Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought it was great. Theo's human form is different than what I thought it would be.
    Yeah, I was confused about it. He looks a bit too young out of drag. But that’s probably because of Sandoval’s style.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That was a very solid first issue. I’m excited to know more about Malik.
    I’m sad that this is not really an ongoing, thought. I didn’t know it’s a limited series until I saw the cover.
    Same about everything! I kind of fell in love with Malik this issue.

I'm also very bummed about the limited series. I hope that it does very well so Priest can get a second year!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Malik's lines are real bad and I'm afraid that it might ruin the entire thing for me.
    I didn't find him that bad but I could see how his cocky swagger could be cringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting him to look so young or like a pretty boy. I thought his human form was supposed to be identical to his adult form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, I was confused about it. He looks a bit too young out of drag. But that’s probably because of Sandoval’s style.
    I just pictured his human form as an older dude because of how 52 ended.

Billy changed his power word so he was stuck as an older frail man till he figured it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Also, I feel like they were trying to compare Malik to Theo in terms of arrogance. Maybe I’m just reading into things but you can definitely see something there in comparing how Theo/Adam is just really annoyed having to be in front of congress as the leader of Khandaq and how annoyed Malik seems not being respected as a doctor or as he’s being questioned about the assassination. Again maybe it’s just me reading into things.

Also are we supposed to call him Malik White or Malik Adam-White?
    I thought Adam was his middle name.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-21-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned this elsewhere but I’m wondering if the reform group and the Fourth World attack are connected. Perhaps the rebel group made contact with Apokolips through Intergang? That would be a way to synergize with the movie while still maintaining the story’s focus. The reform group plots to assassinate Adam and install Malik as a puppet ruler until they can make Kahndaq a democracy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I actually liked this issue
    Surprised all the conventions of Priests writing style are here but it works much better with solo characters than it does with team books
    Malik is a descendant of Adam how does that work? Did his family line continue somehow?

I'm confused but hey I'm glad Adam is getting a proper Black adam family

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I actually liked this issue
    Surprised all the conventions of Priests writing style are here but it works much better with solo characters than it does with team books
    Malik is a descendant of Adam how does that work? Did his family line continue somehow?

I'm confused but hey I'm glad Adam is getting a proper Black adam family
    Well, he already had one, but I think Priest is considering them still dead.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Honestly I thought Malik was just exaggerating his way of speech because of the situation. Like he trying to act “extra black” to mess with the white supremacist he was dealing with and then got more exaggerated as he was getting arrested and then dealing with the weird Khandaq stuff. Although whether it’s an exaggeration or not will remain to be seen next issue.
    Yeah, I read it the same way,

(Might be because I've done this a lot, though. XD)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he already had one, but I think Priest is considering them still dead.
    I think they are still dead in general, Black Adam says Adrianna is dead in Dark Crisis #1
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I loved the whole thing. Maybe it's just because I'm ancient, but Malik's dialogue struck me as very strong - I could really hear him talking. I definitely didn't get the sense that he was supposed to be cool - more a nervous jabbermouth.

Sandoval's art was just amazing. I really, really hope that he's on all 12 issues (and that this team gets a season two like Swamp Thing did!)
    The usual suspects are already throwing fits about Malik-elsewhere.

Anyway I think he was talking like that based on each situation. Especially to that first person (with a spoiler reason).

If anything Malik was talking like Marlon Wayans Ripcord from GI Joe (more the comic book version).

Overall I really enjoyed it. I love Black Adam and Priest has written some amazing books throughout his career so this was highly anticipated.

The plot was great and I enjoyed Desaad getting to play a big role in Adam’s “death”. It’s been a long time since the sadistic god of torture did anything significant in the DCU. Though I still hate that New 52 demonic look they gave him. He’s much creepier as greasy haired Dr. Mengelee type.

I like that Priest is touching on the fact that these comic book kingdoms always overlook democracy.

I totally agree with everyone who said that Malik’s dialogue was really bad. Very forced. I believe Priest is 60 years old and it definitely came off like a 60 year old trying to speak like a 20 year old. I understand that he was trying to show that Malik as a character is brash but I hope he tones it down in future issues.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-21-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "Affirmative action, bee-yotch!"
    Please tell me you just made that up
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Please tell me you just made that up
    No that’s real dialogue in the comic, but the context is that he’s antagonizing a patient of his who is a white supremacist so my interpretation as I said earlier is that he’s laying it on thick so as to PO the guy. Like the character in that scene is meant to be “I’ll help you because I’m a doctor, but since I hate you, I’m going to mess with you.”

By the way we know he’s a supremacist because of his tattoos. One being the eagle/hawk that you’d see in WW2 imagery of Nazis, the other one I’m unaware of.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-21-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Considering how long Adam has lived, Malik may even not be the only one.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Honestly I thought Malik was just exaggerating his way of speech because of the situation. Like he trying to act “extra black” to mess with the white supremacist he was dealing with and then got more exaggerated as he was getting arrested and then dealing with the weird Khandaq stuff. Although whether it’s an exaggeration or not will remain to be seen next issue.
    ^This.

Also, I'm digging the world building, but I am hoping to see the other "Wizards" show up, maybe Billy or Mary at least. I especially hope to see Darla show up, given that she is the first African-American to get the magic of SHAZAM! in this continuity. I give this issue an 8. I never give anything a perfect score in my rating system, which means me scoring the first issue as such an "excellent" score on my part. Until next time...

Even with the hitches that some other folks mentioned?

This was the most promising "DC Comics Is Involved..." title since The Wild Storm wrapped up.