Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    That's classic internet for you. "I heard an out of context quote from a third hand source and now I'm totally against this guy!"

As for today's issue, it was a strong start. Not mind-blowing but certainly solid. Biggest strength was Coates' characterization of Steve. Coates' voice for Steve is confident right out of the gate, which bodes well for this run. I also liked his Sharon and the dynamic between her and Steve.

Not a lot to go on yet in regards to the threat Steve is going to be facing but the character work here engaged me enough to feel like this is on the right track.
    As for classic Internet

That's modern society in so many ways

It's a shame in many ways, but it's also played in both directions in some regards too

Which just fuels the problem

in regards Coates - I read an interview he did about cap, in it he describes himself as an opinion journalist iirc, which I felt was very important for me to understand his perspective

if I've recalled details incorrectly it's an honest mistake

it was very useful as I'm not too keen on that kind of thing, and I really appreciated the clarity and frankness

I certainly appreciated his efforts on panther, I just felt it was more a Wakanda book and he was a supporting character so it wasn't for me, so I dropped after 12 issues

but it was very skilled in the work

I do think I'll try this as a trade to see the first arc

As I recall he said in the same interview, I think on cbr but I'm not sure, that he woukd need to find caps voice for the book

That reassured me hugely

I am very hopeful especially after I felt Spencer lost it with secret empire

ill trade wait in anticipation

Astonishing Member

That's classic internet for you. "I heard an out of context quote from a third hand source and now I'm totally against this guy!"

As for today's issue, it was a strong start. Not mind-blowing but certainly solid. Biggest strength was Coates' characterization of Steve. Coates' voice for Steve is confident right out of the gate, which bodes well for this run. I also liked his Sharon and the dynamic between her and Steve.

Not a lot to go on yet in regards to the threat Steve is going to be facing but the character work here engaged me enough to feel like this is on the right track.
    I agree.

People like to deride Coates for his work on Black Panther. Many claiming it is very pedestrian in pacing. But this first issue had a surprising amount of action. It also carries a confidence and clear vision. His voice for Steve is particularly strong. Loved the fact that he seems to be inclusive regarding Steve's support cast and mythology (Bucky, Sharon, etc.) He also doesn't shy away from addressing Secret Empire. He even has Sharon comment on all the stuff she has experienced since Dimension Z.

Yes, It isn't groundbreaking. However It didn't need to be. All it had to do was be a solid, strong start. This issue achieved that immeasurably.

Plus it is great to see Yu back on an ongoing again. Not sure how long he will stick around, but he definitely still delivers the goods in the pencil department.

My money was wasted on this issue. I did not care for it at all. Maybe I have been away from comics too long, but this is not the CA I am used to. I felt a weird vibe from the story, and it was depressing and more like a Daredevil moody story than any Cap story I have ever read. I will not be buying any more of this run; I will wait until Cap feels like Cap again to me. No offense to those that liked the issue, just wasn't my cup of joe.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I really enjoyed this. However, it probably felt like more of a complete story when read together with the lead-in story from Free Comic Book Day (I'm surprised that they didn't reiterate that Alexa was the one behind the Nuke clone attack in the issue proper, but I'm sure it'll come up again). I have high hopes for the next issues.

Extraordinary Member

I agree that Coates' voice for Cap was solid as was Yu's phenomenal art. Sharon was heartbreaking here and it felt like a very natural follow up to Secret Empire. While I enjoyed Waid's brief run immensely Coates' run raises the stakes and I'm very curious to see where he takes this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Sharon was great and Selene was hot in this.

Good start!!!

"These men brought terror to the capital of the free world" no American actually believes this right? This statement is so insulting and so wrong on multiple levels.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    "These men brought terror to the capital of the free world" no American actually believes this right? This statement is so insulting and so wrong on multiple levels.
    Why?

Is Washington DC considered the capital of the free world? Yes.

Do we see terrorists bringing terror to it? Yes.

Seems like a fairly clear statement of fact all around.

Why?

Is Washington DC considered the capital of the free world? Yes.
    No, it isn't. The idea that there is a "leader of the free world" or "Capital of the free world" is debatable and the term has mostly fallen out of use. And even if there was a "capital of the free world" there would be an argument to make for Brussels or Germany.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I disagree

I had heard from a number of areas, that they had intended to keep him evil from a good while longer to have another dark reign like period, and then revert him after that
    That's very, very unlikely.

With Dark Reign you had the villains masquerading as the heroes. Osborne was a viewed as a savior of the Secret Invasion and a reformed character and to help pull off their con they actually engaged in super heroics. Non Avengers related characters did not have their stories disrupted by it and for the regular people of the Marvel Universe nothing changed. The conceit that Marvel was set in something very like the real world still worked.

For Secret Empire to be a Dark Reign-esque status quo for let's say a year the they'd have to have the protagonists openly acting nazi-like detaining people and putting them into camps and characters like Spider-Man, Ms Marvel and the like whose primary selling point is talking place in a relateable setting and have writers with a lot of pull talking a break from their high selling stories to join the rest of heroes holed up in a bunkers fighting with the resistance.

That would have been incredibly gutsy and an interesting read but I don't think Marvel has the juice for that. A handful of months were Hydra rules, sure and like most events a few titles got to sit it out and gloss over it happening but a year were every in-continuity title would be effected would be a massive logistical undertaking that I just can't see it. It would be like if the 90s Age of Apocalypse was longer and effected every Marvel title as opposed to just the X-Men related ones.

I'm sure aspects of the story changed over time and probably as a result of fan reaction but leaving Cap as Hydra for longer is a lot different to having their entire world ruled by evil Hydra Cap.
    Last edited by Orbus; 07-04-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Mighty Member

I'm assuming you aren't American or else our heightened sense of self-importance wouldn't surprise you, however, it has become such a parodied stereotype that I'm still surprised you're surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I'm assuming you aren't American or else our heightened sense of self-importance wouldn't surprise you, however, it has become such a parodied stereotype that I'm still surprised you're surprised.
    I assumed most of the parodies were exaggerated. But if any American really believes that, I can see why that stereotype is parodied.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

No, it isn't. The idea that there is a "leader of the free world" or "Capital of the free world" is debatable and the term has mostly fallen out of use. And even if there was a "capital of the free world" there would be an argument to make for Brussels or Germany.
    We have an ego and we believe we are leaders of the free world despite history and present day saying otherwise.

Spectacular Member

really, really loved this first issue. I think Coates is benefitting from Cap’s pre-existing circle. He doesn’t have to do so much world building like he did with Wakanda in his BP series. With Cap, he gets right down to business and pulls it off well. I think he’s got a good handle on Steve’s voice, and Sharon’s too. And I’m very happy Bucky is already getting some love.

I think Coates is taking the rubble of Secret Empire and exploring it in an interesting way without having to bog down his own tale. A Steve unsure of himself and out of his element is a flawed Steve I can appreciate. The politics are there, yeah, but not too heavy-handed.

Also, is Selene a new character? I don’t recognize her from anything. I’m excited to see how Steve handles her vicious methods of taking down hydra.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post

Also, is Selene a new character? I don’t recognize her from anything. I’m excited to see how Steve handles her vicious methods of taking down hydra.
    No, she's a long time X-men villain.