Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #13 spoilers (X of Swords part 10)

Just like the other issues from the first half of the event, this is more focused on Apoc's psychological state after the events of Creation and shows him gathering his sword for the main battle.

We see Cecilia, Beast and Healer struggling to keep Apoc contained to his hospital bed as they ask for Polaris' help (and later Magneto) to strap him to it. Due to his severe wounds, Xavier suggests that Hope amplifies Healer's powers to heal him, but the later warns that action could as well kill Apoc. [A] answers that he can handle it, and so it's done.

Apoc then seems suffer from a state of delirium as he recalls the story of Orakka and the initial invasion of Amenth on their lands. As told in issue #12, the tides of the war started to turn after The White Sword was sent with his army to Amenth. Amenth also sent to Earth three demon soldiers, one who wore the mask of Annihilation, which allowed the god to possess his mind. The other soldiers were meant to test Okkara, and were defeated easily by Genesis.

After Isca turned to Amenth, the decision was clear for Genesis. They needed to make a sacrifice, and thus she and her children went to seal the breach between the two worlds. Apocalypse wanted to go with them, but Genesis stopped him, saying he wasn't strong enough.

And so, following Genesis' words, Apocalypse dedicated his life to turn this world into something that could be strong enough to face their enemy.

Later, on present day, Apoc says he's healed... but not whole. He goes to Egypt (accompanied by Gorgon) into the temple of the Horsemen, and destroys it, pissed that he built a grave for people who were alive, but not without getting his sword, the Scarab. We get a data page on it (it was forged by Isca, Genesis' sister!) and also the Grasscutter/Godkiller, confirming that Gorgon will wield the two swords.

-

Good issue. Who knew that Apocalypse would once be pretty much the emotional core of an event? Seeing him cry in Creation and now this issue was v impactful. Genesis seems like a very interesting character so far and the theory that she is wearing the Annihilation mask only grows stronger. Asrar is a great fit for this book as he can draw emotional scenes and beautiful landscapes just as well as the messy fight scenes.

Alexa, play Strong Enough by Cher

Last edited by nandes; 10-21-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Mighty Member

I liked this issue. We learn Apocalypse wasn’t strong enough. Genesis was the strong one. Very interesting to see what was the catalyst for his “survival of the fittest” attitude.

X-MEN [13] : XoS Chapter 10

Apocalypse in the healing gardens. Its hard for them to hold him down. Polaris pins him down for a while but ends up needing assistance from Magneto to hold him down.

Xavier requests that Hope Summers help Healer with Apocalypse. And as he is being healed he starts rambling the story of Okkara: The Land of One. The Twilight Sword from the enemy made it two. And hordes of demons and darkness came for the chasm.

It was a hard battle that wasnt going to well until the White Sword and his 100 Champions entered the battle.

He goes on to discuss Genesis. She was stronger than all of them.

As the enemy numbers started to dwindle they requested a parley with Apoc's side. During this time they bring over a box which has mask of Annihalation. One of the demons puts it on and Annihalation takes over.

Annihalation calls them strong mutants of great quality but that it wants to test them.

Apoc and Genesis arent having it. And Genesis says she will handle Annihalation because Apoc is not strong enough.

Plot twist.

She ends up destroying the demons around Annihalation and demands what the offer which was whispered to her and it made her more determined and stronger it seemed. Until we find out htat Isca, her sister, had switched sides.

It broke Genesis.

But Genesis states that sacrifice is required and that Apoc will leave to find worthy fighters. They will hold the line and seal the breach.

She tells him to judge those who will be worthy of this war. See that only the fittest remain.

Back in the presnet. He is finally healed and he leaves Krakoa to get his sword. (Scarab)

So they have all 10 swords now.

i really like what Hickman is doing with Apocalypse.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hickman, and Tini, have done such a wonderful job with Apocalypse. Really elevating a character that had a lot of potential. Asrar does a beautiful job here.

