Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

i saw at bleeding cool that diamond is back for the next Wednesday.

That's Diamond UK, not US. And it won't be, because the UK will still be on lockdown.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/diam...ay-april-15th/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

As flawed as the ComicsHub idea was, it still seems the most viable to me. Physical stores would have to do something that promotes digital because it lets them sell and comixology/amazon would have to let a competitor into the digital market because it would let them resume selling single issues. It's an idea everyone has reason to hate but also helps them make more money than not doing it, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    As flawed as the ComicsHub idea was, it still seems the most viable to me. Physical stores would have to do something that promotes digital because it lets them sell and comixology/amazon would have to let a competitor into the digital market because it would let them resume selling single issues. It's an idea everyone has reason to hate but also helps them make more money than not doing it, imo.
    That right there is why it was never going to happen. Plus, I'm sure Comicshub wasn't doing this solely out of the goodness of their heart. They'd want their cut from someone.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alterna Comics have ditched Diamond and will self-distribute. They also claim Diamond won't resume distribution until August. That means all comics would be four months late.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/diam...gust-earliest/
    Diamond seems to be doing everything possible to force publishers to find other distributors. I think they are going to come out the big loser in this mess.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Those demands are not practical.

New content for a dollar is not a viable model, unless those dollar comics consistently lead readers to high-selling events.

Single issue comics are one of the most over-hyped gimmicks in this fandom. Competently executing a worthwhile idea generally requires more than 20 pages.
    I do have to wonder about the actual cost for publishing a floppy. Marvel sells a nice amount of those $1 True Believer comics. They can't be losing money on them, as they've been putting out more and more of them. Are they selling them at cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    When the comics come back, will they all be dropped at once? Or will they maintain their original schedule just pushed back however many weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I'd expect the releases will speed up to catch up but no way will they be able to print all the solicited books to drop in one go.
    I imagine the latter. Marvel is already cutting / postponing their titles for May and June. If I were to GUESS, to start out with a bang, I could see them doubling up on Empyre for a month, and not double shipping anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alterna Comics have ditched Diamond and will self-distribute. They also claim Diamond won't resume distribution until August. That means all comics would be four months late.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/diam...gust-earliest/
    And people would really prefer comics be 4 months late when we could have got our fix weeks ago Digitally. Y'all really trying to wait that long?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That right there is why it was never going to happen. Plus, I'm sure Comicshub wasn't doing this solely out of the goodness of their heart. They'd want their cut from someone.
    Right, but the alternative is no new sales. I wonder if there's a turning point where they'll see things differently.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

I agree that Diamond is going to lose on this. But, it is not really their fault.

Most stores would not have to option to open, even if they had new comics. At most, they could do curbside pick-up for pull-files. (Better than nothing, but still less money in sales.).

Comics are an industry where the production and sales have stopped, and a missing sale will impact future sales.

Anything that a publisher does not ship for April or May is going to be months of lost sales. I would not blame any publisher for this. But, I also would not bother finishing a run/arc with a gap.

I do have to wonder about the actual cost for publishing a floppy. Marvel sells a nice amount of those $1 True Believer comics. They can't be losing money on them, as they've been putting out more and more of them. Are they selling them at cost?
    The "True Believers" comics are reprints. The content is already done. At most, there might be royalties. But, that is less than paying for new content.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    And people would really prefer comics be 4 months late when we could have got our fix weeks ago Digitally. Y'all really trying to wait that long?
    If it means there is a recognizable comic industry and MU left when this is all over, yes.

If the LCBS go down, I predict there will be a tiny fraction of comics created, if that. There will be no Wiccan or Hulking comics, there will only be ONE Spider-Man and ONE Avengers and ONE X-Men. Floppies will be dead, and you'll have to wait months between trades. And chances are, what few comics are left will be fairly sanitized and aimed at kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Right, but the alternative is no new sales. I wonder if there's a turning point where they'll see things differently.
    I think the turning point will be bypassing Diamond. If things open up enough that the publishers can get their comics printed, I could see them mailing them directly to stores, just like Aleterna is talking about doing.

I agree that Diamond is going to lose on this. But, it is not really their fault.

Most stores would not have to option to open, even if they had new comics. At most, they could do curbside pick-up for pull-files. (Better than nothing, but still less money in sales.).

Comics are an industry where the production and sales have stopped, and a missing sale will impact future sales.

Anything that a publisher does not ship for April or May is going to be months of lost sales. I would not blame any publisher for this. But, I also would not bother finishing a run/arc with a gap.
    Yes, like everyone else, Diamond got screwed by the pandemic. However, asking stores to pay their bills in full, while telling publishers they would only pay 25% of their bills to them, hasn't exactly garnered good will from anyone right now. Plus the whole monoply thing ....

The "True Believers" comics are reprints. The content is already done. At most, there might be royalties. But, that is less than paying for new content.
    I know. Which would imply that the cost of True Believers is the cost of printing. Actually, probably a higher cost of printing, since the print run is so much lower... I'm just trying to understand the price increases and where they are going -- especially given the creators complaining of stagnant page rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    If it means there is a recognizable comic industry and MU left when this is all over, yes.

If the LCBS go down, I predict there will be a tiny fraction of comics created, if that. There will be no Wiccan or Hulking comics, there will only be ONE Spider-Man and ONE Avengers and ONE X-Men. Floppies will be dead, and you'll have to wait months between trades. And chances are, what few comics are left will be fairly sanitized and aimed at kids.
    If LCBS shut down that's due to their own inadequacies and unwillingness to adapt, if anything comes out of this hopefully they'll learn that their current. Method of distribution is flawed and needs revision.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    i saw at bleeding cool that diamond is back for the next Wednesday.
    Diamond UK, and the only for back orders like the US.