Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

In the justice league no because her skills like I wrote always overlaps with bruce she just uses them for her own profit instead of upholding the law. If she still is a criminal then why is this wedding taking place just for the buzz without making sense. I always thought she be perfect for the suicide squad since harley and ivy and other gotham rogues excluding the joker have been members in the past. She does not work for free except when it involves only people she actually knows or cares about maybe with deathstroke as a fellow merc who does inflitration would be in her wheelhouse.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I highly doubt the League would be too put off by Selina's past. She steals things from people who can afford to lose them. Hardly a heinous crime. A crime, yes. But not nearly one that precludes one from being considered redeemable. She's also known to look out for the poor and the downtrodden in Gotham from time to time and she's even been a (mostly) reliable ally to Batman for years.

Add the fact that she was still good enough to win Bruce's heart into the equation and I don't see the League having too many issues with her.

Now that said, I don't think she'd ever be a regular member of the League. She just isn't well-suited to most of the threats the League tends to deal with. They may call her in for missions in which her expertise in stealth and infiltration or her knowledge of the Gotham Underworld may be useful, but that's about it. I could also see her filling in for Bruce in the event that he's unavailable. But that's about it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I highly doubt the League would be too put off by Selina's past. She steals things from people who can afford to lose them. Hardly a heinous crime. A crime, yes. But not nearly one that precludes one from being considered redeemable. She's also known to look out for the poor and the downtrodden in Gotham from time to time and she's even been a (mostly) reliable ally to Batman for years.

Add the fact that she was still good enough to win Bruce's heart into the equation and I don't see the League having too many issues with her.

Now that said, I don't think she'd ever be a regular member of the League. She just isn't well-suited to most of the threats the League tends to deal with. They may call her in for missions in which her expertise in stealth and infiltration or her knowledge of the Gotham Underworld may be useful, but that's about it. I could also see her filling in for Bruce in the event that he's unavailable. But that's about it.
    It's still theft, and that would still be seen by certain league members as a big no no. Also it depends on who is writing her in regard to being a look out for the poor in Gotham. Key word here being mostly as she's been known to betray others and that would be something I can see Green Lantern and Cyborg not being too thrilled about.

Also, as many have pointed out regarding Bruce, when it comes to having members of his own family on the team he tends to be a bit reluctant. He's voted no several times to having Nightwing on the team, what makes anyone think he'd be okay with his wife being there. I also have a feeling that it would just add to contention, given that, if they have a fight it's better for him to get away from her for a while then to have her there with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    It's still theft, and that would still be seen by certain league members as a big no no. Also it depends on who is writing her in regard to being a look out for the poor in Gotham. Key word here being mostly as she's been known to betray others and that would be something I can see Green Lantern and Cyborg not being too thrilled about.

Also, as many have pointed out regarding Bruce, when it comes to having members of his own family on the team he tends to be a bit reluctant. He's voted no several times to having Nightwing on the team, what makes anyone think he'd be okay with his wife being there. I also have a feeling that it would just add to contention, given that, if they have a fight it's better for him to get away from her for a while then to have her there with him.

Thank you for saying that. I don't get how some can be so blase about stealing or when it became acceptable to take what isn't yours. I don't see members of the league being okay with stealing but they had had reformed villains on the league so can join I just don't understand why she should join the league just because Batman. if anything she should join the staff at Wayne Enterprises.

Even better pick a charity and devote to it Princess Di style.

I like Selina having a naughty edge I don't want her to become a hero. That's not as interesting to me but I suspect I'm in the minority
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-07-2018 at 07:00 PM.

The League worked alongside Lex Luthor for an excruciatingly long time. Lex is a no-BS murderer and a psychopath. If they could work with him, I'd say they can work with a thief who at least occasionally does good things.

They may not be "okay" with Selina's stealing, but they may be willing to overlook it at times when necessary, much the same way that Bruce does.

Also? I haven't been following the story too closely, but has it been established whether or not Selina intends to continue stealing? If the marriage involves her at least making an effort to reform, that could also earn her tolerance from the League. Everyone deserves a chance to improve themselves, after all.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 05-07-2018 at 07:42 PM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The League worked alongside Lex Luthor for an excruciatingly long time. Lex is a no-BS murderer and a psychopath. If they could work with him, I'd say they can work with a thief who at least occasionally does good things.

They may not be "okay" with Selina's stealing, but they may be willing to overlook it at times when necessary, much the same way that Bruce does.

Also? I haven't been following the story too closely, but has it been established whether or not Selina intends to continue stealing? If the marriage involves her at least making an effort to reform, that could also earn her tolerance from the League. Everyone deserves a chance to improve themselves, after all.
    It hasn't really said, but I doubt anyone would mind if she stole from people like Penguin and what not.

BANNED

I don't believe Selina is a meta-human, so the League would have no need for her.

BANNED

I am going to say no to Cat as a JL Member.

I rather Bruce and Catwoman still have a sense of different jobs. Bruce already looses too much focus worrying about Her, Joining Justice League won't be good and will stress him out more as a vigilante.