Asrar's art is gorgeous. I really love that shot of the the Four Horsemen, Apoc, Genesis, and a Summoner.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I loved this issue. It was a great way to reconcile the classic characterization of Apocalypse with the newer approach of [A]. Amazing character work while also establishing intriguing new history that creates a fuller and richer world. Asrar's art is beautiful, I much prefer it to Yu. So Genesis is very likely Annihilation, as many speculated, but now it seems Genesis may have struck a bargain with the god and given herself willingly? Also, Genesis seems to be an earth bender like Rictor, I'm sure certain parties will make something of that.

BANNED

Apocalypse continues to be the biggest surprise of Hickman's run.

He's basically the protagonist of X of Swords, and this issue makes him a tragic hero.

Mighty Member

I do not care for this issue cause it's literally just issue 12, again. And a few Apocalypse moments and the reveal about the mask does not change that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Just like the other issues from the first half of the event, this is more focused on Apoc's psychological state after the events of Creation and shows him gathering his sword for the main battle.

We see Cecilia, Beast and Healer struggling to keep Apoc contained to his hospital bed as they ask for Polaris' help (and later Magneto) to strap him to it. Due to his severe wounds, Xavier suggests that Hope amplifies Healer's powers to heal him, but the later warns that action could as well kill Apoc. [A] answers that he can handle it, and so it's done.

Apoc then seems suffer from a state of delirium as he recalls the story of Orakka and the initial invasion of Amenth on their lands. As told in issue #12, the tides of the war started to turn after The White Sword was sent with his army to Amenth. Amenth also sent to Earth three demon soldiers, one who wore the mask of Annihilation, which allowed the god to possess his mind. The other soldiers were meant to test Okkara, and were defeated easily by Genesis.

After Isca turned to Amenth, the decision was clear for Genesis. They needed to make a sacrifice, and thus she and her children went to seal the breach between the two worlds. Apocalypse wanted to go with them, but Genesis stopped him, saying he's wasn't strong enough.

And so, following Genesis' words, Apocalypse dedicated his life to turn this world into something that could be strong enough to face their enemy.

Later, on present day, Apoc says he's healed... but not whole. He goes to Egypt (accompanied by Gorgon) into the temple of the Horsemen, and destroys it, pissed that he built a grave for people who were alive, but not without getting his sword, the Scarab. We get a data page on it (it was forged by Isca, Genesis' sister!) and also the Grasscutter/Godkiller, confirming that Gorgon will wield the two swords.

-

Good issue. Genesis seems like a very interesting character so far and the theory that she is wearing the Annihilation mask only grows stronger. Asrar is a good fit for this book as he can draw emotional scenes and beautiful landscapes just as well as messy fight scenes.

Alexa, play Strong Enough by Cher

I loved this issue. I think it puts Apoc’s actions in a much better light. Love is a strong motivator. He lost his family so all of his plots and schemes and horsemen were meant as a method to get his family back. Things like that work for me. Like with Magneto, he’s not the “muhahaha” villain, he simply refuses to let another holocaust happen. I like. Great issue.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Asrar's art is gorgeous. I really love that shot of the the Four Horsemen, Apoc, Genesis, and a Summoner.
    That page where they all are walking into the portal with Arrako as well, beautiful art.

Astonishing Member

I personally love that annihilation is not a person ,but an entity that lives in a mask.That is some horror mojo right there.So anyone wearing the mask falls under the control of the being.That is just opening the door further to richer lore of a new most likely unknown entity to fear.

this was really really good. thats all i got. 10/10.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Like if they just replaced the context in which they explored Apocalypse' character. This issue would be infinitely better.

But if I have to see another "The twilight sword of the enemy tore the world asunder, and what was one became two" I'm going to go insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I do not care for this issue cause it's literally just issue 12, again. And a few Apocalypse moments and the reveal about the mask does not change that.
    I have to agree. Nothing that new here, beyond the Genesis backstory and the "survival of the fittest" origin, but I don't think it was presented in a special way.
    Not bad, but the last issue of X-men was much better.

Also, I'm not a fan of Asrar in interiors. His faces look unfinished and his bodys look awkward. The colors looked great, though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I personally love that annihilation is not a person ,but an entity that lives in a mask.That is some horror mojo right there.So anyone wearing the mask falls under the control of the being.That is just opening the door further to richer lore of a new most likely unknown entity to fear.
    Makes me think of Malice in some ways.