Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Getting this book tomorrow, picked it up on a whim after hearing good things about it. Should be awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I hate to be "that guy" but I agree the Carol/Kyle thing felt weird. How much older is Carol than Kyle??? Then again I do love how Carol's being pushed as an equal co-star in this book.... I suppose you take the good with the bad...

Am I the only one who absolutely LOVES that Oblivion was brought back with a new Origin??? For the longest time it seemed like they basically tossed away all of Kyle's rogues gallery... Heck Fatality the only that's still around but that's only because she's shacking up with her former arch-nemesis...

What I mean to say its good to see a writer remember that Kyle had his own mythos going on for the better part of a decade... Now only if we could revive Nero....
    I love the return of Oblivion, err the New 52 debut of Oblivion. Upon reading it before the reveal I was thinking, "Umm...I've totally read this before," and then there he was so that's cool. I hope to see more re-establishing of Kyle's rogues.

Nero, Effigy and completion of the Controllers arc that got teased would be great.

I'm fine with Carol/Kyle. She's not anyone's property, nor was she even in a relationship with Hal at the end of Johns run. Yeah she said she loved him, but that doesn't translate to "we're in a relationship". Maybe she really does and will end up with Hal in that possible future depicted in the epilogue. It doesn't really matter because these are superhero comics who we know will never age past 40 and under current mandate, unless a special case like Animal Man, no one will be coupling up in any permanent sense. So basically...whatever. Hal, Kyle with Carol - pretty much don't give a shit since it's not central at all to anyone's identity. But if it serves whatever story the writer at any moment wants, that's fine. It's not really that OOC, really. What resistance to the idea that exists really is is just decades and years of conditioning to the idea that it becomes a truth/reality and it's forgotten whether the narrative, no matter what universe/multiverse and no matter what publishing history really had any strong supporting data other than just being told, "Hey fellas, this is how it is, these are the rules. Don't ask questions. Read it and like it."

As to their age different. It's not as large a gap at all as before the reboot. Hal, John, Guy and Kyle are all in the same age group now, granted Kyle is presumably still the youngest. They're all over 21 and given all the other adult superhero ages hovering 20-something unless otherwise stated puts them probably in early-to-mid 20's. Kyle and Carol could even be the exact same age or even he being older. It wouldn't be the first time. It was established that a pre-pubescent Kyle had a poster of Donna as Wonder Girl up on his room establishing a 4-5 year age difference her way. Then gradually as time went on that gap got smaller and smaller and then due to Kyle's 10 year high school reunion where he took Jen, it was clearly established how old he would be and yet somehow this oddly put Donna as either the same age or younger depending on the stories. They're probably the same age and if not within 4 years over/under.
    Last edited by Tandaemonium; 05-01-2014 at 04:53 AM.

BANNED

Oblivion's art projects were really trippy and unsettling. They did a good job with that. I hope they aren't setting Kyle up to lose his white ring though. There're so many stories they could tell with it I think.

I could have swore in a New 52 issue Kyle referred to Hal as old man :/ could be wrong thou

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Mr. Jordan, please don't take any of this personally. I, for one, have loved pretty much everything else you have done on New Guardians and I think you are a fantastic writer. However, this one thing is really the only thing that I really dislike. It just seems really...premature, given what transpired at the end of the Johns run. I mean, the whole reason we got for the Hal/Carol breakup was pretty much a "non-reason," spawned out of the writing team just wanting to break them up. If it had happened organically, being shown to come out of fundamental differences they have – like, say, a real break-up – I'd be more okay with it.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, can you tease anything about any upcoming projects you have with DC or elsewhere? I've always thought that you should be put on more books at the company.
    I'm not insulted or anything - you in particular seem pretty reasonable and are definitely not rude, which I appreciate. But I can't argue you into liking something, and I won't try.

I will say that for me, both the timeline and the reason work. I mean, I have absolutely been in love with people who I eventually realized I was not able to be IN a relationship with. Sometimes, as the song says, love just isn't enough. Now having said that, there is also the possibility that Carol is just wrong about Hal and her. What I will definitely tell you is true is that Hal and Carol's break up is more about her than him, and there will indeed be some exploration of that fairly soon.

On the timeline thing - well, Carol and Kyle and have known each other a while, and the adventures taking place in the New Guardians book have taken place over what I'd consider a decent stretch of time, and in stressful situations. So I feel like it's justified. But I wrote it, so I would, right?

As for me - I've got some stuff I'm pitching to DC right now, so hopefully something will come of that. In the non DC department, I've got a new creator owned ongoing starting in July from Image called Spread, as well as the final Luther Strode this fall.

