Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hercules-The Lion of Olympus: Appreciation

Aaahh, Heracles. Or Hercules, whatever suits you. A character as old as time (well, not really, but you get the idea, so just roll with it), the one who set the templates for our modern heroes. He was the first super-hero, if you will... A man against all odds, fighting for Mankind against the tyrannical Gods. He and his enormous strength gave us a wide array of adventures that are still celebrated to this day, cementing him as not just a Hellenic hero, but a cultural icon.

Like most, I was introduced to Marvel's version of Hercules through the good ol' Avengers. Herc, Black Knight, Captain Marvel, "all new" heroes for an all new era. An eclecting bunch of characters if anything, but a group that generated some really fun stories. But, as with most people, the version of Hercules that really grabbed me was the one "hijacking" the Hulk's title, the "Incredible Hercules". An excellent run, with great art, that managed to prove that the right writter, can make anyone interesting. Even long forgotten characters, based on a mythological icon whose story has been told countless times.

So just give the poor fellow some love, will ya? Because who knows, without him Superman, the granddaddy of super-heroes might not have existed. And in turn, your favourites might have been nothing more than simple thoughts in their creators' minds as well... Oh and, not to forget about it, buy the new Hercules book... What are you waiting for? Go and support the Lion of Olympus!

BANNED

Nice thread my brother but please don't tell me that the last scan represents what Hercules is going to be wearing in the new book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Nice thread my brother but please don't tell me that the last scan represents what Hercules is going to be wearing in the new book.
    Yep, that's his new battle look. It's not great, but it fits Abnett's story. Herc's essentially feeling like he doesn't belong. He's a relic from another time, a hero from another place. So he tries to keep up with technology in an attempt to not be left behind. It's definitely a bitter-sweet book, as it features both Herc trying to move on, and Gilgamesh being the total opposite. Accepting his fate and that fact that he's just another hero in a world full of them, and just...giving up. It's intriguing and different from the usual "me bad-guy, you good-guy, we battle now" books. And we need different books (that's the main reason why I'm so excited for the new BP ongoing, because even though the story has been done before, a purely "political" super-hero book would be unique).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Yep, that's his new battle look. It's not great, but it fits Abnett's story. Herc's essentially feeling like he doesn't belong. He's a relic from another time, a hero from another place. So he tries to keep up with technology in an attempt to not be left behind. It's definitely a bitter-sweet book, as it features both Herc trying to move on, and Gilgamesh being the total opposite. Accepting his fate and that fact that he's just another hero in a world full of them, and just...giving up. It's intriguing and different from the usual "me bad-guy, you good-guy, we battle now" books. And we need different books (that's the main reason why I'm so excited for the new BP ongoing, because even though the story has been done before, a purely "political" super-hero book would be unique).
    I'm not happy with this sartorial departure.

He looks like a wannabe Ares.

BANNED

I don't really mind it, but I'll agree that he looks like a 90s anti-hero crossed with Ares. I'd have rathered this one:

It's still a bit too busy, but it does away with the man-baun and Vegetahelmet and adds the lion mane, which I adore.

BANNED

I don't really mind it, but I'll agree that he looks like a 90s anti-hero crossed with Ares. I'd have rathered this one:

It's still a bit too busy, but it does away with the man-baun and Vegetahelmet and adds the lion mane, which I adore.
    I like this better too, but nothing beats the classic look.

BANNED

I like this better too, but nothing beats the classic look.
    Classic as in his Avengers garb (bearded or non-bearded) or the one he sported in the Pak run? Personally, while I also like the old-school Avengers one, I'll have to go with the "Incredible Hercules" look. It just looked Godly.

That definitely seems like Abnett's style. I guess Hercules would feel even more out of time than Steve Rogers would.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Hercules shouldn't feel out of time with modern times. He's not like Rogers who was frozen in time and then woke up decades later.Hercules has actually lived his life through the ages up to today but just doesn't want to or can't be bothered to change with the times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That definitely seems like Abnett's style. I guess Hercules would feel even more out of time than Steve Rogers would.
    In a way, I'd say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Hercules shouldn't feel out of time with modern times. He's not like Rogers who was frozen in time and then woke up decades later.Hercules has actually lived his life through the ages up to today but just doesn't want to or can't be bothered to change with the times.
    Well, see, the thing is, Herc's lived for millenia. So I think it's more of a case of just not wanting to live anymore. Imagine seeing all your loved ones wither and die, while you remain as youthful as ever. After a while I presume you'd get used to it, but I bet that that'd be a terrible feeling. You're essentialy treating people as nothing more than passerbys in a way. And it's evident in the 1st issue that he's kept up with the times, he says so himself. But still, when you live through such big "gaps" between the dominant civilizations, it's bound to create some personal problems.

BANNED

Classic as in his Avengers garb (bearded or non-bearded) or the one he sported in the Pak run? Personally, while I also like the old-school Avengers one, I'll have to go with the "Incredible Hercules" look. It just looked Godly.
    The Incredible Hercules look was very good.

BANNED

The Incredible Hercules look was very good.
    I know right? It looked Godly without looking ridiculous. You ask me, Herc, Thor and King T'Challa (Cape & Gold Accents) have some of the best costumes in comics. They just look otherwordly without looking cheesy. It's not a easy feat to accomplish.

BANNED

It is, to me, a very scary look

BANNED

I see a wannabe Ares in it as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Yeah, he is indeed not like Steve Rogers