Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    35 seconds in 4 songs and a "with" credit is not what i was looking for.

I wanted actual songs written and performed in at least half the soundtrack. I know that Marvel wants to get more marketing with popular artist in the US but at least have enough so it can have an atmosphere of it being somewhere in Africa.
    no one cares what you want

the movie isn't FOR YOU

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

the movie isn't FOR YOU
    what he wants is an excuse to bitch about another superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    BInGO! Lol. I for one think getting 1 of the biggest artist in Music at the moment to make and produce and entire soundtrack is pretty cool on Marvels part. There are much cheaper ways they coulda gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    For anyone that's interested, here's the Black Panther soundtrack on Spotify.

Movies themselves can be powerful. After all, there's a section of the National Library of Congress that preserves them. Movies can be causes for celebration, or create tradition (how many Christmas movies are there?), or ignite imagination, or be strong commentary. They're just as valid as literature and television in that regard.

With that said, this is likely the first (if not the first) to really get Afro-Futurism, to really center the power of Black people, the first movie on this scale with a crew primarily of Black labor and talent, and as IronLegion said, the first Western film to really emphasize Africa as a positive.

Heck, even if we take this from Stan Lee's perspective, to paraphrase elsewhere: "he and other creators are inspired to create a fictional African black nation that is both a cultural and technological wonder, headed by a scientific genius king who fights crime and evil. He is not a sidekick. He is not comic relief. He isn't even a poor black boy from the ghetto who, through his own grit, rises to the level of poor white people. He is a king. From Africa. From a wondrous nation every bit the Ancient Greece heralded by the bigoted white people of the day as the reason for the cultural and civilized evolutionary superiority of white people over blacks.

Imagine you do all that. Imagine the racist hate mail that arrives in droves. Now imagine you live to 95 years of age to see the world not only accept it, but film it with panche and wonder and you get to watch the world love it."

It may just be a movie to you, but don't try to damper people's spirit and enthusiasm about it because "it's just a movie." Movies can be immensely influential and representative, but moreso, while there have been Black heroes in the past, no Hollywood movie has ever elevated Black culture and community to such visibility with such force before.
    Boom! 'Nuff said!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Movies themselves can be powerful. After all, there's a section of the National Library of Congress that preserves them. Movies can be causes for celebration, or create tradition (how many Christmas movies are there?), or ignite imagination, or be strong commentary. They're just as valid as literature and television in that regard.

With that said, this is likely the first (if not the first) to really get Afro-Futurism, to really center the power of Black people, the first movie on this scale with a crew primarily of Black labor and talent, and as IronLegion said, the first Western film to really emphasize Africa as a positive.

Heck, even if we take this from Stan Lee's perspective, to paraphrase elsewhere: "he and other creators are inspired to create a fictional African black nation that is both a cultural and technological wonder, headed by a scientific genius king who fights crime and evil. He is not a sidekick. He is not comic relief. He isn't even a poor black boy from the ghetto who, through his own grit, rises to the level of poor white people. He is a king. From Africa. From a wondrous nation every bit the Ancient Greece heralded by the bigoted white people of the day as the reason for the cultural and civilized evolutionary superiority of white people over blacks.

Imagine you do all that. Imagine the racist hate mail that arrives in droves. Now imagine you live to 95 years of age to see the world not only accept it, but film it with panche and wonder and you get to watch the world love it."

It may just be a movie to you, but don't try to damper people's spirit and enthusiasm about it because "it's just a movie." Movies can be immensely influential and representative, but moreso, while there have been Black heroes in the past, no Hollywood movie has ever elevated Black culture and community to such visibility with such force before.
    NICELY PUT!

I haven't gone to see a Marvel movie in the theater since Deadpool and I'm not sure what the last MCU movie I saw in the theater was as opposed to waiting for Netflix. But I'll definitely see this one. Not the first week but after the initial rush and there are seats available without being totally packed. This promises to be more than just another superhero movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm not dampering people's spirits whatever thats sopost to mean I'm just saying my opinion just like people are saying there's i told the same thing to ppl back in the day when they were saying avatar was a game changer or Wonder woman I mean no offense to you or others it's just my opinion.
    Last edited by choptop; 02-09-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Perhaps you should explicitly say that instead of saying, "So i was right in my first assumption and no are not going to get any music from African artist?"

You assumed there were no African artists on the soundtrack. You were wrong.

Maybe in the future you can list the all the requirements the soundtrack needs to meet to get the Sighphi seal of approval before it comes out. Because right now it just looks like you're moving the goalposts.
    This is a discussion that started from the first trailer. I guess i should've done some sort of review about it.

