Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What is your dream for the next Spider-Man creative team?

But let's keep it reasonable. Let's not say Michael Chabon and Travis Charest or something. Or Alan Moore and Alex Ross. Who could actually take over who you would like to see?

Within reason who would you like to take over for Spencer/Bagley/Gleason?

For writer:

Outside of Marvel I am not good at knowing who is exclusive or not. But DC's big guns (Snyder, King, Tynion, etc.) none of them seem like great fits for Spidey. Am I curious what a Scott Snyder Spider-Man would look like? Yes, he's a New York guy and I'd be interested in his take. But I don't need a Scott Snyder Spider-Man.

At Marvel - I think Chip Zdarksy wrote an amazing Spider-Man but I kind of feel like he did his thing already - It's not without precedent to do a run on Spectacular and then get the main book (Roger Stern and J.M. Demeteis come to mind) but I feel like he did his thing. Also has anyone, other than Stan Lee and Bendis, written Spidey and Daredevil at the same time?

I don't think Donny Cates or Al Ewing seem well suited to Spider-Man for various reasons. Cates is all about spectacle and isn't that funny. Al Ewing is high concept madness and deep continuity riffs and Spider-Man doesn't really require those skill sets.

Jason Aaron writes a great Spider-Man but I think his glory days are over. I wouldn't be shocked to see him given the chance though (is he Marvel exclusive?)

Ryan North is funny but I don't know if he's ever done a "serious" run on a comic.

Kelly Thompson is talented and it would be great to finally have a female writer on a Spider-Man ongoing (I know Nocenti and Simonson did some brief stories in the 80s)

Jed Mackay is obviously an up and comer and I wouldn't be surprised if he's pegged for the job at some point.

But I think my pick would be Zeb Wells who is killing it on Hellions, has a good voice for Spidey as seen in the Avenging Spider-Man stories he did, and is good at continuity pulls.

For Artist:

Am I nuts or does it feel like its been awhile since Spidey had a superstar artist on the book? I guess Ottley was considered a big get but it doesn't feel like he drew that many issues and I'm not sure he quite counts as a superstar. I do wish ASM didn't double ship because I'm enough of a purist that I miss when a book had a solid writer/artist team and wasn't an art by committee deal.

I love Bagley and could read his Spider-Man comics forever but if I had to change things up:

I think Gleason is immensely talented but I don't love his work on Spider-Man.

So outside of the current guys people I'd like to see draw Spidey who aren't necessarily taken:

C.F. Villa is blowing me away on Black Cat but I don't wanna rob that book of it's artist.

Elena Casagrande is doing some the best action scenes in comics on Black Widow so I'd be curious how she'd tackle Spider-Man in motion

But I'll go with Pere Perez who is really growing on me and doing great work on Spider-Woman.

So my pick would be Zeb Wells / Pere Perez

How about you?

BANNED

I think Christopher Cantwell, Tini Howard, Gerry Duggan, Leah Williams among others would be worth checking out on Spider-Man, as writers.

For art, I don't have strong favorites but Russell Dauterman's art is always awesome looking, from Aaron's run on Thor to his work in X-Men and cover-art. So maybe him?

Mighty Member

Zdarksy on Amazing would be a dream. But I feel he is mostly done with 616 Spider-man. However, I can see him returning if he thinks he has something.
    Bagley would be the obvious choice for Zdarksy, reading his Life Story mini made me want to see this in the 616.

Cates is actually pretty good at smaller moments. There have a been a few moments during his Venom run that he pulled off rather well. I do feel he'll need to be reigned in a bit however, and I don't know if Lowe is the person to do that. Ideally, he'll need an editor like Brevoort who'll be able to steer him in a better direction.
    As it stands, I believe he'll be next on Amazing. But a run with him and Stegman should be fun regardless. And with Kindred running about, you know he'll focus on the relationship between Harry and Norman.
    Also it gives him a chance to possibly have Venom in an arc...

Al Ewing gets the character, if you've read his Mighty Avengers run then you'll know he has a good voice for Spider-man.
    I also expect it would be something much like Zdarksy's Spider-man which is just a beautiful story.

Leah Williams I think could do a fun run, it could also allow her to follow up on some things from her short Mary Jane comic. Maybe even rework that second arc into an arc in Spider-man.

Speaking of Cantwell, I'm not 100% convinced of his Iron Man, but I do think he can bring out a good Spider-man. I think he'll need to be doing comics for a while however just to iron out some of the problems I have with his writing.
    But after that bumpy start, I'm sure he can pull out a decent run.
    For now, he could probably work better with a different Spider-man title like Spectacular or Web of.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Zdarksy on Amazing would be a dream. But I feel he is mostly done with 616 Spider-man. However, I can see him returning if he thinks he has something.
    Bagley would be the obvious choice for Zdarksy, reading his Life Story mini made me want to see this in the 616.

