Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default You Don't Know Jack - Jack Monroe (Nomad) Appreciation

Image1.jpg

Yes, Jack Monroe was originally just another "Captain America" side kick - but I think when Fabian took him on and did the limited series then the full series - I thought the character got some good development. (Granted near the end of his ongoing series, it did get a little weird).

But he evolved, once again, at the hands of Fabian - as something more. He became the new Scourge, unlike the original (where it was the skull face) - to something more sinister looking. And not only that, he was using tech and gadgets from previous heroes and villains to fight Baron Zemo.

3111208-nomad.jpg

Then, once again, Marvel lets someone walk all over Fabian's work (sort of like New Warriors and Civil War) - and we see Jack Monroe, shot in the back by Winter Soldier, while stumbling out of a bar, drunk, and tossed into a trunk. (Some of the absolutely worse story telling in comic book history - he was killed for the sole purpose of removing any Captain America sidekicks!)

I would personally like to see Jack Monroe back. Maybe modernize him (chop off the long hair, if we must), and continue using all the gadgets he was using as Scourge and gun after villains using their own technology, and even going to a street level hero (which could bring in some guest appearances from folks like Punisher, Cloak & Dagger, etc) - once again, reclaiming the name Nomad (since he'd be completely solo, after these brief team ups).

I could even see him being extremely bitter at Captain America for being so forgiving of Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes) even if he was brainwashed. Could add some good tension there.
    Last edited by Adam-X; 09-27-2015 at 12:43 AM.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

First saw him in the Dead Man's Hand crossover with Punisher and Daredevil. Always a fan of him!! Absolutely HATED that they murdered him off in such a horrible manner.

It was extremely rare for a hero to have kids and he wandered around trying to keep a baby safe AND do good deeds helping where he could. It was a neat concept.

All to bring back BUCKY!?!? Horrible decisions all around there >.<

I first became aware of him during the Mike Zeck era in the 80's, when he first re-appeared (and Cap beat his ass on sight, assuming he was another Bucky imposter sent to screw with his head). I loved the character (have even read some of his 50's appearances), and held out hope that he wasn't really shot dead and left in the trunk of a car. By the true Bucky, no less. Jeez.

I know the Grand Director is still out there, somewhere...would be nice to see Jack back, as well.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    First saw him in the Dead Man's Hand crossover with Punisher and Daredevil. Always a fan of him!! Absolutely HATED that they murdered him off in such a horrible manner.
    It was extremely rare for a hero to have kids and he wandered around trying to keep a baby safe AND do good deeds helping where he could. It was a neat concept.
    All to bring back BUCKY!?!? Horrible decisions all around there >.<
    It really was a horrible scene. I mean, drunk, stumbling, then shot int he back and tossed in a trunk? (To this day, I think, how can someone so upstanding as Captain America be okay with this - brain washed or not, as Bucky may have been!)

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I first became aware of him during the Mike Zeck era in the 80's, when he first re-appeared (and Cap beat his ass on sight, assuming he was another Bucky imposter sent to screw with his head). I loved the character (have even read some of his 50's appearances), and held out hope that he wasn't really shot dead and left in the trunk of a car. By the true Bucky, no less. Jeez.
    I know the Grand Director is still out there, somewhere...would be nice to see Jack back, as well.
    In the world of comics, anything is possible - even though, they've shown Bucky visiting Jack's grave, and being remorseful what he's done... Doesn't mean Jack's really there. (After all, Captain America was shot and killed... supposedly... And he's back!) What if the Jack Monroe that Winter Soldier killed was a Skrull? I'd be okay with that - as lame as it would be - if it meant having the real Jack Monroe back!

Poor guy. So unappreciated even his name is misspelt in his appreciation thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Poor guy. So unappreciated even his name is misspelt in his appreciation thread title.
    Hah! Totally missed that I "Jacked" up his last name - I edited my original post and corrected the subject there, but it looks like it doesn't correct the "title" of the thread as to how it's displayed.

I was reading some old Gruenwald Cap a week or so ago (from around the time when The Captain helps Diamondback rescue the loyal Serpent Society members from the Viper), and all of those scenes where Nomad was arguing with D-Man were pure gold. He came off as such a douche but I found all those insults and sick burns really hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by areacode212 View Post
    I was reading some old Gruenwald Cap a week or so ago (from around the time when The Captain helps Diamondback rescue the loyal Serpent Society members from the Viper), and all of those scenes where Nomad was arguing with D-Man were pure gold. He came off as such a douche but I found all those insults and sick burns really hilarious.
    Hah! Those issues were fun. (I love the Serpent Society and really took a liking to Diamondback - I honestly thought she was headed for the Avengers soon, back then...)

And it's really all too easy to toss insults at D-Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    It really was a horrible scene. I mean, drunk, stumbling, then shot int he back and tossed in a trunk? (To this day, I think, how can someone so upstanding as Captain America be okay with this - brain washed or not, as Bucky may have been!)
    Yeah, as much as I may have liked the Winter Soldier arc, that really pissed me off.
    In the world of comics, anything is possible - even though, they've shown Bucky visiting Jack's grave, and being remorseful what he's done... Doesn't mean Jack's really there. (After all, Captain America was shot and killed... supposedly... And he's back!) What if the Jack Monroe that Winter Soldier killed was a Skrull? I'd be okay with that - as lame as it would be - if it meant having the real Jack Monroe back!
    Actually, I have another theory (it's old, and I conneted it wiuth the specifics in time a while ago, so I can't rememmber the details now). Basically, when they revived Jack for the Scourge program, Jack started to rebel and not play along well, so they put him back on ice and clonned him. And that was his sickness at the time of his death: clone deterioration. So, the real Nomad is still around on ice in some hidden govenment facility, waiting to be brought back and put in action again.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, as much as I may have liked the Winter Soldier arc, that really pissed me off.
    I don't suppose your user name was inspired by the Nomad character?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, I have another theory (it's old, and I conneted it wiuth the specifics in time a while ago, so I can't rememmber the details now). Basically, when they revived Jack for the Scourge program, Jack started to rebel and not play along well, so they put him back on ice and clonned him. And that was his sickness at the time of his death: clone deterioration. So, the real Nomad is still around on ice in some hidden govenment facility, waiting to be brought back and put in action again.
    Peace
    Dude. I need to get you hired at Marvel. I love that.

All-New Member

So Cap still does not know the deal between Nomad and Winter Soldier? If not, why couldn't this be shoehorned in Original Sin?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGunn View Post
    So Cap still does not know the deal between Nomad and Winter Soldier? If not, why couldn't this be shoehorned in Original Sin?
    If Steve doesn't know he'd be OK with it because he would understand that bucky wasn't himself when it happened.
    X-Men Forever

I recently read THE WINTER SOILDER, and man, poor Jack. All he wanted to do was do something good before dying, and in reality it was just his mind playing tricks on him.

I don't suppose your user name was inspired by the Nomad character?
    Nope. On a Brazilian series of Sci-Fi books. But I was always a fan of the Nomad identity also, going right back to when Steve Rogers fisrt created it.

Dude. I need to get you hired at Marvel. I love that.
    Thank you.

Peace

As far as Cap being okay with what Winter Soldier did... typically in comics mind control gets you a free pass eventually. Not necessarily overnight... but sooner or later it works out that way. So I can buy that.

But as far as Nomad coming back... the way comics works, it's probably inevtiable. He'll probably be resurrected to be some sort of villain for Bucky. wanting revenge or whatever. I think he'll get the Jason Todd treatment to an extent.