents decided to move is not an adult. No matter how you slice it.

And tell me does lois have any way to track jon? If she does her decision is tolerable atleast. From what i remember she has not mentioned it. And clark did not even ask for it. He was pretty chill about it. He has become the definition of a negligent and neglectful father.

That is like saying wally west or nightwing, is not a hero because he is not part of the league anymore. She might not have taken on darkseid but she has taken on the eradicator, furies, aliens, terrorists, intergang, aliens and monsters from apocalypse. This lois lane has been married to superman for atleast 15 year, she has pickedup a thing or two. On top of her father being in the military. She knows how to fight. She has worked as an orace role for superman. She does regularly perform heroics normaly as well. Sure she getting the scoop is part of it, but that is not the whole reason.

Besides she is wearing the superman sheild. For all intents and purposes she is "superwoman" . Power or no power. My Clark would not have let her go, if he did not know she could handle herself.

So yeah, she can't keep up with clark but she does and has done heroic stuff.she is not league member. But, i don't consider league to be gold standard of heroics. They weren't in New52 nor now. If she is skilled enough to hang with the furies and be safe around superman for 15 years. She can handle anything. This is not the first time lois went of planet either. So there are no reasons credible enough for me that explains why lois left jon with out any mean of contact or communication.