I'm not moving goal posts. You can go to the BP trailer thread and find this argument there and actual examples i linked of the type of music i wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

the movie isn't FOR YOU
    Wanting a movie that takes place in Africa to have African music means the movie isnt for me?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Stop making stuff up.

I like AoU.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    BInGO! Lol. I for one think getting 1 of the biggest artist in Music at the moment to make and produce and entire soundtrack is pretty cool on Marvels part. There are much cheaper ways they coulda gone.
    That's the issue. It's so blatant that these are just decisions based on just marketing that it's sad.

Hopefully the instrumental track arent standard stuff and they do add some African flavour there instead of doing GotG soundtracks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'm not dampering people's spirits whatever thats sopost to mean I'm just saying my opinion just like people are saying there's i told the same thing to ppl back in the day when they were saying avatar was a game changer or Wonder woman I mean no offense to you or others it's just my opinion.
    Avatar was a game changer for the 3D market.
    Wonder Woman was a game changer for a pure successful female superhero movie.
    I am not too sure about Black Panther cuz he is doing nothing new. we already have had successful great superhero movies with a black actor. Don't really understand how Disney has managed to get away with marketing the film as the first black superhero movie. ever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    I am not too sure about Black Panther cuz he is doing nothing new. we already have had successful great superhero movies with a black actor. Don't really understand how Disney has managed to get away with marketing the film as the first black superhero movie. ever.
    He wasn’t marketed as the first black superhero.

There’s been other black superheroes but most of them in comedies and just one of them in a serious movie (if you can call Blade a superhero movie).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    ..I doubt the depiction of a fictional African nation is going challenge anyones view on how Africa really is.If anything it'll be used as ammunition. I.e 'there are no great African nations in real life,so they had to make one up'.

Regardless looking forward to the films.Probably be a couple of days before I see it though.
    Oh man, the attacks have already started. On YouTube and yahoo news, it’s like a hornet’s nest has been stirred.

Obviously, a lot of African countries have struggled in recent times (this wasn’t always the case) and there exists extreme poverty there but my point was focusing on Africa in pre-colonial times.

This movie might actually get some people to ask questions and do some real research to understand that Africans have never (and even now) don’t “live on trees” and that there has and is real development in Africa. It’s obviously not to the level of Wakanda but the movie is based on the assumption that a non-colonized African country could have been very rich and it’s quite possible we could have had some kingdoms like that (obviously without comic book super science); that is if they weren’t decimated by colonialism and slavery but that’s entirely hypothetical on my part.

It’s already a discussion that’s happening which is a good thing in my opinion.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This is a discussion that started from the first trailer. I guess i should've done some sort of review about it.

I'm not moving goal posts. You can go to the BP trailer thread and find this argument there and actual examples i linked of the type of music i wanted to see.

Wanting a movie that takes place in Africa to have African music means the movie isnt for me?

Stop making stuff up.

I like AoU.

That's the issue. It's so blatant that these are just decisions based on just marketing that it's sad.

Hopefully the instrumental track arent standard stuff and they do add some African flavour there instead of doing GotG soundtracks.
    But isn’t this argument extremely arbitrary?

What you’re saying is that Céline Dion shouldn’t have done the soundtrack of Titanic because she’s Canadian or that Brian Adams should never have done the soundtrack for Prince of Thieves because he’s Canadian also.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    But isn’t this argument extremely arbitrary?

What you’re saying is that Céline Dion shouldn’t have done the soundtrack of Titanic because she’s Canadian or that Brian Adams should never have done the soundtrack for Prince of Thieves because he’s Canadian also.
    Not just arbitrary.

If that is what you being able to really enjoy the film hinges on, how did you get to that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    True but with Avatar ppl were going on about it like it was going to be the end of all war I'm only joking a little bit! That's the type of game changer I'm taking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    He wasn’t marketed as the first black superhero.

There’s been other black superheroes but most of them in comedies and just one of them in a serious movie (if you can call Blade a superhero movie).
    Blade seems like a super hero to me so I don't see why not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    True but with Avatar ppl were going on about it like it was going to be the end of all war I'm only joking a little bit! That's the type of game changer I'm taking about.
    I didn't have the same experience with people on Avatar from the onset, I got the feeling people knew the film was incredibly overrated. the plot of the movie was widely criticised as been very dense and predictable. Avatar is not a James Cameron fan favourite the way Terminator II and Titanic are.