Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default From the farthest corners of space, A Marvel Cosmic Appreciation

For everything from teams, alien races, cosmic heroes and villains, cosmic entities and the various cosmic wars of old and new.

Collected Events:

The Kree/Skrull War

The Infinity Gauntlet

Infinity War

I present to you

The Marvel Cosmic Appreciation
    Last edited by stingnewell; 10-21-2014 at 06:12 PM.

BANNED

First up, an origin of the Kree/Skrull war

Many centuries ago, two races were living on the planet Hala - the Kree and the Cotati. They couldn’t have been more different, the Kree were Hunters and meat-eaters, the Cotati were evolved plants with telepathic-empathic abilities. One day the Skrulls landed on the planet, back then they were a very friendly race that attempted to share their knowledge with other people, in exchange for their loyalty to the Skrull Empire.

Finding two equally evolved species, the Skrulls decided to hold a contest, the winning race would become the official representors of Hala. Of each group seventeen people were selected and both teams were transported to an uninhabited planetoid, where they should build, develop and grow. After one year the progress of both parties would be judged. The Kree team was taken to Earth’s moon, where they immediately began to mine and refine, and they built a gargantuan blue city. The Skrulls were very impressed, but the progress of the Cotati was even more astounding. The plant race had accomplished to turn a barren planetoid into a fully grown forest and garden by telepathically calling out to ancient seeds and water.

The Kree could not stand to loose the competition, and at night they killed almost all Cotati and the Skrull crew of the visiting spaceship. Examining their craft the Kree too learned the secrets of interstellar travel. This was the start of the century-old enmity between the Kree and the Skrulls.

Last edited by stingnewell; 09-29-2014 at 06:54 PM.

BANNED

I wish Marvel would have continued the Inhuman rule over The Kree. It had more potential than what Marvel is currently doing with them.

All-New Member Commander Rogers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    I wish Marvel would have continued the Inhuman rule over The Kree. It had more potential than what Marvel is currently doing with them.
    I agree. Also I'm surprised we haven't seen Drax reunite with Cammi. Wonder if its gonna happen.

BANNED

For all Nova fans and Richard Rider fans check out the Nova webcomic NOVA 619

http://images1.cosmicbooknews.com/nova619/

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    I agree. Loved seeing thearriage between Ronan and Crystal. Shame it all went away so Hickman could tell his bland story.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I agree. Loved seeing thearriage between Ronan and Crystal. Shame it all went away so Hickman could tell his bland story.
    Agreed I really liked the relationship the two had with each other. I was also okay with Thanos dead he got his wish, Drax fulfilled his goal now trying to figure out his new purpose with the Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    It didn't go away for any Hickman story... it went away because Marvel was putting back all the old school powers nearly exactly as they were before in the cosmic landscape and the whole thing with a potential Inhumans movie.

But I do agree, breaking the two up so Crystal and her kid can disappear in the wave of new Inhumans and crap was weak. Heck, her and daughter Luna being around Ronan during Infinity probably would have made his eventual disregard of the Supreme Intelligence's advise on fighting better.
    Last edited by Wellman; 08-14-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

The cosmic side of Marvel sure is seeing a bit of a resurgence at the moment. We currently have GotG, Rocket Raccoon, Star-Lord, Silver Surfer and Nova with another Guardians book upon us. I'm loving Rocket Raccoon so far but I have a whole lot of hope riding on GotG 3000. The current stuff (specifically GotG, Nova and SS) is just not on the same level as the Giffen/DnA books and I hope 3000 can rectify that problem.

I'm also really happy to see Hickman taking the Avengers in a more cosmic direction.

Oh yeah, would love to see Cammi return to space soon!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    The cosmic side of Marvel sure is seeing a bit of a resurgence at the moment. We currently have GotG, Rocket Raccoon, Star-Lord, Silver Surfer and Nova with another Guardians book upon us. I'm loving Rocket Raccoon so far but I have a whole lot of hope riding on GotG 3000. The current stuff (specifically GotG, Nova and SS) is just not on the same level as the Giffen/DnA books and I hope 3000 can rectify that problem.

I'm also really happy to see Hickman taking the Avengers in a more cosmic direction.

