Page 75 of 131 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1963

Yeah, there's only one character who'd need an actress that young - Moon Girl, who's only 9 in the comics. Everyone else would be at least mid teens and quite possibly a case of the actor being older than their character (as it sounds like Kate will be). As for the ethnicity, America just needs to be black and the actress needs to be able to speak the language. They don't need to actually be Puerto-Rican.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    News about MAC appearing in the Doctor Strange movie have resurfaced: https://thedirect.com/article/doctor...ca-chavez-role

They seem pretty sure that's America, but I don't know... that casting call description is weird. A puerto-rican actress from ages 12-15? That sounds... unnecessary for a character like America. The actress being specifically puerto-rican when America's ethnicity is very ambiguous is the first odd thing to me, and then the age... why would they need someone as young as 12 for the role? America was never that young in comics. IIRC, she debuted at the age of 16 (and Gillen later aged her up to be older than all the other Young Avengers), so the call doesn't even encompass that. And that doesn't mesh well at all with recent news about Hailee Steinfeld, who is 23/24, playing Kate. It doesn't make any sense that the age range for America is so much younger in comparison to Kate like that. I don't doubt the casting call exists, but I have my doubts if it's really supposed to be America. Unless they are really changing her for the MCU, for some reason... which I dislike it. Older America is better.
    My first thought is that maybe this is the casting call for a flashback of younger America in the Utopian Parallel(or whatever possible dimension she could be from in the MCU). This site isn't the same one that reported the previous casting call, they're implying it's the same one with just more information but they're probably just assuming. And maybe older America has already been cast with a puerto-rican actress, and this is why they're specifying it on this one.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, there's only one character who'd need an actress that young - Moon Girl, who's only 9 in the comics. Everyone else would be at least mid teens and quite possibly a case of the actor being older than their character (as it sounds like Kate will be). As for the ethnicity, America just needs to be black and the actress needs to be able to speak the language. They don't need to actually be Puerto-Rican.
    I don't think America has ever been established to be black in the comics, otherwise I'm sure this would be something that comes up often like it has for Miles Morales. I think she's basically just depicted as a brown latina. I wouldn't mind an afro-latina for live-action, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    My first thought is that maybe this is the casting call for a flashback of younger America in the Utopian Parallel(or whatever possible dimension she could be from in the MCU). This site isn't the same one that reported the previous casting call, they're implying it's the same one with just more information but they're probably just assuming. And maybe older America has already been cast with a puerto-rican actress, and this is why they're specifying it on this one.
    Now THAT makes sense. Hopefully that's the case.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Wonder if they'll maintain Billy's connection to the Utopian Parallel, and even further, if the Utopian Parallel will appear as comic accurate (aka lesbian paradise)? That's a lot of gay for Disney to handle.

I hope they don't do whatever the hell was going on in America's solo. She was retconned to be from some planet instead of the Parallel right? And she just escaped to the Parallel?

Since America got her powers from exposure to the Demiurge (unless that was also retconned, if you couldn't tell, I never bothered to read the solo) will they MCU-Carol her and make it something different?

And the age thing.... I definitely agree that they may be going for a flashback version. I know they wouldn't pass up the queerbait- I mean, friendship between her and Kate, and since Kate's probably gonna be around Cassie's age in universe, I don't think they'd go so young.

oh good gawd, the SOLO was just..... I can't.

I was so pleased with the explanation that series provided for how she adopted the LATINX culture, and then it all went bonkers.

I haven't read anything Empyre, does Billy have a good showing in it? I usually avoid events like the plague but this one centers around Teddy so i'm conflicted.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Billy only showed up in Empyre, outside of the Emperor Hulkling tie-in, at the end of issue 4, so honestly, it's too early to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't think America has ever been established to be black in the comics, otherwise I'm sure this would be something that comes up often like it has for Miles Morales.
    That's because technically, she's an alien.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Billy only showed up in Empyre, outside of the Emperor Hulkling tie-in, at the end of issue 4, so honestly, it's too early to say.

Yeah. She’s like Superman coming from Krypton and settling in with white middle age rural farmers. He looked like them.

America is an extra-dimensiaonal being/alien who came to Earth and took to LatinX cultures (all of the them) and she looks like them.

She’s not black

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I haven't read anything Empyre, does Billy have a good showing in it? I usually avoid events like the plague but this one centers around Teddy so i'm conflicted.

Yeah buddy, Billy isn't in the first 3 issues.
    Really hoping issue 5 gives us some exciting Billy battle content!

Thanks guys, i'll check it out
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah. She’s like Superman coming from Krypton and settling in with white middle age rural farmers. He looked like them.

America is an extra-dimensiaonal being/alien who came to Earth and took to LatinX cultures (all of the them) and she looks like them.

She’s not black
    Bear in mind this discussion started in reference to casting for TV/film though. The character is something nobody is in real life. She has brown skin and curly hair, those are black traits.

Extraordinary Member

Bear in mind this discussion started in reference to casting for TV/film though. The character is something nobody is in real life. She has brown skin and curly hair, those are black traits.
    Not necessarily. I’ve seen real life Hispanics/Latinx with those traits

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Wonder if they'll maintain Billy's connection to the Utopian Parallel, and even further, if the Utopian Parallel will appear as comic accurate (aka lesbian paradise)? That's a lot of gay for Disney to handle.

I hope they don't do whatever the hell was going on in America's solo. She was retconned to be from some planet instead of the Parallel right? And she just escaped to the Parallel?

Since America got her powers from exposure to the Demiurge (unless that was also retconned, if you couldn't tell, I never bothered to read the solo) will they MCU-Carol her and make it something different?

And the age thing.... I definitely agree that they may be going for a flashback version. I know they wouldn't pass up the queerbait- I mean, friendship between her and Kate, and since Kate's probably gonna be around Cassie's age in universe, I don't think they'd go so young.
    I really don't know what they're gonna do with America in the MCU, honestly. I think it's easy to keep the ''she comes from another dimension'' part, but everything other than that... who knows? And the fact that they might be introducing her so close to the other Young Avengers makes me question how much she will be connected to Billy. I think it would be very strange to do the whole Utopian Parallel connection that early on, because Billy needs to be developed as a character first before you go all ''oh, he's going to grow up to be a god someday''. We don't even know IF Billy will be that powerful in the MCU to begin with, because they are known for nerfing a ton of their characters. Unless it's a very slow burn type of story, they might scrap his connection to America altogether, which would be a pity.

And her solo book didn't retcon her connection to the UP and the Demiurge, actually. It just added some extra bits. She was still born there and got some of her powers from the ambient magic, but we find out that one of her moms was actually a refugee from another planet. And I think it's only her star portals that she inherited from that side of the family, since her grandmother also has that ability.

I'm not completely sold on the idea that she's 100% alien (but that's a whole other discussion).... Anyway, my point was just about the way she is physically drawn. I don't think she was particularly meant to look like a black person the same way the white Kree are meant to look like caucasians, for instance. If she was supposed to be a stand-in for black people, I think Marvel would've probably made a bigger deal about that by selling her as an afro-latina instead of just latina. Now, of course, not all black people look the same and some of them have lighter skin and could look like America, but again, I just don't think that was Marvel's intention, based on how they promote the character.

As for the live-action, as long as they cast a latina that's not white/white-passing for the role, I think it'll be fine.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-07-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post

Much respect for using the Curb gif.

I love Empyre! I usually don't enjoy events, but this one is very good! TEDDY!

Extraordinary Member

With Marvel Comics 1000 and the wedding scenes...is Eli back in play??