Page 126 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2163
    BANNED

BANNED

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    *Nods head in approval*
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I'm sorry for keep repeating this, but I'm going to say it again: I'm SUPER SUPER excited that John's getting a solo on the MAIN title!!! DC is definitely on my good side right now. I'm glad that our voices were loud enough to be heard.
    This.

I'm "over here" looking for an avenue to pre order whatever he is in lol
    Don't complain. Create.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I hereby DEMAND more neck scarves for John moving forward!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I hereby DEMAND more neck scarves for John moving forward!
    If you live near a beach town, they're still in:

Extraordinary Member

Damn shame the setting for John's literal introduction is not outdated. The origin for Iron Man has to be updated every decade, or so.

On the other hand, John has been penciled by some iconic artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Damn shame the setting for John's literal introduction is not outdated. The origin for Iron Man has to be updated every decade, or so.

On the other hand, John has been penciled by some iconic artists.
    Yea, he needs a new definitive origin for sure.

Great artists, indeed

Extraordinary Member

What I meant is that John's literal first page is sadly still relevant in 2020. The only thing dated is the dialogue, and clothing, lol.

One of those guys playing dominoes could have easily been Eric Garner.

The Vietnam origin for Tony Stark has longed been retconned out.

To go from really humble beginnings to serving his country, becoming an architect, and later a cosmic champion is really inspiring, to me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'd rather keep John human and the less "chosen one" crap, the better. John should be great by the strength of his character, not some prophecy or genetic engineering. When we get thousands of Kryptonians, we see just why Clark is special and it's not that Rao's chosen, but because of who he is.

John--and all the Lanterns-- don't need to be a chosen one or Emerald sight or a tattoo ring. They just need to be interesting people with mastery over their ring. I like that the ring is essentially a uniform they can take off and be like anyone else. It adds to the scope of the things they encounter.
    Chosen one -type plots are NOT crap....esp when countless religions use them for their fantastical fictions.

It's the execution in the script/writing that determines whether it's "crap" or not.

Characters that share a VERY TIGHT corner alongside a multitude of other characters with the exact same powerset.....requires much more distinction beyond just mastery of same powerset shared by almost 10 others otherwise they will all just blur into each other.

Such characters need more uniqueness within their world/universe to their story beyond the superficial like being the ***first*** human guardian is a superb distinction beyond just being a black guy.

We also need to know more about his family(if he has one)...his love life with Vixen (ahem...shameless plug)...how he reconciles his architectural and military past....which one came first and why did he switch to the other?.... Is he really the brother to BLs wife?... Get to see him use both skills combined in his GL activities NOT only switching back n forth....what about he interactions with the other Lantern corps etc.
    Last edited by Besouro; 12-10-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Chosen one -type plots are NOT crap....esp when countless religions use them for their fantastical fictions.

It's the execution in the script/writing that determines whether it's "crap" or not.
    No doubt that many great Chosen One stories have been told, but the trope has been overused recently, so it might be smarter to try something else unless the story is absolutely stellar.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

Characters that share a VERY TIGHT corner alongside a multitude of other characters with the exact same powerset.....requires much more distinction beyond just mastery of same powerset shared by almost 10 others otherwise they will all just blur into each other.

Such characters need more uniqueness within their world/universe to their story beyond the superficial like being the ***first*** human guardian is a superb distinction beyond just being a black guy.

We also need to know more about his family(if he has one)...his love life with Vixen (ahem...shameless plug)...how he reconciles his architectural and military past....which one came first and why did he switch to the other?.... Is he really the brother to BLs wife?... Get to see him use both skills combined in his GL activities NOT only switching back n forth....what about he interactions with the other Lantern corps etc.
    A Chosen One plot wouldn't match Green Lantern Corps mythos. The whole point is that no matter the shape, size or personality every green lantern is important and brings something to the table.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    What I meant is that John's literal first page is sadly still relevant in 2020. The only thing dated is the dialogue, and clothing, lol.

One of those guys playing dominoes could have easily been Eric Garner.

The Vietnam origin for Tony Stark has longed been retconned out.

To go from really humble beginnings to serving his country, becoming an architect, and later a cosmic champion is really inspiring, to me.
    Very true......

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Very true......
    Indeed it is, and very inspiring as the original user stated.

I do vastly prefer characters like John Stewart who are not born great but become great. Goku and Dr. Who (until the atrocious recent Space Jesus retcon) are two of my favorites besides John. Both may have come from extraordinary species but they were considered nothing special and even treated with scorn by their fellows. Like John, they became legendary heroes through sheer effort and determination driven by compassion, loyalty, and a burning desire to protect those who could not protect themselves from the powerful.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."