Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defining Nubia

Default Defining Nubia

So, DC seems to making a genuine effort to increase Nubia's presence and make better use of her. I think most would agree that's a good thing. I think she can be a welcome presence in Diana's life.
    Problem is no one seems too sure what exactly her origin and backstory is or should be. Admittedly, this relates to DC as a whole, as continuity is all over the place across the board...up to and including Wonder Woman herself (how old is she now? was she in World War II? still Zeus' daughter? was she an only child?)

Anyway--staying on Wonder Woman--although many specific details are subject to change and fans have their own preferences, there are always crucial beats that almost always stay the same no matter the continuity or interpretation.
    In Diana's case, she's never just an Amazon, there's always something special about her--whether she's the first/only child of Themyscira, or the daughter of a god, or blessed by the gods. Whether it's during a World War or modern day, her mission is always heralded by Steve Trevor crashing onto Themyscira. Whether she enters the Contest or not, she always leaves against her mother's wishes.

So, when it comes to Nubia (or Nu'Bia as she was called Post-Crisis) we've seen a few variations on what her deal is. And, like Diana, I expect we all have our own preferences for her origin and backstory, but what are the crucial beats that define her? What, no matter how she's re-imagined, are the things that Nubia must have to be who she is?

- Particular kinship/link to Diana
    Arguably her most defining element. The most famous take on this being she's Diana's literal twin sister. Sometimes she's Diana's twin in a more figurative or metaphorical sense. The only exception I think is Post-Crisis, but even then, they were linked as Amazon Champion--Diana being the latest, Nubia the very first (and greatest?). Whatever the case, Nubia is never just another Amazon. There's always something that links her to Diana specifically.

- Diana's equal?
    Tying into their kinship, whether it's because they're twins or she's blessed by her own gods--or she's just that badass--Nubia is usually presented as Diana's physical equal or at least on par with her.

- Separation & Reconciliation
    A recurring element is Nubia and Diana are always separated for most of their lives. Pre-Crisis, she was kidnapped by Ares. Post-Crisis, she goes into Doom's Doorway for a thousand years. Maybe she just left Themyscira altogether? Whatever the case, it leads to her and Diana reuniting and, more importantly, reconciling after some initial antagonism.

- Harsher personality?
    Whatever separated Nubia from Diana usually plays into her having a harsher or more aggressive personality. Maybe? Whether it was being raised by Ares or spending so long behind Doom's Doorway, Nubia contrasts Diana's idealism and compassion with a more pragmatic and serious approach.

I haven't been following Nubia & the Amazons (yet) so I don't know how much here--if anything--still applies.
    Agree? Disagree? Am I missing something?

Nubia's appearances since Future State/Infinite Frontier (Nubia and the Amazons, the main WW book, and Young Diana) check off I would say at least three of those four boxes I'd say.

She's reincarnated from the Well of Souls around the same time as Diana's born, along with being the first reincarnation in a while, so it makes them connected/equals in a certain sense. They also go with the guardian of Doom's Doorway but the YD backup seems to show Diana paid her visits as a kid and may/may not have been something of a mentor/mentee relationship.

I'll wait and see what the current 'Nubia and the Amazons' mini series does for the character. So far I'm liking the direction the series is going in.

I disagree with your last point that Nubia is the harsher, pragmatic one as opposed to Diana's idealism and compassion. If anything, that's Diana's dynamic with Artemis.

WW #780 and N&A has shown what separates Diana and Nubia:

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I disagree with your last point that Nubia is the harsher, pragmatic one as opposed to Diana's idealism and compassion. If anything, that's Diana's dynamic with Artemis.
    I see Diana's dynamic with Artemis as more of "level-headed vs. hot-headed." Nubia is more...I'm hesitant to say colder, but somewhere along those lines.

Like, I see the three of them having a dynamic like Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in Star Trek with Diana as Kirk, Nubia as Spock, and Artemis as McCoy. Or similar to Dragon Ball's Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta with Diana as Goku, Nubia as Piccolo, and Artemis as Vegeta.