Catwoman was always a strong person and her own woman. She does not have to be tagged with Bruce all the time just because they are married.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I don't believe Selina is a meta-human, so the League would have no need for her.
    Bruce is no meta human. They still have plenty of need for him.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So the question would be what Justice League need her for.
    In the interactions, I saw that she's their infiltrator and security tester. When you need to break in and out of someplace heavily guarded, like a supervillain stronghold or getting government secrets, she's your gal.
    Next question would be, is it enough to warrant membership instead of the occasional guest star, when Batman himself often handle infiltration while the heavy hitters are distracting the villains?

I don't think Selina and Bruce would be any more redundant than the Mera and Aquaman or Hawkwoman and Hawkman were both on the team. I get having different power sets to address different foes and that's how teams have historically "worked," but their relationship and her skills more than make up the differences between her and Bruce or say Green Arrow.

Regardless of her abilities (or lack of superpowers), the dynamic alone of having a married Batman on a team when he's often been depicted as a loner amongst his teammates is reason enough to want to see Selina interact with the other Leaguers on missions.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don't think Selina and Bruce would be any more redundant than the Mera and Aquaman or Hawkwoman and Hawkman were both on the team. I get having different power sets to address different foes and that's how teams have historically "worked," but their relationship and her skills more than make up the differences between her and Bruce or say Green Arrow.

Regardless of her abilities (or lack of superpowers), the dynamic alone of having a married Batman on a team when he's often been depicted as a loner amongst his teammates is reason enough to want to see Selina interact with the other Leaguers on missions.
    See part of the reason that I have against this idea of Catwoman being on the JL is the fact that she'll be seen as the wife of Batman. Lois, MJ, Steve,etc. work as civilian love interests because they can partly be defined by their relationship to Clark and Diana and Peter. They were created not as a costumed hero, but someone to help define the human side of the hero.

Selina was created as an antagonist for Bruce and defined as a solo character not used to help define an aspect of his life. The same reason why it's not a great idea to have Wonder woman dating Superman. She, because of the way people look at it, becomes Superman's girlfriend rather than Wonder Woman. The same thing is happening to Selina now. She's being defined as "Bruce's wife" which will plague her even when she's not being connected to him.

As for Lex, wasn't that when he was president? So not a choice in the matter. Also, last I checked, Clark was pretty against it along with batman.

See part of the reason that I have against this idea of Catwoman being on the JL is the fact that she'll be seen as the wife of Batman. Lois, MJ, Steve,etc. work as civilian love interests because they can partly be defined by their relationship to Clark and Diana and Peter. They were created not as a costumed hero, but someone to help define the human side of the hero.

Selina was created as an antagonist for Bruce and defined as a solo character not used to help define an aspect of his life. The same reason why it's not a great idea to have Wonder woman dating Superman. She, because of the way people look at it, becomes Superman's girlfriend rather than Wonder Woman. The same thing is happening to Selina now. She's being defined as "Bruce's wife" which will plague her even when she's not being connected to him.

As for Lex, wasn't that when he was president? So not a choice in the matter. Also, last I checked, Clark was pretty against it along with batman.
    Nope. The Lex incident I was talking about was during the New 52 (still technically canon) just a couple years ago. He actually JOINED the League at that time.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, having a Robin Hood-esque thief on the team, compared to Lex, would be a lot easier for the League to adjust to.

But knowing her character, I just don't see Selina full on joining the League. Helping out when the need calls for it, sure. But I don't see her wanting to be in the League.

See, I think being the wife of Batman would be interesting to explore in relationship to the Justice League characters. It's a huge status quo change for the personality of Bruce and I don't think Selina would ever allow anyone to think of her just as the wife of Batman. I don't see her letting that fly with any character - whether Leaguer or Gotham villain - but it'd be interesting to see that play out if Hal or Vic or Barry attempted to put her in that position. It's not in Selina's character to be marginalized like that - she's too tenacious a person, too powerful a figure, and too big an icon.

It'd obviously depend on the creative team working on her, but I'd approach it as part of the story to tell that reinforces her Catwoman identity and not one solely in relationship to Batman. At least I'd find that an interesting story to tell and read.

I guess I'm not as beholden to the idea that Selina is only being defined as being Bruce's wife throughout this whole wedding arc. Sure, that's an important aspect of the story - how Bruce is feeling and changing -, but my read is that they're co-leads in the book and we're getting some growth in Selina too and it's not at her expense.

But you're right, when a woman character isn't fully realized in a relationship, it gets boring fast. I wasn't against Superman and Wonder Woman dating for a while in the DCnU (because I knew it wouldn't last), until they got into it and didn't do anything interesting with it. Clark and Diana together should have changed and freaked out the DCU at large - civilians, heroes, and especially villains. The two most powerful beings on the planet were having a romantic relationship and the storytelling and world-building on that was lackluster, costing Diana's character more than Clark's in my opinion. A missed opportunity. (I also was of the mindset of putting Steve Trevor and Lois Lane together as a couple at that time as a juxtaposition to the SuperWonder romance. Another missed opportunity - even if I'm the only one who thinks so.)

I hope writers don't take the approach you're talking about with Catwoman. She's one of DC's hugest icons and they have the opportunity to tell a story here that's equally about Batman AND Catwoman.