Cates is actually pretty good at smaller moments. There have a been a few moments during his Venom run that he pulled off rather well. I do feel he'll need to be reigned in a bit however, and I don't know if Lowe is the person to do that. Ideally, he'll need an editor like Brevoort who'll be able to steer him in a better direction.
    As it stands, I believe he'll be next on Amazing. But a run with him and Stegman should be fun regardless. And with Kindred running about, you know he'll focus on the relationship between Harry and Norman.

Al Ewing gets the character, if you've read his Mighty Avengers run then you'll know he has a good voice for Spider-man.
    I also expect it would be something much like Zdarksy's Spider-man which is just a beautiful story.

Leah Williams I think could do a fun run, it could also allow her to follow up on some things from her short Mary Jane comic. Maybe even rework that second arc into an arc in Spider-man.

Speaking of Cantwell, I'm not 100% convinced of his Iron Man, but I do think he can bring out a good Spider-man. I think he'll need to be doing comics for a while however just to iron out some of the problems I have with his writing.
    For now, he could probably work better with a different Spider-man title like Spectacular or Web of.
    I am no expert in writers or artists ( although I certainly would prefer Stern or a Spencer continuation over Slott or Wolfman). That said, what should matter is not who but what comes next. I would like to see some fresh ideas and adversaries without being polar opposite of what we like about Amazing. That means no rehashing “Been there done that” for Peter, like Marvel is doing for Miles with the Clone Saga and OMD. It also means no WTF type comics like OMD, BND, The Other, Sins Past, Shed and much of Slott’s run. I also want the marriage restored.

Mackay is the best and only good current option for ASM, which is why he will never get it. Good for him.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Mackay is the best and only good current option for ASM, which is why he will never get it. Good for him.
    As I mentioned before I am no expert on writers, so I will ask : 1: Why is MacKay the best and only good option? 2: How come he will not get it?

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    As I mentioned before I am no expert on writers, so I will ask : 1: Why is MacKay the best and only good option? 2: How come he will not get it?
    He is suited for it, consistently good, and not very popular.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

I am no expert in writers or artists ( although I certainly would prefer Stern or a Spencer continuation over Slott or Wolfman). That said, what should matter is not who but what comes next. I would like to see some fresh ideas and adversaries without being polar opposite of what we like about Amazing. That means no rehashing “Been there done that” for Peter, like Marvel is doing for Miles with the Clone Saga and OMD. It also means no WTF type comics like OMD, BND, The Other, Sins Past, Shed and much of Slott’s run. I also want the marriage restored.
    Exactly...and that Pete is not the universe's punching bag. He gets his doctorate and we get to see more of the personal life of the characters.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post

Cosigned on Al Ewing, if you're referring to that scene in Mighty Avengers' AXIS tie-in arc where Spider-Man catches or picks up Captain America's shield and calls out the Inverted heroes for not acting like heroes in a pretty awesome speech about what being an Avenger (and hero) truly means.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Cosigned on Al Ewing, if you're referring to that scene in Mighty Avengers' AXIS tie-in arc where Spider-Man catches or picks up Captain America's shield and calls out the Inverted heroes for not acting like heroes in a pretty awesome speech about what being an Avenger (and hero) truly means.
    oh i should go read that
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    oh i should go read that
    Yes. Yes, you should. It's one of the few times Spider-Man isn't on the Avengers (just) to be comic relief.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Exactly...and that Pete is not the universe's punching bag. He gets his doctorate and we get to see more of the personal life of the characters.
    I hate Peter as a punching bag. I think of the Slott comparisons to Charlie Brown. Other unnecessary stuff “Comedy Relief” ( The Avengers (616)) and “The Kid” ( The Avengers ( MCU)). One thing I always consider a good thing in fiction is character growth, and whoever writes Amazing next should allow Peter to grow as a character. Does it mean he will not make mistakes? Of course not ( he is not God), but it should be two steps forward and not two steps back.

I hate Peter as a punching bag. I think of the Slott comparisons to Charlie Brown. Other unnecessary stuff “Comedy Relief” ( The Avengers (616)) and “The Kid” ( The Avengers ( MCU)). One thing I always consider a good thing in fiction is character growth, and whoever writes Amazing next should allow Peter to grow as a character. Does it mean he will not make mistakes? Of course not ( he is not God), but it should be two steps forward and not two steps back.
    Character development in comics how often does that carry over between writers anyway?

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yes. Yes, you should. It's one of the few times Spider-Man isn't on the Avengers (just) to be comic relief.

RCO015_1470975210.jpg

Pretty sure Peter would rather be the comic relief of the team than the main leader but this page is nice to see although it took awhile to find it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Character development in comics how often does that carry over between writers anyway?
    More often then you think. Spencer’s Peter grew from Slott’s Peter. Earlier there was a progression Ditko to Romita. Only when Marvel decides to de-age Peter in actuality (MCU) or in reality ( Slott especially that juvenile BND cover which I hate)) does he not experience character growth. MJ is another character who grew from a one dimensional party girl to the multi dimensional character she is today.