Oh yeah, would love to see Cammi return to space soon!
    Bendis is a writer find should stick to gritty noir stories as to the new Nova I don't care for character given how much I've hated him in the cartoon. As to Silver Surfer it looks promising mainly for Allreds art. It will be good to see DNA return they have been sorely missed in the cosmic books.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Heh, the art on Silver Surfer is one of the sticking points for me. It's a little retro for my tastes. Whilst I don't think the current books are amazing I'm just glad they seem to be doing well overall. I want to see the cosmic side fully established and for it to live on beyond the current writers.

Like I said, really looking forward to 3000 as I know Abnett can deliver the goods. Oh yeah, no Lanning involved this time. Plus, I never read the original Guardians so I'm pretty intrigud.

BANNED

Would Abigail Brand and SWORD be considered part of the Marvel Cosmic or still stuck within the X-men mythos? I want to say I see potential with them but so far they've been portrayed equivalent in incompetence with SHIELD. What changes do want to see done with SWORD to handle the cosmic side of Marvel?

BANNED

Annihilation, the book that jumpstarted the recent cosmic resurgence, should be required reading for anyone who is tired of events because its the perfect example of how great an event can be when done right.

BANNED

Next up is Phyla-Vell origin

After Genis-Vell, then known as Captain Marvel, previously destroyed and recreated the universe, the "new" version was subtly altered with Phyla-Vell's existence being one of the changes. It is revealed that she is the second artificially created offspring of Captain Mar-Vell who was created by her mother Elysius in the "new" universe because her first attempt (Genis-Vell) had been so successful. Initially her origin conflicted with previously established storylines, but this is resolved in Captain Marvel (vol. 4) #18 (February, 2004).

She fights her brother Genis-Vell, who was insane at the time,[3] in the process helping to restore his sanity. She then tries to lay claim to the "Captain Marvel" title, though her brother refuses to give it up. Phyla is next seen at the trial of Starfox.

Phyla had her own mini-series as the new Quasar, stating July through October 2007, called Annihilation: Conquest – Quasar. The series was written by Christos Gage (who wrote Union Jack), penciled by Mike Lilly. Phyla is finding it hard to follow the footsteps of the former Quasar and also to follow in the Mar-Vell family’s footsteps. The story is a lot about her trying to handle this power, and seeing if she can contain it. She’s on a quest, and the object of the quest has real importance, not only to her, but to the entire storyline. Phylla and her lover Moondragon follow a voice to find the saviour for the Kree race who is attacked by the Phalanx. In the end it turns out 'the voice' is the Supreme Intelligence of the Kree; thanks to the Supreme Intelligence they find a cocoon, in which Adam Warlock is restoring. The cocoon breaks open and Phyla and Moondragon ask Warlock to help them fight against the Phalanx. This story was continued in the main mini-series Annihilation: Conquest.

Now calling herself Martyr, Phyla-Vell is a more abrasive and aggressive figure. When the Guardians attempted to negotiate with the Inhumans to stop the War of Kings, she ruined the attempt by taking Inhuman princess Crystal hostage instead; this led to battle between the Inhumans and Guardians, while she continued to escalate.[volume & issue needed] Eventually, the Inhumans would try to end the war by detonating a weapon that shattered space itself, creating a multiversal Fault.[volume & issue needed]

When Adam Warlock stopped the Fault's growth by using a redundant timeline, one where he became the villainous Magus, Phyla-Vell revealed that her deal with Oblivion was to kill "the Avatar of Life" and she'd know what to do when the time came. Knowing he would now become Magus, she ran Adam through but this failed to stop his transformation. Several of the Guardians, then stranded in the year 3009, were then sent back in time to stop Magus' creation and Phyla was prevented from making her move. This time when Warlock was transformed, she engaged him in combat - but Magus magically teleported her own sword from her hands and slew her with it.[10]

However, Phyla was revealed to still be alive, along with Mantis, Gamora, Cosmo and Major Victory, but trapped in suspended animation and prisoners of the Magus.[11] She then breaks free and frees the other Guardians, but after a fierce fight she is misled by Maelstrom into freeing Thanos, who was concealed inside a cocoon. When the two teams of Guardians reunite, Phyla-Vell is reported as the first victim of Thanos' rampage, her remains seen by Mantis but never shown on panel. She is later mourned by the Guardians on Knowhere.[

I like Phyla-vell ...as Phyla-vell ..why cant she just be that? Not everybody has to have some groovy name.