Page 493 of 750 FirstFirst ... 393443483489490491492493494495496497503543593 ... LastLast
Results 7,381 to 7,395 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It looks like T'Challa loses his fight with mk unless those panels aren't in order which if that's the case is pretty lame
    I don't think those panels really tell us who won. The NOW scenes are the fight with T'Challa... the other scenes (presumably with Nick Fury) occur earlier.

If he's fighting MK instead of Khonshu, it's a much easier fight (unless he's still got control of Thors hammer... that's potentially a problem).

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    These lists are obviously all subjective. Coates book won an Eisner so clearly some people like it... and others don't. There's no right or wrong answer there.
    Well, you could make an argument that the people that run the Eisners are already predisposed towards liking Coates. I would have been shocked if they didn't give him an award. Winning an Eisner is a lot like winning an Oscar, it's become an award that the public just doesn't care about.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-25-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

World of Wakanda got one

I mean.... come on lol.

Even if someone actually liked the story, anyone that argues it was even well written is kidding themselves. Or that the story was so ground breaking it was worthy of an award. It is a 6 issue mini no one outside this thread remembers exists lol

Those rewards are virtue signaling and pandering. Nothing more, nothing less. No one takes them seriously anymore
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Spectacular Member

I swear, hate to bring this up but it's annoying how people are so quick to wanting to replace tchalla with shuri just because Boseman passed, like I'm sadden by the loss but the show must go on. People bring up the comix like they've read them, even when shuri had the mantle tchalla was still alive and was still active after his stasis, I understand people wanna see a black super heroine on screen but thats not the way to go. Chadwick is being no going to get re-casted whether people like or not don't care if you're a shuri fan you can't gloss over the fact that she's not even really established within the mcu and tchalla has only had one movie as BP. I don't even mess with the mcu anyway but man this shouldn't even be a convo thats why i didn't wanna bring it up in the first place, Goddamn casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    World of Wakanda got one

I mean.... come on lol.

Even if someone actually liked the story, anyone that argues it was even well written is kidding themselves. Or that the story was so ground breaking it was worthy of an award. It is a 6 issue mini no one outside this thread remembers exists lol

Those rewards are virtue signaling and pandering. Nothing more, nothing less. No one takes them seriously anymore
    I mean, weren't they talking about it getting an eisner before it even dropped? I know that the run was getting all this hype and ass patting despite it being a very.. generic and ishtty love story which cringe levels of forced romance. I'll say this, of Ayo was a guy, people wouldn't of glossed over how aggressive she was being with Aneka. The whole thing was just stupid, did nothing to help the mythos, and just made Wakanda out to be.. Isht

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mekk80s View Post
    I swear, hate to bring this up but it's annoying how people are so quick to wanting to replace tchalla with shuri just because Boseman passed, like I'm sadden by the loss but the show must go on. People bring up the comix like they've read them, even when shuri had the mantle tchalla was still alive and was still active after his stasis, I understand people wanna see a black super heroine on screen but thats not the way to go. Chadwick is being no going to get re-casted whether people like or not don't care if you're a shuri fan you can't gloss over the fact that she's not even really established within the mcu and tchalla has only had one movie as BP. I don't even mess with the mcu anyway but man this shouldn't even be a convo thats why i didn't wanna bring it up in the first place, Goddamn casuals.
    I can get the appeal of a Shuri BP. She's not a skilled martial artist, she's not a seasoned politician, no HSH, a new threat on the rise that she's forced to protect the kingdom from, and she's just a teenager. And she's a black girl. That's a superhero-Disney princess movie in the making.

And for her supporters, it's not like there aren't other headlining black men in the MCU. We got a black Captain America as part of a buddy cop D+ show, a solo black male-led D+ show in Nick Fury, a Blade movie in the works.

What they fail to understand is that T'Challa is worth more than all of those put together. There's something special about T'Challa and the mythos he is the face of that resonates more strongly than any of these other properties and that's worth milking as many stories as possible out of before passing it on.

As much as the first BP film went out of its way to showcase Wakanda, it was a deeply personal story focused on T'Challa and that story just begun. Obviously, it's Coogler's choice if he wants to continue that story, but the Shuri movie people are advocating for right now represents the shelving of T'Challa's character for close to, if not more than a decade, never giving it the closure it deserves. I'll come to accept whatever they do, but not recasting seems unnecessary and will severely decrease my interest in the MCU going forward.

