Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    laura's "safe is lame" motivation is kind of flat to me.
    Yeah. this is one of the times the characterization felt lame. Looks like some Adam X extreme caricature

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yeah. this is one of the times the characterization felt lame. Looks like some Adam X extreme caricature
    How is Laura feeling uneasy of mutants’ safety in any way comparable to Adam X??? Laura wasn’t even the focus of the issue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    How is Laura feeling uneasy of mutants’ safety in any way comparable to Adam X??? Laura wasn’t even the focus of the issue.
    i think they meant it felt like the "i need constant action to feel satisfied" trope that we've seen applied to characters before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    i think they meant it felt like the "i need constant action to feel satisfied" trope that we've seen applied to characters before.
    Yeah, the trope of people addicted to adrenaline.

I think like someone said, wording culd had helped this feel better and wholesome

X-23 isn’t addicted to adrenaline or constant action, but she’s always been dedicated to a mission. To actually arrive at a point where safety and tranquility is accomplished is rough on her. That’s why she and Cable are on the team.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

always dedicated to a mission....yeah! that's good way to put it. In other words, like a soldier, or a maybe a predator.

Sounds to me like some people couldnt read the story as is because they wanted to write it themselves....

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I have some doubts about that, but Laura should be questioning the ressurrection mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The story is interesting so far, but I'm ambivalent on characterization so far. There's a bit too much Bendis in X-23's dialogue for my liking. And of all the reasons I can think of why she would dislike being on Krakoa spoilers:
    simple boredom
    end of spoilers wouldn't even chart.
    spoilers:
    X-23 and Cable did get less characterization then Psylocke did, but fair enough for a first issue of a series setting up a team series that's she's the leader of.

Not so sure that it was just boredom, though. While "safety sucks" might seem like a petty reason for Laura to join Psylocke, the context was: "I don't feel anything. Becauase nothing here [on Krakoa] matters." Also, there's Psylocke's assessment: "...You're a solider and you need a war...None of us have a place in paradise." and Larua's explaining that she wants to get out of her father's shadow (whatever that means). May not be the most profound, but does fit with Laura's seeming tendency to always be looking for another mission.

As far as earlier comments r.e. Laura seeming to be more violent then she'd been in the recent past, it does seem to be somewhat situational. In the All-New Wolverine series, she and Gabby got pretty brutal taking down a slaving ring and in Tamaki's X-23 relaunch, she made it clear that she'd kill the people responsible for Gabby's kidnapping if she couldn't save her sister.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It doesn't fit though, its the battle Laura has been fighting against since like forever. She is not a rabid dog that needs someone to mark prey for her to sic, and Cable is not some brainless soldier (who is ok with being a willing offer for Sinister to molest?). Their characterizations were ****, and clearly just being forced to fit into new Psylocke's story.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It doesn't fit though, its the battle Laura has been fighting against since like forever. She is not a rabid dog that needs someone to mark prey for her to sic, and Cable is not some brainless soldier (who is ok with being a willing offer for Sinister to molest?). Their characterizations were ****, and clearly just being forced to fit into new Psylocke's story.
    Didn't seem that way to me. (As far as the bolded; What the what?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    X-23 not being characterized on Krakoa the way you wanted her to be is not by definition bad characterization though. It’s one thing if you wanted her to rebel against this new nation, but the books never promised you that she would do that. You just wanted her to.
    It's called being inconsistent or regressing a character. Isn't that why most hated Bendis's X-Men run? Because characters acted different, out of nowhere?

If the reasoning for joining this team is boredom, I'm sure Hellion and Surge aren't far behind. We know their action happy selves are bored as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    At the very least ignores a lot of her recent characterization altogether (IE the whole casual clone resurrection is directly opposed to her most recent solo series, where she was specifically trying to STOP the creation of any more clones). And it's yet ANOTHER character with close ties to non-mutant friends and/or family whose close ties pretty much have to be ignored for the whole Krakoa premise to work. Never mind she's on MULTIPLE occasions told either the X-Men or Avengers where to stick it over the exact sort of "Us vs. Them" mentality Krakoa is built on.

Also, Laura being casually down with Kwannon wanting to kill people is at odds with her more recent position. Even where people hurting children are concerned (IE Captain Ash and her pirates) she held back from killing anything human/sentient.
    Welcome to my side of the forum. Where we helplessly watch our favorite characters get butchered, and others justify it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    It's called being inconsistent or regressing a character. Isn't that why most hated Bendis's X-Men run? Because characters acted different, out of nowhere?
    I don't think Laura is regressed here. YMMV.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't think Laura is regressed here. YMMV.
    She is a bit. In her solos, Laura had purpose beyond just looking for her next mission, however that was due, in part, to looking after her little sister Gabby. She reacted to brewing trouble rather than actively seeking it out.

Perhaps she's just venting the loss of her and retreating back to old coping mechanisms; time will tell I suppose.

Gabby isn't dead or anything, at least I don't think. She's conspicuously absent so far though.

Laura is the one character I think would be most opposed to Krakoa just based on her recent character arc. First there's her acknowledging clones as separate people and trying to stop their creation and use as weapons. Then there's the lengths she had gone to bridge grudges people had against her and Wolverine; to the point of working with a human group made up of victims of their rampages. Going off to the mutant hidden elf village kinda gets in the way of that