Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I find it weird to have Cyclops fainting and then back again all ok. I just have a FEELING he's some kind of Emma's mental projection, but I'm just saying. He got better too quickly.
    I thought the same thing. If he's down, and that's her doing the talking, then she's the one responsible for the war on the Inhumans. That would also explain the quick jump from "wait and see" to "we're at war".

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Scott's characterization started well but then Scott behaved like Magneto in the end with the "war" talk.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. When he said that they had to be 100% sure I was so happy, yes, Cyclops does not make rash decisions(or any hero for that matter when in character). Then he suddenly goes Inhumans are our enemies. And I was like what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Maybe they thought it was fog? Lol.
    Magik could tell it was gas when they landed, but Scott discounted it in favor of pushing forward to find out what happened/any survivors.

Magik seems to be the only one so far to really stop and think in this conflict.

This issue was a pretty bad start. The idea of contrasting both sides was interesting but yeah there wasn't a good balance and we didn't really get much from the X-Men side of the story other than dread. I am still interested in how this will end, but issue 1 was just not really good.

Things I did dig:

-The point that the Mist affects mutants to varying degrees. At least that's something real and not just inconsistent writing.
    - Cyke being infected, kinda obvious, but at least if he will do something extreme in this series it might be justified (Though I still can't think what would be so extreme about it)
    - All of the X-Men working together (Okay just Iceman and Beast) but it was a nice change of pace.

Things that I really didn't enjoy:

- Creepy Inhumans are creepy. I don't know if it was the creepy smiles this artist does or just because we are getting this after we know how bad the outcome to all of this is, but I just didn't like or see any of the Inhuman's POV, and aside from joking around here I want Marvel to prove me wrong about this idea, but I still see them as pretty naive cultist.
    - Illyana being the contrarian rubs me the wrong way. I see her point, but she seems like the wrong character to use for this. This is all coming off as just a way to justify the her feelings towards Scott in Extraordinary rather than something that feels in line with her. I hope we get more out of issue 2 from her, but I think it would've been better if Bobby had been the one saying her lines.
    -Maddrox. **** you with a rusty spoon, Marvel.

5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Magik could tell it was gas when they landed, but Scott discounted it in favor of pushing forward to find out what happened/any survivors.

Magik seems to be the only one so far to really stop and think in this conflict.
    There's that, too. It was a careless decision for them not to proceed with caution, ie maybe some gas masks, before marching out of the Blackbird. Do ya'll still think he's a better leader than Storm?

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    - Illyana being the contrarian rubs me the wrong way. I see her point, but she seems like the wrong character to use for this. This is all coming off as just a way to justify the her feelings towards Scott in Extraordinary rather than something that feels in line with her. .
    Yea.
    Illyana being the contrarian (if that's the case -- haven't gotten a copy yet) would really only make sense if all the events from the Last Will and Testament actually took place (rather than being erased by that damn Aussie) when she began doubting Scott's because of his handling of Matthew Malloy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yea.
    Illyana being the contrarian (if that's the case -- haven't gotten a copy yet) would really only make sense if all the events from the Last Will and Testament actually took place (rather than being erased by that damn Aussie) when she began doubting Scott's because of his handling of Matthew Malloy.
    Yeah, again, it's not that it doesn't make sense in the issue. As other have pointed out, Team X was not being as cautious as they should be here, but it felt like they were setting up a dynamic that has not been earn. Of course, this could all be first issue clunkiness, since again, the issue is just not executed well, but given how she was handle in Ex-Men my expectations are quite low.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I just read the issue. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great. I'd say it was about average, if not slightly above. I agree that the Racist Xenophobic Slave Owners came of as...creepy. They carried themselves like this brainwashed cult that isn't allowed to think unhappy thoughts about anything and give excessive love to everyone as a way of indoctrinating them into their racism, xenophobia, and pro-slavery stances. I actually rooted for Hydra in this issue. How sad is that?

It was nice to see Cyclops and Emma Frost again. They basically carried themselves the same way they did prior to Secret Wars. They never get too personal. They never get too melodramatic. Given the context of this story, that's probably appropriate. At the very least, we can say Cyclops was reasonable in making sure that the big green cloud that the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners worship was the true cause of this carnage. However, he seems to make quite a leap when assuming that the Racist Xenophobic Slave Owners knew about it. Then again, it is their giant cloud. How could they not know its effects? So it's not quite a leap and when it's killing his people, including one of his teammates, I'd say his reaction is appropriate.

However, this issue does make one thing clear. Cyclops is not being mentally manipulated or controlled. This confirms part of my earlier predictions for when this event was announced. Whatever Cyclops does in the next three issues, he'll do of his own volition. And it will be framed in the most sinister, evil way possible. He will effectively complete his Walter White journey into becoming as evil as possible, which is what Marvel needs him to be in order for his O5 counterpart to overcome. I could still be wrong, but the end of this issue seems to make any possibility of a ruse to be unlikely. This is going to be Cyclops going nothing less than full genocidal. I expect this message board to have many debates about his actions for years to come.
    I think you're right. It's rather obvious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    There's that, too. It was a careless decision for them not to proceed with caution, ie maybe some gas masks, before marching out of the Blackbird. Do ya'll still think he's a better leader than Storm?
    Cyclops had become too isolated from everyone else to think clearly, and the same is true of Emma. They could have had Forge or Beast send in drones to test the gas and scan for survivors. Magik could have teleported for that. But I think this is ultimately meant to show Scott's total meltdown before he gets killed.

BANNED

A solution to the mists has yet to be determined.
    So, simply because the mists are still out and about -- both spawning NuHumans and infecting Mutants -- doesn't mean that nothing is being done. It just means we aren't seeing whats being done.
    We know Beast is actively working to find a cure. Its a safe assumption that alternatives to containing the mist must have been considered, because....I mean... SOMETHING must be sooooooo super unique about this damn cloud that our weather manipulators and force field generators and telekinetics etc etc etc still cannot CONTAIN the darn thing, right?

Or, at least, that is what I remain hopeful will be explained.
    Until then, I blame Blackbolt and Blackbolt alone. With strong paranoia in regards to his stupid brother's meddling.
    We've seen Storm blow the cloud away from mutants. So yes they can affect and remove it. They will need to go war with the Inhumans to resolve the issue if they do that. That's why they were looking for a cure.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Black Bolt is to blame for all this, but why isn't the inhuman royal family holding him accountable for his actions? Have they done anything to him for what he has done to earth? No, they haven't to my knowledge. That makes them just as guilty to me.

#FukInhumans

Extraordinary Member

Yea.
    All she does is say variations of "this place is dangerous," "we should be careful," "I've got a bad feeling about this" as they explore the island, ask Cyclops if he's ok when he cough's and after he has a mist-induced attack, and ask if he blames the Inhumans. The only thing she's contrarian about in the whole issue is safety. Which, admittedly, is a little weird coming from her of all people.

I do have to give Aaron Kuder props for drawing the creepiest art I've personally seen in a while. That scene with all of dupes of Madrox was terrifying in a way, not to mention sad for Madrox/X-factor fans. I wasn't sure I was gonna read this because it was a prequel but I'm definitely invested in what's going to happen now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Overall I enjoyed it! I liked the grim & dark story of the X-Men vs. the bright & exciting story of the Inhumans.

It seems like most of PAD's X-Factor has been wiped from the memories of Marvel editorial, so I am not surprised Madrox was on Muir Island and not on his farm with Layla.

I did not have an issue with Magik's role. She seemed pretty in character to me based on how Bendis & Lemire have written her over the last few years.

Looking forward to seeing how the next 3 issues play out!