Obviously, not a one-to-one analogy. But I see Diana as the compassionate idealist, Nubia is the stoic pragmatist, and Artemis the hot-headed aggressive.
    But I'll admit I could be off on Nubia there.

Well, you're off since her current characterization isn't 'stoic pragmatist'.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

When it comes to a Wonder character....DC don't know what defining is. She's already had like 5 different origins/appearances throughout different comics within the year.

Nubia’s character is fairly inconsistent right now. (But it’s comics so what else is new )
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

There’s clues that show she’s Diana “sister” in some way. The goddesses from the last NATA issue they called Diana her sister. In the Infinite frontier book Hippolyta said something about “a mother should never see her child die” something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Well, you're off since her current characterization isn't 'stoic pragmatist'.
    Like I said, I haven't been following Nubia & the Amazons. I might check out the trade though.

But...Diana is "truth," Nubia is "understanding"? Diana's gift is "knowing," Nubia's is "distinguishing"? Do they elaborate on what the hell that's supposed to mean? I'm not going to lie, as far as contrast goes, that sounds pretty weak.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I'm curious to see how Nubia fairs against DC's general readership in the coming years. Is third time the charm?

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I'm curious to see how Nubia fairs against DC's general readership in the coming years. Is third time the charm?
    What third time? This is Nubia's first book and so far it's great. Shes always been a popular concept though with more than three incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    What third time? This is Nubia's first book and so far it's great. Shes always been a popular concept though with more than three incarnations.
    I think they are referring to this being Nubia's third time being introduced into main continuity. The previous times she was introduced she kind of fell by the wayside. Hopefully, that doesn't happen again.

Nubia & the Amazons Writer Stephanie Williams on Wonder Woman, Fandom & Themyscira as Accessible Utopia

I know how things work. If you do not give a character X amount of powers, it's a problem. Basically, if you don't do exactly what someone exactly wanted you to do, then it's a problem, but the thing is, it's still my story to tell, just as though if you had that same opportunity, it would be your story to tell. So, although things have been overwhelmingly positive for Nubia, I take it for what it is, then I move on to the very next thing because you kinda have to do that. Ask me this question again, maybe four months from now. It'll be the same thing, but a little bit more, "See I told you."
    https://www.teenvogue.com/story/nubi...iams-interview
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    When it comes to a Wonder character....DC don't know what defining is. She's already had like 5 different origins/appearances throughout different comics within the year.
    Yeah I hope the current mini manages to reconcile all of them. The main new element right now is that she was born from the well of souls on the same day Diana was. But they also reference her time as the Champion of Doom's Doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Nubia’s character is fairly inconsistent right now. (But it’s comics so what else is new )
    Everybody has Hawkman and Donna Troy levels of radioactive continuity now.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    There’s clues that show she’s Diana “sister” in some way. The goddesses from the last NATA issue they called Diana her sister. In the Infinite frontier book Hippolyta said something about “a mother should never see her child die” something like that.
    Aren't all Amazons sisters?

Diana and Nubia are connected but most likely not in the same way as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Like I said, I haven't been following Nubia & the Amazons. I might check out the trade though.

But...Diana is "truth," Nubia is "understanding"? Diana's gift is "knowing," Nubia's is "distinguishing"? Do they elaborate on what the hell that's supposed to mean? I'm not going to lie, as far as contrast goes, that sounds pretty weak.
    I took it as a nod to her original story where she had to distinguish between her real enemy and her real friends as well as understanding her role and place in the world.

Then I read the Nubia & the Amazons story and realized that it was foreshadowing for her role in story. Understanding her role and place in the Amazonian world and distinguishing between friends and antagonists as Queen.

I don't want to give away too much spoilers. I have my own theories on where they are going with the mini but there are also so many ways the dots can be connected at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think they are referring to this being Nubia's third time being introduced into main continuity. The previous times she was introduced she kind of fell by the wayside. Hopefully, that doesn't happen again.
    It's not the thir9d time, that's my point.