Page 61 of 139 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
    BANNED

His time will come, its all about patience.
    I'm going to play devil's advocate, the way I saw Starlord's character in the movie was a man before he was exposed to war and heroism this is just Starlord on his journey slowly walking the path of the version that will hopefully emerge. Drax well given how every time he dies he seems to regenerate a new level of intellect and power I never considered consistent other than his main goal of revenge and how he never regards the consequence of his actions.

but these are just my humble opinions as to how Nova is portrayed or which version they'll use thats another matter so I'll wait and see. If its Richard i will cheer if its Sam I'll boo.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    His time will come, its all about patience.
    I'm going to play devil's advocate, the way I saw Starlord's character in the movie was a man before he was exposed to war and heroism this is just Starlord on his journey slowly walking the path of the version that will hopefully emerge. Drax well given how every time he dies he seems to regenerate a new level of intellect and power I never considered consistent other than his main goal of revenge and how he never regards the consequence of his actions.
    I've had the same thoughts about Star-Lord too, actually. He does grow a bit over the course of the film, but I can imagine him being ground down into the more sardonic, world-weary DnA Quill over the course of the next phase of films. And if it eventually leads to him wearing some version of the Annihilation Conquest-and-beyond costume, I'll probably explode from glee.

As for Nova, well, bear in mind everything I said only applies to James Gunn, and he's not the overall boss of all things Marvel. Plus with the success of GOTG and the continuing branching-out of the MCU into ever more crazy territory, I doubt Marvel will be content to only have one series representing the cosmic side. Nova could be a good contrast to Guardians if he's allowed to operate according to his strengths: play it more straight and earnest, and aim for something like a modern-day Marvelised Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon feel.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I've had the same thoughts about Star-Lord too, actually. He does grow a bit over the course of the film, but I can imagine him being ground down into the more sardonic, world-weary DnA Quill over the course of the next phase of films. And if it eventually leads to him wearing some version of the Annihilation Conquest-and-beyond costume, I'll probably explode from glee.

As for Nova, well, bear in mind everything I said only applies to James Gunn, and he's not the overall boss of all things Marvel. Plus with the success of GOTG and the continuing branching-out of the MCU into ever more crazy territory, I doubt Marvel will be content to only have one series representing the cosmic side. Nova could be a good contrast to Guardians if he's allowed to operate according to his strengths: play it more straight and earnest, and aim for something like a modern-day Marvelised Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon feel.

Yeah I could see that working for Nova, I remember someone saying if Quasar was introduced he would be the superhero of the comic side to contrast with Nova's Soldier and Starlord's smuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    If we can learn anything from GOTG, it's that James Gunn loves weird characters, and that's likely what drew him to the title. He bet heavily on Rocket and Groot because they're damn weird, he revamped Drax to make him even more weird, and Star-Lord...well, he's not 'weird' per se, but by transforming him from the sardonic, wounded war veteran of the DnA run into a cunning, impulsive, immature dolt he dragged Quill far away from any traditionally 'heroic' qualities the character might have had. The film's success would indicate this was generally a good move. (Gamora is kind of the exception here - somehow she got less weird, but I think that was accidental)

The problem with that is, Richard Rider is not weird. Even with nigh-godlike rocket powers and a supercomputer jabbering at him through his helmet, he's basically as straight-up cookie-cutter superhero as you can get. And to be clear, that's not a bad thing in general. It worked through Annihilation and beyond, having him being the moral center and straight-man amidst a universe of chaos and nutty people. But Gunn doesn't want a straight man. He wants weirdoes. So unless he can think up some way to twist Rider into something altogether more odd between now and May 2017, I wouldn't hold my breath for proper human-rocket Nova in the MCU.
    Yeah good points...although GUnn expressed he loved Wolfman's cosmic stuff which I found odd..he mainly said he liked the character but loathed the helmet, lol.

RIch could go any # of ways. He could be Spider Man...he Could be Johnny Storm..he can be Steve Rodgers or even Nick Fury if you wanted..the archetype has relevance in todays world with guys like Chris Kyle out there. It rings true...I agree I'm just not sure if a guy like Gunn sees that.