Astonishing Member

I mean, weren't they talking about it getting an eisner before it even dropped? I know that the run was getting all this hype and ass patting despite it being a very.. generic and ishtty love story which cringe levels of forced romance. I'll say this, of Ayo was a guy, people wouldn't of glossed over how aggressive she was being with Aneka. The whole thing was just stupid, did nothing to help the mythos, and just made Wakanda out to be.. Isht
    Let's not sugarcoat things, the only reason WoW got an Eisner is because the two leads were non-white lesbians and it wasn't poorly written. It was a slap in the face to the BP mythos but by and large, it was an average love story with decent art and ok writing. If it wasn't approved by Coates and didn't feature the representation that it did no one would've batted an eye.

Astonishing Member

True to an extent with the comic version.... but I'm not really sure he doesn't care about collateral damage in the MCU. You can make an arguement he placed Wakanda and the universe in greater danger by trying to help the Vision to the degree they did. He's a bit nicer than the Priest version of the character.
    He also went out of his way to help Ross even though it could risk Wakanda's security. MCU T'Challa seems to have both moral and strategic disagreements with his ancestors' decision to keep Wakanda isolated, while the 616 version's decision to open up the country was mostly just strategic. (I wouldn't classify the comic version as an "ends justify the means" guy, though.)
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-26-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Eisner award? I think PE summed it it nicely.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I can get the appeal of a Shuri BP. She's not a skilled martial artist, she's not a seasoned politician, no HSH, a new threat on the rise that she's forced to protect the kingdom from, and she's just a teenager. And she's a black girl. That's a superhero-Disney princess movie in the making.

And for her supporters, it's not like there aren't other headlining black men in the MCU. We got a black Captain America as part of a buddy cop D+ show, a solo black male-led D+ show in Nick Fury, a Blade movie in the works.

What they fail to understand is that T'Challa is worth more than all of those put together. There's something special about T'Challa and the mythos he is the face of that resonates more strongly than any of these other properties and that's worth milking as many stories as possible out of before passing it on.

As much as the first BP film went out of its way to showcase Wakanda, it was a deeply personal story focused on T'Challa and that story just begun. Obviously, it's Coogler's choice if he wants to continue that story, but the Shuri movie people are advocating for right now represents the shelving of T'Challa's character for close to, if not more than a decade, never giving it the closure it deserves. I'll come to accept whatever they do, but not recasting seems unnecessary and will severely decrease my interest in the MCU going forward.
    That's basically my point, i'm not against shuri being black panther it's just right now she's not on the radar. It wouldn't make any sense to have Latita's shuri take over when she's barely had any real development and you cant compare MU shuri to the mcu in any case plus Tchallas journey as BP just started. Unlike those people I'm not in a rush or desperate to see a major black super heroine in the mcu that time will come but until then focus on what you got right now. It's either recast or nothing, like we're not doing this we're not going to off one character just to uplift another black or not it's a running gag and it's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Let's not sugarcoat things, the only reason WoW got an Eisner is because the two leads were non-white lesbians and it wasn't poorly written. It was a slap in the face to the BP mythos but by and large, it was an average love story with decent art and ok writing. If it wasn't approved by Coates and didn't feature the representation that it did no one would've batted an eye.
    I'm looking at it as a story on itself and it was ishtty. Utter garbage. It being tired to BP just made it worse is all

Quote Originally Posted by Mekk80s View Post
    That's basically my point, i'm not against shuri being black panther it's just right now she's not on the radar. It wouldn't make any sense to have Latita's shuri take over when she's barely had any real development and you cant compare MU shuri to the mcu in any case plus Tchallas journey as BP just started. Unlike those people I'm not in a rush or desperate to see a major black super heroine in the mcu that time will come but until then focus on what you got right now. It's either recast or nothing, like we're not doing this we're not going to off one character just to uplift another black or not it's a running gag and it's not funny.
    Shuri has enough development to where it's a workable direction for Coogler to go IF he chooses to go there. The fact that she's NOT ready frankly makes it a story worth telling, as it becomes a viable character arc for the character. But again, that's IF Coogler decides he's ready to move on and goes that route. If he feels he still has more BP to tell, then he'll recast and Shuri will just have to wait her turn (assuming of course her turn even comes... it might not).

