Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    None of that erases the work he's done that is well regarded, like Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
    Also, the Superman line needs a shakeup to gets things moving again. It's performing well, but it's not the talk of the comic book world and hasn't been for a LONG time. The risk is worth it if this is the shot in the arm it needs.
    When you bring up the good vs bad look at the time line of his work.
    Then look at the quantity of good vs bad.
    Then look at the nature of the content.

Bendis has written anything good in atleast 10 years.
    He's written more bad than good.
    His good is pretty much entirely street level.
    The risk isn't worth anything if Iron Man is anything to go by. So lets say he gets people to talk about Superman by revealing that he's Zod's son adopted by Kents or maybe he has Superman replaced by Wee Wee Williams aka Supermaiden. I'm sure people will talk about that too. Besides when did internet chatter become a measure of success. No one talks about Harley in all my years of browsing but her book sells.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    None of that erases the work he's done that is well regarded, like Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
    Also, the Superman line needs a shakeup to gets things moving again. It's performing well, but it's not the talk of the comic book world and hasn't been for a LONG time. The risk is worth it if this is the shot in the arm it needs.
    The only instances Bendis made anyone talk about Spider-Man or with Iron Man lately was by replacing Peter and Tony with Miles Morales and Riri Williams, or by adding Mary Jane to Stark's supporting cast (and doing nothing with her).

Why does Superman always need to be the talk of the town? If it's doing well right now, why fix what's not broken? Just so a bunch of people can get their jollies out of the same hackneyed drama stereotypes they can easily get from Marvel? We've seen how badly they're doing because they piss the fans off.

I want Bendis to succeed and attract new audiences, but this obsession with making "everyone talk" ultimately leads to poor decisions and cheap stunts. We don't need a twist, just tell a good and empowering story.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-11-2018 at 09:26 AM.

BANNED

Yup and I've been racking brains and trying to remember when he legit made people talk. It goes like,

People "talk" when Bendis is announced for all the wrong reasons because Bendis.
    Then there's a lull when he's on the book because usually nothing happens in Bendis comics beyond awful Bendis speak and terribly decompressed storylines.
    Then he introduces a lame stunt which enrages people.

Rinse and repeat.

Spider Man and Daredevil are street level characters, Bendis is good at writing characters like that. Superman is the strongest being on the planet, so far above street level guys and Bendis hasn't done anything worth mentioning afaik with characters on that level. Bendis might write a great Clark Kent but I am not convinced he can write Superman. I will give him a fair chance, if he messed up, I would be dropping Superman for the first time since new52.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It really could be either or, lol.
    Perhaps a bit of both?

But really, the only thing that concerns me about Bendis so far is this "big reveal" he's got planned. That sounds....dubious......to me. Big reveals usually do not benefit Superman. Like the time we waited for years to find out who Oz was. Or the time we found out Byrne's Krypton was really an elaborate lie told for....reasons.

There's nothing here to fix, Bendis. The franchise is in solid shape. Dont screw with that, and just tell a good damn story. That's the magic Superman needs; quality, not spectacle.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I don’t have any problem with a writer exploring the various ways that marriage and family can be challenging. That’s not actually what makes me nervous at all.

What makes me nervous is that middle aged men don’t have a great history in the way they approach these kinds of issues. I’m not worried about challenges being explored as much as I’m rightfully (from years of experience as a Superman fan) concerned about Bendis being able to put his ego aside long enough to acknowledge that it might help to have input from women with the way he treats Lois. I’m worried distinctly that her POV will be lost or misinterpreted or that she will be thrown under the bus. It’s evdn more concerning given that Bendis seems intent on focusing on Clark as a journalist. That’s great! I would love that. But in the era of #metoo, one would hope that Bendis would have the wisdom to capitalize on the ways in which female journalists are literally changing the world right now and not take that away from Lois.

Basically I don’t think the concept is bad. I just don’t have faith that a middle aged man is capable of telling this Story without Lois getting hurt in some capacity. When we talk about needing to see more diverse perspectives behind the desk at DC....it’s actually stories like this that we are talking about. And I don’t think I or any other woman needs to just “wait and see” at this point because we’ve been told that a million times before and we know how this goes.