This is one of my new favorite Nova arts ever...really great

more here

http://superherococo.blogspot.com/20...l#comment-form

All-New Member

****SPOILER ALERT*****

DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY INFO ABOUT GOTG #20

So I just finished reading GOTG #20 and I have no idea what the hell just happened. The writing and art just aren't clear enough to really say whether Richard Rider lived or died. Quill assumes he died, but that's about it. It's kind of a frustrating resolution to the 3-issue arc.

Also his name was spelled "Ryder" and "Rider" throughout the book. The editor's really not paying much attention. Either way I'd be okay with, but man, pick one and stick with it.

I won't get into it any more than that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lio_convoy View Post
    ****SPOILER ALERT*****

So I just finished reading GOTG #20 and I have no idea what the hell just happened. The writing and art just aren't clear enough to really say whether Richard Rider lived or died. Quill assumes he died, but that's about it. It's kind of a frustrating resolution to the 3-issue arc.

Also his name was spelled "Ryder" and "Rider" throughout the book. The editor's really not paying much attention. Either way I'd be okay with, but man, pick one and stick with it.

I was afraid of that. I want a definative answer not 5 more years of limbo...Lanning has said he wants to do more Nova so why not let him?

BANNED

****SPOILER ALERT*****

Well on the one hand at least Bendis didn't pull a Slott, if it was Slott he would have gladly killed Nova and told old Nova fans to shove off and accept the new version or get the hell out of here, on the other hand now Nova (Rider) fans will have to wait years for him to return from limbo. But I'm glad he's not dead, I can be patient but I still won't read NINO no matter how many times Marvel forces me to read him.

Spectacular Member

I need details if someone wants to PM me. I won't get my copy till next month. Does Rich just come back after losing the arm like Thanos and Quill? Thanks
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

I could use a PM too...I'm not going to buy the comic but I'd like to know how it went.

CraigTheCylon and THANOSRULES in regards to Gunn's views on NOVA you are both absolutely correct.

I have a dragoncon video from a few month back of when my bud "thatNovaPrimeguy" (best Richard Rider Cosplayer out there, BTW) asked Jame's Gunn during his panel (in full costume of course) "When not IF we would be seeing Richard Rider / Novae Prime show up in the Marvel Cosmic Cinematic Universe?" Gunn obviously couldn't go 100% into details as far as everyone he plans to use in his corner of the MCU. But he did say although he doesnt want to disappoint anybody he doesn't want to get caught up in a super hero "checklist" type scenario. Where he includes popular comic characters just because people expect them to be in there (like in the X-Men and Spidey films). He basically says that weakens the over all story and in the case of SOME of these characters he's not sure he can bring these guys in and do them justice. He also goes on to state that he's more into the "loser" characters. The ones you didn't think you'd give a shit about and then GET you to love them...like he said in the movie, it's okay "to give a shit". It was a good response, from Gunn and had a pretty darn PRO-Nova crowd cheering even though Gunn basically said Rich's story wasn't really in the cards at the moment....I think he's more focused on the Father/Child dynamic for Pete, Gamora, and Drax for the next film.

I'll try to upload that video later today and post it here.

All-New Member

I'd PM you guys, but I think that's something only users with more posts can do here. I can't find the option anywhere, even when I click on your profiles.

I just took to my tumblr account and did a quick write up there. If you want spoilers, check it out. If you don't, then don't click the link!

http://lio-convoy.tumblr.com/

I'd PM you guys, but I think that's something only users with more posts can do here. I can't find the option anywhere, even when I click on your profiles.

I just took to my tumblr account and did a quick write up there. If you want spoilers, check it out. If you don't, then don't click the link!

http://lio-convoy.tumblr.com/
    Hmm..I guess what gets me most is even within the stuff and the internal logic of the actual 3 issue arc...it does not add up. Its not "witty kinda Lost -esque mystery" stuff either...its like that seems "rushed and makes no logical sense" stuff, like the items you discussed there on the blog. Thanks for the link.

It makes me still glad I made the call to drop my pulls.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

So the entire storyline...was completely pointless. Thanks Bendys, this was really worth our time.
    Cyclops was right