Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Underrated - Eduardo Risso. Drew 100 straight issues of 100 Bullets with an amazing style. He is one of the few artists that can draw a face from different angles and there's no mistaking who that character is.
    This is true. He kept a series without superheroes, magic or sci-fi visually interesting for one hundred issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

In addition...

Risso handled the art for the Batman arc "Broken City" right in the middle of that run, and jumped right back into 100 Bullets.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Goran Parlov (PunisherMax)
    Goran Sudzuka (Y-the last man)

John Francis Moore (Batman Family)

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Goran Parlov (PunisherMax)
    I love his work. He reminds me of Alex Toth - which can only be a good thing.

Overrated:
    Pia Guerra - I like Y: The Last Man well enough, but the oppressively bland art really drags it down.

John Cassaday - He worked quite well on The Planetary, but outside of that, his work is just too static - and I really don't like the faces he gives a lot of his characters.

Also want to add Pat Mills to underrated writer, the influence he has had on comics is massive on top of being a great writer bringing us Slaine, Nemesis, Marshall Law and ABC Warriors. He also launched 2000 AD and then we had Alan Moore, Steve Dillon, Brian Bolland, Kevin O'Neill, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, Alan Davis, Neail Gaiman, Dave Gibbons, Mark Miller, and Peter Milligan all come through for some of their earliest works so not only amazing writer he also gave many extremely talented young writers and artist a chance to show off.

BANNED

Overrated…
    • Dan Slott
    • BM Bendis
    • Mark Waid
    • Matt Fraction
    • Grant Morisson
    • Scott Snyder

Most of these writers book sell because they have their hands on marquee characters. Give them a book at Image or let them write a minor character and the book would be cancelled after 6 issues. The other writers it’s just fan-fiction stories only suitable for sub literate 15 year old boys.

I don’t know how we attribute the term underrated but for me it’s:
    • Cullen Bunn
    • Steve Orlando
    • Marjorie Liu
    • Chris Yost
    • Sterling Gates
    Writers whose stuff I can re-read and whose books I learn from. Which is as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Talbot did LOTDK Mask, which is a very underrated Batman story. It actually has two versions, the original published version and director's cut version in Batman Dark Legends TPB.
    Tale of One Bad Rat puts Talbot up a few notches as well. Damn fine piece of work, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Overrated…
    • Dan Slott
    • BM Bendis
    • Mark Waid
    • Matt Fraction
    • Grant Morisson
    • Scott Snyder

Most of these writers book sell because they have their hands on marquee characters. Give them a book at Image or let them write a minor character and the book would be cancelled after 6 issues. The other writers it’s just fan-fiction stories only suitable for sub literate 15 year old boys.

• Cullen Bunn
    • Steve Orlando
    • Marjorie Liu
    • Chris Yost
    • Sterling Gates
    Writers whose stuff I can re-read and whose books I learn from. Which is as it should be.
    You do know Morrison has done a ton of long term work on minor characters right? Morrison and Snyder have done mini-series with Image that have done well and they have done multiple books with Image. Any of those writers Image would love to have as they would sell like crazy. I get saying they are overrated as I do agree with the majority of them being highly overrated especially Snyder, Fraction (HATE his books), and Slott. However it is crazy to think it is just because they have marquee characters, makes your argument seem silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Pretty shocked someone listed Alan Moore as underrated, he is one of the most acclaimed writers in comics. He may not be what he once was, but I would never call him underrated.

I would say at least in America that John Wagner is criminally underrated true comic genius, does not really do to many new books, but still working on characters he created 40 years ago like Johnny Alpha delivering high quality stories with co-created with Carlos Ezquerra who is also underrated in the states.
    hey, that someone was me, my friend XD

i suppose my argument is that i think alan moore is even better than his greatest admirers do. also, i find lately his reputation has been dragged thru the mud in a lot of online circles, due to his constant use of rape as a plot device. tho such things certainly do require a critical re-examination, i honestly believe it to be obvious that moore is an unparalleled creator, especially in terms of american superhero comics. nobody else brings it like he does, at least, in my opinion.

i'm with you on john wagner. were there any justice in this world, that guy'd be swimmin' in money. same with paul grist.
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN / PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN / BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER / RENEW YOUR VOWS / SPIDER-MAN / SPIDER-GWEN / VENOM / GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE / X-MEN GOLD / X-MEN BLUE / ASTONISHING X-MEN / GENERATION X / WEAPON X / JEAN GREY / ICEMAN / ALL-NEW WOLVERINE / OLD MAN LOGAN / CABLE / ARCHIE / BETTY & VERONICA / JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS / JUGHEAD / RIVERDALE / SABRINA