Basically Coogler can do whatever he wants, and it'll work. Anyone who argues they can't recast Boseman IMO is wrong... but anyone who argues they can't make Letitia BP in the next movie IMO is equally wrong. Coogler has options (beyond even recasting or Letitia), and whatever he does will likely be sucessful. So he's in a difficult position, but not an unworkable one.

But he does have flaws, he is very close to the vest and does things like spy and have contingency plans for heroes. And that's hardly an excuse or take his genius away and give it to his sister.. I mean they have given some credit to his genius with the mention of him designing hos cw habit and the other stuff mentioned above, but there needs to be something 100% clear cut no doubt in your mind, the dude can create an Ironman suit or an atomic bomb of he chose it do so.
    He does have flaws, but they're not big in your face things like Tony's ego/drinking. Thor's arrogance (or depression in Endgame), or Steve being out of step with the modern day and being constantly surprised when he "understands that reference."

Gotta keep in mind, most movie audiences don't think too deep, especially at a MCU film; yeah T'Challa was wrong about Bucky but that's not a "flaw" so much as a very understandable mistake. But there's no big obvious thing you can slap on his character to show that he's not "perfect" like there is with the rest of the Avengers. By comparison, T'Challa looks like the adult in a room full of children.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I *want* to see that raw genius of T'Challa in the films. I feel like a huge chunk of his character is being ignored and as much as I love MCU T'Challa, this bothers me. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU was downplaying it a bit so he doesn't look *too* competent.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Shuri has enough development to where it's a workable direction for Coogler to go IF he chooses to go there. The fact that she's NOT ready frankly makes it a story worth telling, as it becomes a viable character arc for the character. But again, that's IF Coogler decides he's ready to move on and goes that route. If he feels he still has more BP to tell, then he'll recast and Shuri will just have to wait her turn (assuming of course her turn even comes... it might not).

Basically Coogler can do whatever he wants, and it'll work. Anyone who argues they can't recast Boseman IMO is wrong... but anyone who argues they can't make Letitia BP in the next movie IMO is equally wrong. Coogler has options (beyond even recasting or Letitia), and whatever he does will likely be sucessful. So he's in a difficult position, but not an unworkable one.
    This is no argument brodie. Tchalla is still alive within the mcu, even if it is up to coogler trust me thats not how the cookie crumbles. Just because it's his decision doesn't mean he shouldn't be logical and no i don't consider this a "tough situation" like I said before it's either recast or don't even bother and no shuri does not have the development to be the next bp, sure letita can be bp but not until tchalla story is over period. This isn't up for debate like at all, everyone is aware of Chadwicks passing but if you know how hollywood works then its the next man up and Chadwick (god rest his soul) is not the end all be all. Idk why anyone would be cool with shuri taking the mantle out of nowhere, just because Boseman is gone doesn't mean tchalla is. With that logic the Lakers should've canceled theyre season because of kobe but that's not how it goes. Emotions and feelings are no match for logic, shuri will have her shot WHEN ITS TIME until then if i were coogler i'd just recast. Got until 2022 so thats enough time to get past this grieving process. Let's not be in favor of killing off a character just to uplift a side character, thats a no no plus if i were to bring the comics into the fold Shuri as BP didn't do so well, I'm just super sayin B

Ultimate Member

Yes they were talking about it before it came out.

It was among Amazon's top 100 Super Hero trades the MOMENT it was open for pre-orders.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300570238.html

These were the judges that year.

Alexander Simmons was the only comic book writer on panel.

Best Limited Series

Black Panther: World of Wakanda, by Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Alitha E. Martinez (Marvel)

Extremity, by Daniel Warren Johnson (Image/Skybound)

The Flintstones, by Mark Russell, Steve Pugh, Rick Leonardi, and Scott Hanna (DC)

Mister Miracle, by Tom King and Mitch Gerads (DC)

X-Men: Grand Design, by Ed Piskor (Marvel)
    They were the only POC.

Daniel Warren Johnson I know him more for Murder Falcon
    I read parts of the Flintstones
    I could not get past issue 1 with BP WOW.
    You could not have read that book and said it was good.

I would have gave it to Johnson to help his career.