Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

klaue´s missing arm cgi during into interrogation was horrible for such a big budget movie

the female elite guards battlecry was "wakanda über alles" in the german version. what was it in english?
    that made me think of wakanda as the mirror of white superimacists power fantasies. like the moon nazis from iron sky.
    even mr. all good captain america mirrors the nazi-übermensch (SuperSoldier...). weird doppelgänger stuff never seems to get old
    Last edited by abulafia; 02-22-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I have yet to re-watch Civil War (or Age of Ultron), but does the stuff that we learn about T'Chaka and Wakanda there make sense in light of what we find out about the country here?

We may've seen T'Chaka die in another movie, but Black Panther works as a great stand alone film. Much better than any follow the formula origin stories, and T'Challa was just one of the many interesting characters. M'Baku surprised me the most, but Shuri and Nakia quickly became my favorites as well.

Loved Killmonger. Although it would've been nice to see him reform at the end and live to advise T'Challa, he pretty much had to die. I mean, from the moment he killed Zuri, there wasn't any coming back from that. Also, his last lines were powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Ulysses was played by Andy Serkis the master of Mo Cap maybe someday he'll return in his pure sound version.
    That's one of the thoughts I had when they killed him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    But ... I'm concerned at the mixed messages as well. One could argue that Wakanda really only prospered as much as it did precisely because it built a "wall" and was isolationist, ala Trump's vision of America. How would it have been different had they shared the Vibranium with the world from the get go? Like the Middle East, I presume, with everyone fighting for those resources.

Moving forward, will they truly embrace the vision of Nakia and T'Challa - that they are strong enough to defend their borders while still aiding the world and taking in refugees?
    Good point. I can already see one of the problems in Black Panther 2. Wakanda ends up over-extending itself and they have to deny aid and resources to some countries because they are helping others. This causes even more disagreements and fighting, and T'Challa has to wonder if his ancestors were right the whole time and that Wakanda can only provide for itself and inviting other people in only brings their problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    CGI is a common complaint but what exactly about the plot was muddled for you? It becomes a little predictable in the last act but the plot is one of the things getting thee most praise.
    Really? The plot didn't seem like all that to me it was ok but very basic with nothing really new init didn't seem like they put that much into it in my opinion. As for the muddled part for me was the villains plan it seemed more complicated than it needed to be kinda like in skyfall.
    Last edited by choptop; 02-22-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I saw it yesterday.It was quite good.I loved the easter eggs and the influences from Christopher Priest run. Killmonger is my favorite MCU villain.He has a compination of tragic backstory,noble ideas(with very flawed execution)and a great plan to overthrow T'Challa.Shuri was fun as Q/Lucius Fox to Bond/Batman of T'Challa,although i hope in later movies will see a bit of T'Challa's scientific genius.M'Baku was probably the biggest surprise,because he was excellent and that tells a lot,cause i was never a fan of his character or design in comics.

While his death served the plot,i feel that Klaw's death was a waste.Sherkins had so much fun with the role and i could love seeing them keeping Klaw around,sort of like Scarecrow in Nolan's Batman films.

I think it's my fourth favorite MCU film with Winter Soldier being the top and Thor 1 with Iron Man 1 filling the second and third spot.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

BANNED

my favorite so far (outside the movie) has been the cultural reaction

teachers are developing curriculum to explain colonialism with this

kids are still going on field trips to see it

and then you have the angry mayonnaise jars trying to downplay all of that

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    my favorite so far (outside the movie) has been the cultural reaction
    My favorite is gauging the republic reaction to the movie. It's the definition of unintentional comedy.

My favorite line in the whole damn thing and you know, probably the character with most of the impetus next to only Zemo's picture on the news was Sterling K. Brown's character. I don't watch his network TV work although he was GREAT in The People Vs. OJ., man, dude is an excellent actor. When Erik drinks and goes back to the Oakland apartment and he says to his son "What have I done." I've thought about that line most.

Also I feel like having only seen it once it feels like I'm still on the outside looking in. I may not get to prop up that 2nd week number but I mos def will likely in the 3rd week.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I wonder what the impressions of viewers in African countries are.It's great having such an amazing superhero from such a tormented continent.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I wonder what the impressions of viewers in African countries are.It's great having such an amazing superhero from such a tormented continent.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/58784...rican-theaters
    You bet yer ass.

Nice.Thanks for the feedback.

It's sad that in my country,the movie didn't do great.In the theater,we were 9 people watching the film and only me and other 3 were there at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    sounds kinda racist to me. why not make it better for all poor people of the world? poverty is everywhere around the world
    If you want to really look at it in simple terms - it is kind of an analog of Malcolm X/MLK (like Magneto/Xavier are).

One is more concerned with his own...the other is looking bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Really? The plot didn't seem like all that to me it was ok but very basic with nothing really new init didn't seem like they put that much into it in my opinion. As for the muddled part for me was the villains plan it seemed more complicated than it needed to be kinda like in skyfall.
    His plan was pretty simple imo. Get into Wakanda,Take over wakanda, Arm the War dogs spys all over the world with Wakanda tech so they can lead the opressed in uprsisings all over the world. Iono how that coulda been simplified. It would be way more complicated for Wakanda to just declare war on the world. Killmonger way Wakanda could Seize power all over the world before the world knew Wakanda even existsed.
    I will admitt i dont know why Killmonger didnt kill Klaw in theyee first scene together. I think maybe he didnt have the coordinates yet but i dont remember so i wont speak with any certainity. Ima see it a third time this weekend and hopefuly my shitty memory takes it all in.
    The themes the plot plays with are where all the juicy meats at imo. Though the acting is up there with it

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I will admitt i dont know why Killmonger didnt kill Klaw in theyee first scene together. I think maybe he didnt have the coordinates yet but i dont remember so i wont speak with any certainity. Ima see it a third time this weekend and hopefuly my shitty memory takes it all in.
    I think it was that. Even if he didn't he needed a way right? Or per the notes in the journal stashed behind his fathers PE poster. He'd have used Klaw to get into Wakanda and then murk him then? It worked that he used him as a chip for entrance via W'Kabi
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    sounds kinda racist to me. why not make it better for all poor people of the world? poverty is everywhere around the world
    Poverty is all around the world, but, and I say this as a non-black person, a lot of oppressive social practices and policies were from white colonial powers inflicted upon black nations, hence the major point about Wakanda never being colonized.

Of course, there are indigenous, Latino, and Asian people suffering in poverty, but global black oppression is the most widespread (where even Latin and Asian countries shame darker skinned brethren and distance themselves from black people in their own countries -- see Brazilian treatment of Afro-Latinos, and skin whitening ads in the Philippines, for example), and therefore the most practiced and refined. So, liberating black people from oppression would mean tools and knowledge to liberate other peoples as well.

And then, of course, T'Challa's answer to that was inspired by both Nakia and Killmonger -- spread Wakandan technology to the entire global community, thereby circumventing that.

speaking to the plot becoming predictable...I did think it was very anticlimactic. I loved the movie...they did a lot right. But just seemed like it was all the sudden over. I thought there would be more to it than the last fight on the train tracks. And then BP just all the sudden takes him down with a quick/slick move. After Killmonger whupped his ass in the challenge. I thought they would have had him figure out some way to beat him based on the previous fight maybe. I dunno. It was clever how he got the suits to deactivate on the tracks, but then that puts them on equal footing, with no technology, and we saw that on equal footing (in the challenge), Killmonger was the better fighter.