Mainly, I’m just really letdown that so often these men have literally no plans for Lois unless it involves some kind of disrespect. The last big arc that truly featured her was “Truth” which did nothing but put her as a source of controversy. Now, we hear she may play a large role again but it’s got the stink on it of some kind of worrying relationship discord. Do you see the pattern here? These men never care about her unless she’s providing controversy of some kind. After 80 years, she just deserves better.

You know what would really be a powerful story? Let Lois and Clark work together as a team fighting outside forces of corruption. Let them both struggle in the ways husbands and wives do with how hard life can be but do not pit them against each other, don’t take cheap shots, and let women have input and POV so that the narrative is fair. Don’t use her as a source of stress. Don’t tease tension because she deserves so much BETTER than that being your great idea. I would love to think that Bendis understands all of this but I’m not sure he does.

I just have zero faith that Lois will ever be treated fairly or as she should be while men are running the show. I feel the exact same way about Wonder Woman. So until we have a more equal seat at the table? I just brace for the next hit and hope for the least possible crappy outcome that causes the least amount of long term damage to the women I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Perhaps a bit of both?

But really, the only thing that concerns me about Bendis so far is this "big reveal" he's got planned. That sounds....dubious......to me. Big reveals usually do not benefit Superman. Like the time we waited for years to find out who Oz was. Or the time we found out Byrne's Krypton was really an elaborate lie told for....reasons.

There's nothing here to fix, Bendis. The franchise is in solid shape. Dont screw with that, and just tell a good damn story. That's the magic Superman needs; quality, not spectacle.
    The big reveal is someone deliberately blew up krypton. My prediction

I agree. And that's...iffy. We'll see. Its not a completely foreign idea; TAS had elements of it in the sense that the doom was natural, but Brainiac prevented escape (the best way its been handled, imo), Earth One went all-in completely on deliberate genocide with mixed results, and Johns teased it with Brainiac pre-FP, but like most of Johns' Superman ideas that aren't just out right bad, this one just went unresolved.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    When you bring up the good vs bad look at the time line of his work.
    Then look at the quantity of good vs bad.
    Then look at the nature of the content.

Bendis has written anything good in atleast 10 years.
    He's written more bad than good.
    His good is pretty much entirely street level.
    The risk isn't worth anything if Iron Man is anything to go by. So lets say he gets people to talk about Superman by revealing that he's Zod's son adopted by Kents or maybe he has Superman replaced by Wee Wee Williams aka Supermaiden. I'm sure people will talk about that too. Besides when did internet chatter become a measure of success. No one talks about Harley in all my years of browsing but her book sells.
    I doubt DC would let him do anything that screwy. DC doesn't give as much of a **** about Superman as they should, and Bendis may be a big get for them, but he isn't the top dog he was at Marvel. He's new to the universe. Any idea like that may be shut down by Johns.

I also haven't followed Marvel or Bendis for quite some time, so he hasn't done anything to burn me (not yet, anyway). So I really couldn't care less about his previous output.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Why does Superman always need to be the talk of the town? If it's doing well right now, why fix what's not broken? Just so a bunch of people can get their jollies out of the same hackneyed drama stereotypes they can easily get from Marvel? We've seen how badly they're doing because they piss the fans off.

I want Bendis to succeed and attract new audiences, but this obsession with making "everyone talk" ultimately leads to poor decisions and cheap stunts. We don't need a twist, just tell a good and empowering story.
    You do realize that there are ways to get people excited about the Superman line and having shakeups that don't automatically mean we are getting something controversial or cheap? YMMV of course, but something like the explosion of popularity GL got when Johns was on the books, which didn't require a reboot or anything too controversial (aside from the fans who just hate Hal Jordan with a passion, but...meh). Superman hasn't had anything like that in eons. He's the first name in comics, I would kind of hope we should be aiming for something more than "pretty good."