🖤🖤 read my MARVEL fan fiction 🖤🖤 read my weekly MARVEL reviews 🖤🖤

Quote Originally Posted by poorzero View Post
    hey, that someone was me, my friend XD

i suppose my argument is that i think alan moore is even better than his greatest admirers do. also, i find lately his reputation has been dragged thru the mud in a lot of online circles, due to his constant use of rape as a plot device. tho such things certainly do require a critical re-examination, i honestly believe it to be obvious that moore is an unparalleled creator, especially in terms of american superhero comics. nobody else brings it like he does, at least, in my opinion.

i'm with you on john wagner. were there any justice in this world, that guy'd be swimmin' in money. same with paul grist.
    Yeah sadly at this point Moore is not doing himself any favors with his distaste of modern comics, but what he has done for story telling in comics has been great. Online you will get a vocal minority, but his rep has taken hits however he is one of the few writers that when I finish a book I read again like right away to pick up on little things.

John Wagner and Pat Mills place is comics should be much higher the influence they have had on the industry is insane so many big writers and artist came through books they created. I find it very weird that they never clicked in the states when so many other UK talents have been embraced. Although I do not think either of them want to deal with higher ups, they have been able to do what they want since late 70s I cannot see them liking DC or Marvel rules when the UK invasion happened in the late 80s they were already veterans compared to the other young UK talent that blew up.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Overrated…
    • Dan Slott
    • BM Bendis
    • Mark Waid
    • Matt Fraction
    • Grant Morisson
    • Scott Snyder

• Cullen Bunn
    • Steve Orlando
    • Marjorie Liu
    • Chris Yost
    • Sterling Gates
    Haha. Morrison overrated. Ha *breath* ha

Yost & Gates hahahhaahahahahahahahha *breath* ha

Morrison has a unique voice not everyone likes. Ok. But he's always an interesting read.
    Bendis is great on crime/street level books.
    The rest of your names still need to prove their relevance.

Morrison has a unique voice not everyone likes. Ok. But he's always an interesting read.
    I think Bunn has the skills to last long term, but the idea that the overrated list would not sell at image really really surprised me. Image would throw money at all 6 of them for a monthly book as they know it would sell well just based on name of creators and many big artist who have worked with them would jump to be on an Image book with them. .

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Mike Baron: Wrote Nexus, which is essentially The Punisher meets Star Trek meets the Sandman.
    It's a shame Nexus is not widely remembered today as it deserves.

BANNED

You do know Morrison has done a ton of long term work on minor characters right? Morrison and Snyder have done mini-series with Image that have done well and they have done multiple books with Image. Any of those writers Image would love to have as they would sell like crazy. I get saying they are overrated as I do agree with the majority of them being highly overrated especially Snyder, Fraction (HATE his books), and Slott. However it is crazy to think it is just because they have marquee characters, makes your argument seem silly.
    Indeed.
    You either didn’t read my entire post or English comprehension is not your forte. Here it is again for you:

Next time you might want to fully read the post you are replying to.

However it is crazy to think it is just because they have marquee characters, makes your argument seem silly
    Right back at you. .

Oh so you're one of the sub literate 15 year olds I was talking about!

As far as I can see the only one who needs to prove their ‘relevancy’ is you given the fact that you suffer from the same lack of reading comprehension that the other poster did. Here’s the original question that the poster posed:
    Who are the most underrated and overrated comic book writers and artists in your opinion.
    You do you understand what the word opinion means don’t you? Or are you just a message board nazi who thinks they speak for everyone. But I guess that's not surprising given the tenore of your posts.

I honestly thought that CBR had a better no trolls policy. Time to make adjustments to my profile settings.
    Last edited by Mia; 06-27-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

You do you understand what the word opinion means don’t you? Or are you just a message board nazi (or whatever fascist you love) who thinks they speak for everyone. But I guess that's not surprising given the tenure of your posts.

I honestly thought that CBR had a better no trolls policy. Time to make adjustments to my profile settings.
    ? I'm sorry that's a pretty serious accusation can you please elaborate? I never said I speak for anyone or told them their opinion was wrong. You need more legitimacy with your claim.

What is exactly the problem you have with me?

It's sort of foolish comparing someone to a Nazi without a valid reason why, including evidence.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-27-2017 at 08:00 PM.