Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Cheetah wrecked Wonder Woman in their first fight.

Then she lost in the third act as we all knew she would. That fight was pretty par for the course. I'm not sure what you expected. Movies don't need to adhere to battle board rules.

Look how Cheetah's handled in animation. I'd say the fight is pretty par for the course of how DC usually treats modern Cheetah.

I don't know if people were expecting some Wonder Woman Bloodlines Cheetah or Geoff Johns New 52 Justice League version of Cheetah, but we got a decent fight. Cheetah's the only one who presents a real physical threat to Diana the entire film. I don't care if the bullets from the guards hurt. Those cannon fodder guys weren't threat to Diana, even while depowered.

And for me, I could tolerate that CGI better than the Ares fight in the first film, where he goes Magneto and is flinging CGI scrap left and right.
    What did i expect? I expected her to not be so weak that she would go down because she got electrocuted. Diana was holding back and still easily restrained her.

The you post proves my point. DC treting Cheetah as a human cat lady is not the tea. According to her origin. She is supposed to be powered up by a God. She is supposed to be strong enough to trade blows with WW and have greater super speed than WW. Nothing of that was shown in WW84.

Instead of getting electrocuted she should've kept fighting Diana until she lost her Cheetah form after Lord renounced his wish.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    What did i expect? I expected her to not be so weak that she would go down because she got electrocuted. Diana was holding back and still easily restrained her.

The you post proves my point. DC treting Cheetah as a human cat lady is not the tea. According to her origin. She is supposed to be powered up by a God. She is supposed to be strong enough to trade blows with WW and have greater super speed than WW. Nothing of that was shown in WW84.
    She did this in both fights in '84, Wonder Woman didn't knock her out in one blow then move on like nothing. Cheetah was the only opponent in the movie who was a physical threat to Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    She did this in both fights in '84, Wonder Woman didn't knock her out in one blow then move on like nothing. Cheetah was the only opponent in the movie who was a physical threat to Diana.
    She did not. The first fight was against a Diana that lost most of her power. In the second fight, Diana wasn’t trying at all, she was just trying to talk Cheetah into rescinding her wish. Diana low diff‘d Cheetah on screen without throwing a single punch. Diana pins cheetahs arms to her sides for almost a full minute without a problem. Proving they were no comparable in strength at all. And then she electrocuted Cheetah.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Cheetah didn't get her power from Max, she got it from the source the same way he did. And she totally did have a plot of her own it just wasn't the central one.

She was far more powerful than she is in the comics. Wonder Woman was losing even with the golden armor until Cheetah got electrocuted.
    Her mutant cat form was 100% the result of Max giving it to her, that was the more powerful form for the climax.

She wasn't the central antagonist, which I repeat will not be the end of the world as long as she shows up again in WW3. But one of Diana's arch enemies playing second fiddle to a non-WW baddie in a movie is far from ideal if this is where her story ends.

Astonishing Member

She did not. The first fight was against a Diana that lost most of her power. In the second fight, Diana wasn’t trying at all, she was just trying to talk Cheetah into rescinding her wish. Diana low diff‘d Cheetah on screen without throwing a single punch. Diana pins cheetahs arms to her sides for almost a full minute without a problem. Proving they were no comparable in strength at all. And then she electrocuted Cheetah.
    It's not like Diana was helpless, she still mowed through normal opposition like nothing - soldiers needed military vehicles and missiles to hurt her. Of course Diana was taking it easier on her, the didn't mean Cheetah wasn't f***ing her up. She was trying to talk Chhetah down in both fights, but they still fought well.

Barbara was able to be at a higher level than Diana herself when she didn't know her powers and its been shown that Diana's powers grow stronger like MCU Captain America. She did incredibly well despite not having any fighting training, something Diana had as a child. Electroting Cheetah was being smart, it's not like Barbara shouldn't had weaknesses to exploit. It showed how smart Diana was in her battles, rather then punching people to death.

Cheetah's not Ares.