Always Rakzo

Hey guys, I just came back from my good 8 hours of sleep and a good work out, what happened he...

Oh ho ho ho! Okay, let's see:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    In most cases, though, she has been. There's no erasing that fact.
    Again, not really.

They've toyed with the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship before:
    "Toyed", yes, but it has ever been a full blown relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    I see none.
    Must be blind.

Pretty ignorant and incorrect statement coming from you Razko.

Englehart booted Carol off because he wanted to push an Arisia relationship, Jones was following the whole Star Sapphire thing and Carol was reintroduced halfway the book, where she did become the basically become the main girl (they even dealt with the predator thing) and appeared in just about every issue.

Marz only used Carol in three issues, and even then in all three she was basically made out to be an important part of Hal's life.
    Nope, don't see it really.

Arisia was the most important love interest in Englehart's run, that proves my point.

Carol appeared during Jones' run sure, but she wasn't really Hal's love interest since it was pretty obvious that he didn't care that way for her anymore (Hell, they didn't even kiss).

And Marz just wrote a few issues with her, Ollie was the most important person for Hal during those days (start the fanfics!).

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    And yet people have managed to complain about it for nearly a year now. Amazing!
    Totally and it's pretty funny in retrospective.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    I'm not insulted or anything - you in particular seem pretty reasonable and are definitely not rude, which I appreciate. But I can't argue you into liking something, and I won't try.

I will say that for me, both the timeline and the reason work. I mean, I have absolutely been in love with people who I eventually realized I was not able to be IN a relationship with. Sometimes, as the song says, love just isn't enough. Now having said that, there is also the possibility that Carol is just wrong about Hal and her. What I will definitely tell you is true is that Hal and Carol's break up is more about her than him, and there will indeed be some exploration of that fairly soon.

On the timeline thing - well, Carol and Kyle and have known each other a while, and the adventures taking place in the New Guardians book have taken place over what I'd consider a decent stretch of time, and in stressful situations. So I feel like it's justified. But I wrote it, so I would, right?

As for me - I've got some stuff I'm pitching to DC right now, so hopefully something will come of that. In the non DC department, I've got a new creator owned ongoing starting in July from Image called Spread, as well as the final Luther Strode this fall.
    I agree about the relationships points and it's good to hear that you're doing more pitchs for DC, I would love to see you writing Booster Gold.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

I think the Carol/Kyle relationship works fine. Hal is just too involved in his own world to make it truly work with Carol.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Since Jordan took over this has been consistently one of the best New 52 titles. Hell, after about the first 3 Vendetti issues where he was setting up things, all of the GL books have been great. I would buy a book with just the Guardians, as I really like what they have done with the little buggers. I'm sure in the next few years they will try to take back over the Corps, but they are great sidekicks now. As for the Kyle/Carol age thing - in the New 52 Bats/Supes are about 28/29...that puts Hal Jordan at about 27, meaning Kyle is prob 23 or 24. Carol would be younger than Hal so 25-26. So yeah, a 26 year old and a 23-24 year old. And in a universe where Superman and Wonder Woman are an item I think we can throw the old love interests trumping new romances out the window

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I hate to be "that guy" but I agree the Carol/Kyle thing felt weird. How much older is Carol than Kyle??? Then again I do love how Carol's being pushed as an equal co-star in this book.... I suppose you take the good with the bad...
    Holy crap, how did I miss this?

Are you from a past century? And I'm not even talking about the 20th century.

Sometimes, I think I'm the only one that is enjoying the Carol/ Kyle relationship. (And this comes from a long, long time Hal fan.) I don't know if there has been a rough age for Carol established, but before the reboot of the boards, I posted the reasons why I guestimate Hal's age at about 34. Carol is probably a year or two younger (given how much of the Secret Origins arc in GL is still in continuity), and I guess Kyle to be around 24. So, at most a ten year age difference - really nothing wrong with that. And I don't see how people are saying this is just overnight: Carol's been in GL:NG for a long time now, before Jordan took over, when Kyle was doing the Last Avatar thing.

Here's the way I see it: Carol has been frustrated with Hal since before Flashpoint (didn't she even ask him when was the last time he took his ring off?) and then saw how completely Hal had let his life fall apart once he was no longer a GL (Post 52 GL #1) - Hal is committed to the Corps. During the training of Kyle to be the WL, maybe she saw certain traits that Kyle shares with Hal (strength, determination, etc.), but with a more, for lack of a better word, tender side. I'm really enjoying where this is going.