Bendis is far from my first choice for this. I wanted DC to get Hickman and put him on the character, but nothing came of that rumor (...yet? Please God). I would also love if Gerard Way/Young Animal got to take over the character, because his brief cameos/mentions in that corner were great without doing anything scandalous. Way can channel Morrison very well and that's the kind of energy I think the character thrives on. I don't think Bendis is that type, which is disappointing, but maybe he'll surprise me.

Basically, much like Sacred Knight, I am just so bored by what's happening now that I'm willing to give Bendis a shot even though I'm not 100% confident it will be great. And I don't think a reboot or getting rid of the marriage or Jon (even though I wouldn't shed many tears, especially in the latter case) are necessary to give Supes the boost he needs.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    The last big arc that truly featured her was “Truth” which did nothing but put her as a source of controversy. Now, we hear she may play a large role again but it’s got the stink on it of some kind of worrying relationship discord. Do you see the pattern here? These men never care about her unless she’s providing controversy of some kind. After 80 years, she just deserves better.
    I'm not sure if you heard the interview yourself or if you're just getting the info secondhand from here, but I feel like it's more than worth noting that Bendis flat out says the marriage is “the eighth-most interesting thing about her.” It's also worth noting that he his comments on the marriage being a source of worry were far more general, and seemed to be only in the interest of highlighting how delicate and beautiful a balance Lois and Clark have to strike and maintain daily. And if the marriage is only like number 8 on The Most Interesting Things About Lois list then I can't imagine he intends for any sort of relationship strains to take up too much of her time.

Super strange how no one felt like mentioning he said that during the interview. But anyways, he was also pretty clear in thinking that she is "the most fearless character in comics."
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet so didn't get that quote. That's another thing I agree with. As much as I dislike the marriage, in a continuity where they are married, that's about the best I could hope for from a creator, someone who recognizes that she's still an individual character who captivated audiences for over 60 years before she became a wife.

So yeah, saying the right things. But then again just for comparison, I remember liking all the JMS interviews before Grounded thinking he was saying all the right things. So this is no guarantee of anything in terms of quality, I very much understand.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I haven't listened to the whole thing yet so didn't get that quote. That's another thing I agree with. As much as I dislike the marriage, in a continuity where they are married, that's about the best I could hope for from a creator, someone who recognizes that she's still an individual character who captivated audiences for over 60 years before she became a wife.

So yeah, saying the right things. But then again just for comparison, I remember liking all the JMS interviews before Grounded thinking he was saying all the right things. So this is no guarantee of anything in terms of quality, I very much understand.
    If memory serves me right, as if most of his portion of Grounded wasn't bad enough, JMS' attempt at relationship drama wasn't very popular either.

Which is sad because his handling of Peter and MJ's drama was a highlight of his early run on ASM

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm not sure if you heard the interview yourself or if you're just getting the info secondhand from here, but I feel like it's more than worth noting that Bendis flat out says the marriage is “the eighth-most interesting thing about her.” It's also worth noting that he his comments on the marriage being a source of worry were far more general, and seemed to be only in the interest of highlighting how delicate and beautiful a balance Lois and Clark have to strike and maintain daily. And if the marriage is only like number 8 on The Most Interesting Things About Lois list then I can't imagine he intends for any sort of relationship strains to take up too much of her time.

Super strange how no one felt like mentioning he said that during the interview. But anyways, he was also pretty clear in thinking that she is "the most fearless character in comics."
    Frankly, I don't remember hearing that line, or I would have put it on there. I wasn't trying to mis inform people with my bullet points, I just put what I thought was most interesting. And maybe that's my fault for the miscommunication, since people seem to be stealing my summary and posting it on 4chan and other sites.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Don't take it as a slight against you (or anyone else). I didn't mean it that way. It makes sense that after hearing a 2 hour interview one wouldn't remember every little detail. I just so happen to listen to that part a second time during a run.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Don't take it as a slight against you (or anyone else). I didn't mean it that way. It makes sense that after hearing a 2 hour interview one wouldn't remember every little detail. I just so happen to listen to that part a second time during a run.
    Yeah, I get it, I plan on listening to it again to at least get the part where Bendis talks about his current health since I skipped out my first time. Did he say anything else about Lois besides the marriage and being fearless? I'm trying to remember myself.