Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    This is such a perfect solution, I just fear they won't do it.
    I don't care for it, but I don't care for the entire premise of making her pre-date all the other heroes. I guess if they are going to do it, this is the least-worst solution. But it could be a sticky-wicket on continuity fairly quickly. Mind you, I don't like the Hawks's non-linear reincarnations, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'm temporally forgetting the indecipherable continuity and how it effects Wonder Woman's supporting cast for a second.

You want to make her over 100 years old fine, okay. But what irks me about it is she doesn't act her age, not emotionally or in any other way. She's had more than 4 times as much experience as Batman yet she sits back and lets him solve all the Justice League's problems. She's learned no detective skills in all that time? If everything is intact, why in the latest issue for example would she need Veronica Cale to figure out how Luthor enhanced the God Killer sword? She's a scientist in her own right and inventor of the Purple Healing Ray, she doesn't have access to a lab somewhere?

All the naivete, mistakes and bad decisions you'd forgive in a 20 something year old suddenly flies out the window when you're dealing with an immortal that should know better. Where's the emotional maturity, where's the wisdom? We all know from old people in our real lives that they love to tell stories about when they were young and how things were then. Unlike the Lynda Carter version who would sometimes make references to her long history, with current Diana you get no anecdotes about past battles or glory, no evidence of the breadth of what she's heard and seen. Even elderly people with dementia give you that, does she have a 50 first dates disorder where every day is brand new? If practice makes perfect where's the perfection?

She should be so much more savvy and capable than she is.
    Not that I like this latest origin but

1) She's never been known for being a detective so why would she be one now?

2) Where is it stated she's a scientist now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't care for it, but I don't care for the entire premise of making her pre-date all the other heroes. I guess if they are going to do it, this is the least-worst solution. But it could be a sticky-wicket on continuity fairly quickly. Mind you, I don't like the Hawks's non-linear reincarnations, either.
    It fixes so much without another reboot. We can get our Donna Troy fire origin, JSA stories, other romances besides Steve, the Duke of Deception, Paula Von Gunther, Red Panzer, Queen Clea and other classic villains that haven't appeared in Rebirth, Holiday College, etc. and bring all that history forward when she returns to the present day. It would also explain offhand information that's been referenced but doesn't fit in continuity, like how Hippolyta is the 10th Queen of the Amazons, or Themyscira taking in women from Man's World, you could even fit in I-Ching and the Mod era and make everything canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

1) If Nancy Drew, Jessica Fletcher and Miss Marple can gain detective skills simply through their innate intellect and proximity to crime, it stands to reason Diana would gain the ability over a vast amount of time.

2) It doesn't state it now but it should if her complete history is available, which was my point in mentioning it.

It fixes so much without another reboot. We can get our Donna Troy fire origin, JSA stories, other romances besides Steve, the Duke of Deception, Paula Von Gunther, Red Panzer, Queen Clea and other classic villains that haven't appeared in Rebirth, Holiday College, etc. and bring all that history forward when she returns to the present day. It would also explain offhand information that's been referenced but doesn't fit in continuity, like how Hippolyta is the 10th Queen of the Amazons, or Themyscira taking in women from Man's World, you could even fit in I-Ching and the Mod era and make everything canon.
    I don't care about a lot of those and for me Etta is the Holiday girl - none other than her matter. And I think this damages a lot for other characters, too. And for Diana, I just think it will be messier - all the other people she interacted with won't have the same movability in time, so it's going to screw them up (or rather not fix Diana's timeline of adventures with them). Plus, it will fundamentally change Wonder Woman to a time-travaller, someone who knows the future before it happens. That's bound to be a mess. You like it, great - I don't. I think it detracts more than it adds, and I really, like I said, don't like her as the first.

I'm reading the Golden Age WW omnibuses now. In the early issues they show that she invented the purple healing ray to save Steve when he crashed, and she mentions already having her own lab at that point.

Bleeding Cool has tried to decipher things from that blurry timeline/map:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...m-hell-arisen/
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I checked again. Gen 2 Year 10 Wonder Woman row Pre Crisis has "Diana loses powers"
    Fashion designer secret agent Diana Prince is canon XD

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

A part of me kinda wishes Hippolyta was who DC considered to be the first WW. That way DC could have the best of both worlds, a Wonder Woman that lived for hundreds of years and a Diana that was around the age of the rest of the DCU.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A part of me kinda wishes Hippolyta was who DC considered to be the first WW. That way DC could have the best of both worlds, a Wonder Woman that lived for hundreds of years and a Diana that was around the age of the rest of the DCU.
    I could also be down with this in having it be Hippolyta that rescues Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I'm reading the Golden Age WW omnibuses now. In the early issues they show that she invented the purple healing ray to save Steve when he crashed, and she mentions already having her own lab at that point.
    I know she was a scientist in the Golden Age. I'm asking why her being a superhero in WW2 according to this new timeline makes her a scientist.

1) If Nancy Drew, Jessica Fletcher and Miss Marple can gain detective skills simply through their innate intellect and proximity to crime, it stands to reason Diana would gain the ability over a vast amount of time.

2) It doesn't state it now but it should if her complete history is available, which was my point in mentioning it.
    Those characters actually trained to be detectives. Diana wasn't operating as a detective in WW2, she was a soldier which is something else entirely.

Those characters actually trained to be detectives. Diana wasn't operating as a detective in WW2, she was a soldier which is something else entirely.
    In Marston's early adventures, she spends more time traveling around the USA and busting up spy rings and solving mysteries than she does as a soldier. Now, her methods are usually very unorthodox, but one can certainly make a case that she used a lot of detecting skills.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

wonder-woman.jpg

She also worked with Micah Rains' detective agency when Artemis was Wonder Woman.

I stand corrected then. I will say, however, that being a detective is not as important to Diana's character as it is to Bruce. Plus her having a magic lasso that makes people tell the truth makes a detective story with her near pointless.