But, off of the elephant in the living room, it's nice to see New52 Oblivion. And SPACE SHARKS again! I was so close to dropping GL:NG back in its teens and I'm glad I stuck around. Jordan has turned the book into one of the strongest of the New52 line.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumeNoir View Post
    Sometimes, I think I'm the only one that is enjoying the Carol/ Kyle relationship. (And this comes from a long, long time Hal fan.) I don't know if there has been a rough age for Carol established, but before the reboot of the boards, I posted the reasons why I guestimate Hal's age at about 34. Carol is probably a year or two younger (given how much of the Secret Origins arc in GL is still in continuity), and I guess Kyle to be around 24. So, at most a ten year age difference - really nothing wrong with that. And I don't see how people are saying this is just overnight: Carol's been in GL:NG for a long time now, before Jordan took over, when Kyle was doing the Last Avatar thing.

Here's the way I see it: Carol has been frustrated with Hal since before Flashpoint (didn't she even ask him when was the last time he took his ring off?) and then saw how completely Hal had let his life fall apart once he was no longer a GL (Post 52 GL #1) - Hal is committed to the Corps. During the training of Kyle to be the WL, maybe she saw certain traits that Kyle shares with Hal (strength, determination, etc.), but with a more, for lack of a better word, tender side. I'm really enjoying where this is going.

But, off of the elephant in the living room, it's nice to see New52 Oblivion. And SPACE SHARKS again! I was so close to dropping GL:NG back in its teens and I'm glad I stuck around. Jordan has turned the book into one of the strongest of the New52 line.
    If you went by Secret Origins than Hal and Carol are basically the exact same age.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

If you went by Secret Origins than Hal and Carol are basically the exact same age.
    I think Carol would at least be 5 yrs older then Kyle.. maybe late 20's early 30's.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    I love the return of Oblivion, err the New 52 debut of Oblivion. Upon reading it before the reveal I was thinking, "Umm...I've totally read this before," and then there he was so that's cool. I hope to see more re-establishing of Kyle's rogues.

Nero, Effigy and completion of the Controllers arc that got teased would be great.

I'm fine with Carol/Kyle. She's not anyone's property, nor was she even in a relationship with Hal at the end of Johns run. Yeah she said she loved him, but that doesn't translate to "we're in a relationship". Maybe she really does and will end up with Hal in that possible future depicted in the epilogue. It doesn't really matter because these are superhero comics who we know will never age past 40 and under current mandate, unless a special case like Animal Man, no one will be coupling up in any permanent sense. So basically...whatever. Hal, Kyle with Carol - pretty much don't give a shit since it's not central at all to anyone's identity. But if it serves whatever story the writer at any moment wants, that's fine. It's not really that OOC, really. What resistance to the idea that exists really is is just decades and years of conditioning to the idea that it becomes a truth/reality and it's forgotten whether the narrative, no matter what universe/multiverse and no matter what publishing history really had any strong supporting data other than just being told, "Hey fellas, this is how it is, these are the rules. Don't ask questions. Read it and like it."

As to their age different. It's not as large a gap at all as before the reboot. Hal, John, Guy and Kyle are all in the same age group now, granted Kyle is presumably still the youngest. They're all over 21 and given all the other adult superhero ages hovering 20-something unless otherwise stated puts them probably in early-to-mid 20's. Kyle and Carol could even be the exact same age or even he being older. It wouldn't be the first time. It was established that a pre-pubescent Kyle had a poster of Donna as Wonder Girl up on his room establishing a 4-5 year age difference her way. Then gradually as time went on that gap got smaller and smaller and then due to Kyle's 10 year high school reunion where he took Jen, it was clearly established how old he would be and yet somehow this oddly put Donna as either the same age or younger depending on the stories. They're probably the same age and if not within 4 years over/under.
    Okay a few things, if Hal and Carol weren't together, then how come they were sleeping together? They sure had something going off.

Secondly I can't believe the idea that Kyle is older than Hal, considering that Secret Origins made it pretty clear that Hal and Carol were exactly the same age. Also the reboot didn't seem to change anything serious, considering that Green Lantern was changed relatively intact (obviously because of Johns having a lot of clout).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    I think Carol would at least be 5 yrs older then Kyle.. maybe late 20's early 30's.
    There's too much inconsistency in comic ages anyway. If we went by actual storyline and not Johns constant deaging of characters, then Hal and Carol would have to at least be in their forties.

You're right, I'm not sure why I had it in my head that she was a year or two younger - but that doesn't change what I meant.

So, based upon Hal being an Air Force pilot, the training and schooling and then the experience, and then being GL for five years - he's, at least, 30. And thus, so is Carol.