I'm sorry but that is not true. WW was on deffensive mode the whole time and still wasable to restrain her. And going down by getting electrocuted is anything but powerful.
    Why? It's not like she's somehow immune to it. Electricity is very powerful, the fact it didn't kill her outright is a feat in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why? It's not like she's somehow immune to it. Electricity is very powerful, the fact it didn't kill her outright is a feat in and of itself.
    She went down too easily. Would you expect WW to go down that way? If so then i guess your notion of a tanky character is dfferent from mine.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 12-29-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's not like Diana was helpless, she still mowed through normal opposition like nothing - soldiers needed military vehicles and missiles to hurt her. Of course Diana was taking it easier on her, the didn't mean Cheetah wasn't f***ing her up. She was trying to talk Chhetah down in both fights, but they still fought well.

Barbara was able to be at a higher level than Diana herself when she didn't know her powers and its been shown that Diana's powers grow stronger like MCU Captain America. She did incredibly well despite not having any fighting training, something Diana had as a child. Electroting Cheetah was being smart, it's not like Barbara shouldn't had weaknesses to exploit. It showed how smart Diana was in her battles, rather then punching people to death.

Cheetah's not Ares.
    WW was weakened through most of the movie. It is not her feats that i am judging here. Because there is context behind her performances. She did well based on the context.

Barbara never was on Diana's level. She defeated a very weakened Diana at the white house.

Her battle with Cheetah was beyond tragic. Diana easily restrained her, proving Cheetah was nowhere near her strength level. Cheetah did not even show super speed moves. And her durability level was tragic. Going down to a simple electrocution is not something that should happen to a high tier.

Incredible Member

She went down too easily. Would you expect WW to go down that way? If so then i guess your notion of a tanky character is dfferent from mine.
    But Wonder Woman was in the same electrified water, and it didn't phase her at all.

Most people would die instantly, Cheetah was only temporarily knocked out. That's a powerhouse example to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    But Wonder Woman was in the same electrified water, and it didn't phase her at all.

Most people would die instantly, Cheetah was only temporarily knocked out. That's a powerhouse example to me.
    It was a good feat for Diana. Since i would a expect a character on that power caliber to not be defeated by some simple electrocution. But Cheetah was tragic. Going gown like thatt, her durability was tragic.

Most people? Cheetah is supposed to be far above peak human level. She is powered up by a God for heaven's sake.

Incredible Member

WW was weakened through most of the movie. It is not her feats that i am judging here. Because there is context behind her performances. She did well based on the context.

Barbara never was on Diana's level. She defeated a very weakened Diana at the white house.

Her battle with Cheetah was beyond tragic. Diana easily restrained her, proving Cheetah was nowhere near her strength level. Cheetah did not even show super speed moves. And her durability level was tragic. Going down to a simple electrocution is not something that should happen to a high tier.
    In their White House battle, Barbara is outrunning bullets with ease. Not one even grazes her. I also thought the final Cheetah form showed a lot of agility, strength, and speed with the way Cheetah used the power lines for momentum, leverage, and offensive tactics against Diana. I thought both came off as skilled, but the difference was Diana was a lot more aware of her surroundings than Cheetah; hence, Cheetah's downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    In their White House battle, Barbara is outrunning bullets with ease. Not one even grazes her. I also thought the final Cheetah form showed a lot of agility, strength, and speed with the way Cheetah used the power lines for momentum, leverage, and offensive tactics against Diana. I thought both came off as skilled, but the difference was Diana was a lot more aware of her surroundings than Cheetah; hence, Cheetah's downfall.
    Diana overpowered her easily without throwing one single punch. Cheetah did not show great striking force, no super speed and wasn't very durable with the way she went down.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Not sure who to blame but I wanted more from the character.

Tying her origin to Max Lord was probaby inevitable in this film, but I find her comic book god-related origins much cooler.

Without trying to rewrite the movie completely, I think she would have been a lot more memorable if:

1. We got to see her transform into Cheetah. Maybe gradually, her eyes changing first, after tasting the blood of the harasser she beat up. Some narrative reason beyond "apex predator" would have helped as well.
    2. She had shown up at the White House already as Cheetah, not just a strong Barbara, and scratched up Wonder Woman a few times. This would have later justified the armor. (if we wanna add more, she could have cracked open one of her old mythological books for an effective poison.)
    3. We got a better coordinated and better final fight. Personally I would have liked a more natural setting, like a nearby forest, with Wonder Woman getting ambushed left and right and both interacting with the environment. Swinging on the electric wire in the dark was really not that compelling.

La'Ron Readus talks about how both Barbara Minerva and Selina Kyle in Tim Burton's Batman subvert the Beautiful All Along trope by showing how it doesn't make them their best selves.